Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,743

Re: Felony Charges: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#41 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 8, 2022 3:46 am

I'm a lawywr dude, I know how the system works.

ETA: Apparently California is unique in that by statute in some circumstances a civil settlement can result in dismissal of a criminal charge. Notably charges related to domestic violence are specifically excluded from that result

https://josephhollander.com/no-quid-pro-quo-settling-civil-claims-while-criminal-charges-are-pending/
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,990

Post#42 » by Diop » Thu Sep 8, 2022 4:07 am

yosemiteben wrote:I'm a lawywr dude, I know how the system works.

ETA: Apparently California is unique in that by statute in some circumstances a civil settlement can result in dismissal of a criminal charge. Notably charges related to domestic violence are specifically excluded from that result

https://josephhollander.com/no-quid-pro-quo-settling-civil-claims-while-criminal-charges-are-pending/

and if you're witnesses do their best to not give evidence? make claims they were under the influence when making their affidavits (making them unreliable). What would you have for court? This sitting is to show the judge what evidence they have, if that happens it could make it difficult to have a case. Injuries and photo's alone aren't enough, you need evidence on how they occurred. you need someone to talk in the stand.

I'm in Australia so our laws are different, but domestic cases are always the most common to not go the distance.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,405

Post#43 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 8, 2022 11:54 am

The state of CA is not going rogue here. They're gathering testimony, and it's up to the victim and her attorney to determine the level of evidence she submits to the court as they possibly press Miles and his representation to settle any civil matters. So we could have a negotiation with a civil case that influences the criminal proceedings.

The victim is not going to go scorched Earth and give the state everything because it will cost her financial security.

The state isn't going to lock up Miles without the necessary testimony. And that all comes from the victim.

She's driving the bus.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#44 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 8, 2022 5:08 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:The victim is not going to go scorched Earth and give the state everything because it will cost her financial security.

(a) Obstruction of justice is a questionable legal strategy, particularly with how public she was in identifying what happened.

(b) You seem to be making some major assumptions about her financial wellbeing and her level of interest in pursuing this case.

MasterIchiro wrote:The state isn't going to lock up Miles without the necessary testimony. And that all comes from the victim.

She's driving the bus.

She doesn't really have a choice, she can't just decide not to testify if she's been subpoenaed.

And, again, the prosecutor is not going to change how it is handling the case because Miles is negotiating a settlement with his wife (assuming that is even happening). Based on that California statute, it appears that is specifically excluded as a basis by which charges can be dismissed.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#45 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 8, 2022 5:11 pm

Diop wrote:

and if you're witnesses do their best to not give evidence? make claims they were under the influence when making their affidavits (making them unreliable). What would you have for court? This sitting is to show the judge what evidence they have, if that happens it could make it difficult to have a case. Injuries and photo's alone aren't enough, you need evidence on how they occurred. you need someone to talk in the stand.

They have police reports, medical reports, and contemporaneous documented accounts from the victim.

It also is a completely unsubstantiated assumption that the victim is somehow not being cooperative.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#46 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 8, 2022 5:21 pm

In case anyway wants to independently verify anything about the case, you can go here: https://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/

Case number is SA106817
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#47 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 8, 2022 10:50 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:The victim is not going to go scorched Earth and give the state everything because it will cost her financial security.

(a) Obstruction of justice is a questionable legal strategy, particularly with how public she was in identifying what happened.

(b) You seem to be making some major assumptions about her financial wellbeing and her level of interest in pursuing this case.

MasterIchiro wrote:The state isn't going to lock up Miles without the necessary testimony. And that all comes from the victim.

She's driving the bus.

She doesn't really have a choice, she can't just decide not to testify if she's been subpoenaed.

And, again, the prosecutor is not going to change how it is handling the case because Miles is negotiating a settlement with his wife (assuming that is even happening). Based on that California statute, it appears that is specifically excluded as a basis by which charges can be dismissed.

If she is providing testimony for the incident, then she is cooperating with the subpoena.

They're not going to interrogate her about past patterns of abuse.

And she can report the events she recalls.

Obstruction of Justice would be if she refuses to provide ANY testimony about the incident.

If there is no civil suit related to this criminal proceeding, I'm genuinely curious to know your thoughts on who filed for continuation. If it's the state of CA, what are your thoughts on potential reasons they might need to extend the hearing considering they have custody of all that contemporaneous evidence? Can the victim file for continuation? Can the culprit? And why would they? Genuinely curious.

I guess I've heard plenty enough from you explaining what's not happening and correcting our assumptions, but I haven't heard anything from you about your read on the continuance.
It has been written...
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,990

Post#48 » by Diop » Thu Sep 8, 2022 10:55 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Diop wrote:

They have police reports, medical reports, and contemporaneous documented accounts from the victim.

It also is a completely unsubstantiated assumption that the victim is somehow not being cooperative.

I’m not making assumptions about this case, I’m just talking about the shenanigans that commonly occur. You stated it’s impossible for it not to continue now.

Reports and notes corroborate a witnesses testimony, you still need that witness to give evidence.

Criminal law can be a messy game and isn’t really about right and wrong, it’s about what you can present in court. Yes I’m a cynic

The fact that miles appeared to make zero public effort to show remorse etc I do agree it appears unlikely this is going anywhere but to trial.

He’s really been getting terrible advice and management
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#49 » by yosemiteben » Fri Sep 9, 2022 1:14 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I guess I've heard plenty enough from you explaining what's not happening and correcting our assumptions, but I haven't heard anything from you about your read on the continuance.

There is nothing to read. Continuances can happen for a ton of reasons ("we don't have a plea agreement yet" not being one of them), and it doesn't make sense to me to just arbitrarily guess why. If someone wants to get enterprising, you probably could find the minutes from the proceedings somewhere. If you actually are curious what a basis for a continuation could be (at least in NC), check this out: https://www.nccourts.gov/assets/documents/local-rules-forms/160.pdf

Could be:

Judge got sick / has a sick kid / had a death in the family / got in a car accident

Defense counsel got sick / has a sick kid / had a death in the family / got in a car accident

Prosecutor got sick / has a sick kid / had a death in the family / got in a car accident

Key witness got sick / has a sick kid / had a death in the family / got in a car accident

Judge or defense counsel wanted more time to prepare

Judge / defense counsel / prosecutor had other cases that interfered

Defendant wants new counsel

The standard is good cause - you have to show good cause for the continuation if you are asking for it, because courts don't like continuances in criminal proceedings so they are not inclined to grant them. The defendant has a constitutional right to a speedy trial, so it's a lot easier for the defense to get a continuation than for the prosecution.

Here's a relevant blurb from a California treatise on this:

Continuances, including in trailing cases, may only be granted on a showing of good cause. The burden is on the moving party to show good cause that the continuance is necessary. The moving party must present evidence supporting the motion; including affirmative proof that the ends of justice require a continuance. The evidence may include supporting affidavits or declarations, or, on a showing of good cause, an oral offer of proof. The opposing party is entitled to conduct cross-examination of affiants, declarants, or witnesses named in the offer of proof.

In deciding whether good cause for a continuance has been shown, the court must consider the general convenience and prior commitments of all witnesses, including peace officers. These considerations must also be taken into account in selecting a continuance date, if the motion is granted. Any witness or party to the case may offer facts as to inconvenience or prior commitments. However, neither the convenience of the parties nor a stipulation of the parties constitutes good cause in and of itself.

If the court grants the motion, it must state on the record the facts proved that justify its finding, and enter the facts in the minutes. The court may grant a continuance only for that period of time shown to be necessary by the evidence presented at the hearing. It must also state on the record and enter in the minutes the facts justifying the length of the continuance granted.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#50 » by Rich4114 » Fri Sep 9, 2022 1:31 am

Does the fact that they aren’t California residents factor into this in any way at all? Just curious
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,203

Post#51 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Sep 9, 2022 2:07 am

Rich4114 wrote:Does the fact that they aren’t California residents factor into this in any way at all? Just curious

Not at all.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,810

Post#52 » by winforlose » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:32 am

@Yosemiteben has been spot on in his analysis all the way through. You should listen to him. The state has an interest in prosecuting. They do not need the cooperation or consent of the victim or the children to do so. The evidence she has already provided is admissible, and while spousal privilege could be used to avoid subpoenaing the wife, the children can be subpoenaed and forced to give testimony. Bottom line is Bridges cannot buy his way out.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,378

Post#53 » by CuseMayne » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:17 pm

Court hearing today...y'all think it'll get delayed again? I'm sure it will :banghead:
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,378

Post#54 » by CuseMayne » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Preliminary hearing again continued to September 29th.

Training camp starts September 27th.

Cool.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#55 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:13 am

I hope that Charlotte is working behind the scenes trying to rehome Miles to Michigan. Or at least they're discussing the possibility with his agency and with the Pistons.

Honestly, his presence on the roster long term could damage LaMelo's brand, and his brand is interwoven with the Hornete brand due to his superstar potential.

Superstar treatment starts with cleaning up this mess, friendship or not. It's not like LaMelo doesn't understand the business side of the game. He's appeared in at least three commercials that I know of. He knows he's an entertainer and embraces it. His sponsors don't want to touch Bridges. Puma is **** powerful and influential. They laid down 100 million for LaMelo over 10 years.

Miles' fanbase has taken a huge hit. Hopefully, the Pistons fans are like ours - falling in love with other team's best players.

This could turn out to be a toxic relationship. So, at least open up dialogue on potential relocation scenarios. I don't see why Miles would oppose going home if the Pistons love his game.

Let them work out the longtetm contract situation. But get him on the QO now and deal him at the deadline, for Saddiq Bey. Big drop-off but Bey is a proven winner and NCAA champion. Villanova is turning out really solid NBA players. Good pedigree.

Maybe Bouknight develops into Melo's new favorite target before Bouk chokes out Clifford.
It has been written...
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,611

Post#56 » by HornetJail » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:15 am

MasterIchiro wrote:I hope that Charlotte is working

ha good one
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#57 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:16 am

Cade Cunningham signed with Nike. So relieved it's not Puma. Dodged a bullet there. Jordan Brand also remains in tact.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#58 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:23 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:I hope that Charlotte is working

ha good one

It's funny you imagine "cheapskate" MJ just giving away money out of the goodness of his heart rather than blowing up Kupchak's phone with at least some regularity.

The man is paid to work and the owner counts his money. He's a **** billionaire. They count.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#59 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:32 am

So, for me, I hope the way Miles ended in Atlanta influenced talks around contract and location. And I hope that the Duren trade is more than meets the eye and is part of a preixisting dialogue with the Pistons on the Miles question.

The money is obviously in question now.

Maybe Miles sensed or Klutch knew the Hornets soured on a longterm deal after Atlanta but connected to behavior behind the scenes leading up to that outburst.

Do yall remember Miles throwing the ball at PJ so hard before PJ's inbound that Miles broke PJ's finger or thumb? Other than LaMelo, who can get along with anyone, did Miles display anger issues with his teammates or was the PJ incident isolated? Or part of a pattern that includes the mouth guard in ATL? The relationship dynamic? The rap entourage? The narcotic beverage?
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#60 » by yosemiteben » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:18 am

There is no way a team is considering trading for Miles or engaging in discussions about it while it's possible that he is going to jail.

Return to Charlotte Hornets