Woj: PJ to DAL

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Re: Woj: PJ to DAL 

Post#41 » by Robot Rock » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:38 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
LofJ wrote:Seth has gone on record to say he doesn't want to play in Charlotte.

Never heard this before, when was this?

Last June he was quoted in the Greenville News: "You always think about it. Growing up a Hornets fan, watching my dad play, you always think about one of us wearing that No. 30 Hornets jersey in the modern era," Curry said. "But like I always say, you never know in this league."
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#42 » by KembaWalker » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:46 pm

I always kind of assumed it was Dell actively keeping Seth away from this team because were such a mess. Probably doesn't care anymore now that he's on the way out of the league
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#43 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:49 pm

amcoolio wrote:I imagine the 1st was because the Mavs wanted Williams off their team, because that is insane we got that pick

I think both players will excel in their new situations. We really need a dawg like Grant and PJ will have the best looks he's seen in his life in Dallas.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#44 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:54 pm

Grant Williams is the vice president of the NBAPA, he is a smart guy. Still only 25 former first rounder.
He has been pretty bad for Dallas, but Dallas plays a very strict way and my hope is that standing in the corner just wasn't a good mesh for his game and personality.

He also is a guy that is a bit of an enforcer, **** talker, which we probably need. Defensively I think he is an upgrade over PJ at the 4, but he doesn't have the ability to play small ball 5 like Pj.

Hopefully he can rehab his value here because if he does then this is a clear win of a deal for us.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#45 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:58 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Grant Williams is the vice president of the NBAPA, he is a smart guy. Still only 25 former first rounder.
He has been pretty bad for Dallas, but Dallas plays a very strict way and my hope is that standing in the corner just wasn't a good mesh for his game and personality.

He also is a guy that is a bit of an enforcer, **** talker, which we probably need. Defensively I think he is an upgrade over PJ at the 4, but he doesn't have the ability to play small ball 5 like Pj.

Hopefully he can rehab his value here because if he does then this is a clear win of a deal for us.

Yeah, a number of people on here wanted us to sign him over PJ last summer. We need vet tough guys in the worst way and he fits the role. If he is Miles back up next year that is A-OK.

I think that the Mitch haters on here need to re-evaluate a bit after today. We are positioned pretty well to be good in the future. Those 4 2027/8 salary slotted first rounders we should have are going to be great when we have Melo/Miles/Miller and hopefully Mark making actual $ then.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#46 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:05 pm

Dallas and Us did a limbo in the offseason over PJ and Grant. Both of us wanted them both. You can make the argument we got that 1st round pick for free.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,169

Post#47 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

I like PJ and wanted them to keep him, but this value for him works. If Grant turns things around this could be really good.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,872

Post#48 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:10 pm

Grant Williams might just be the leader we needed. He's like Draymond with his mindset. He's going to get players to play hard. Hopefully the team reacts. We have a new group of players hopefully they all change the mentality of the team.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#49 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:11 pm

This kind of locks Dallas into their current team. Not sure I like them using their last pick this way. PJ really needs to thrive with them to make this work, but I think he is better than what he showed here the last couple years dealing with the train wreck situation in Charlotte, so hopefully it works out for everyone involved.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#50 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:13 pm

Wow
Grant and curry (if kept) definitely two players to help reset some of the culture here.

Very impressed with Mitch today

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 849

Post#51 » by juanc » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:15 pm

Need to ask you guys, what are PJ's strenghts/weakneses? How is his defense? How do you see the fit in Dallas?

Thanks in advance!
Braggins
RealGM

Post#52 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:22 pm

juanc wrote:Need to ask you guys, what are PJ's strenghts/weakneses? How is his defense? How do you see the fit in Dallas?

Thanks in advance!

This team has been such a disaster defensively that its kind of drug him down, but he is above average and pretty versatile. He can move with wings and is a sneaky decent rim protector. Plays fairly smart. His effort was inconsistent here, but I think playing in a winning environment will help with that. Hes kind of a weak rebounder, though.

On offense he can make shots when guys create decent looks for him and he can put the ball on the floor a bit. He is a pretty smart passer and good in short roll situations.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#53 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:38 pm

Cliff will miss PJ being able to slide to the 5, Grant is smaller I don't think that is really in his game. Could mean more Miles at 3, Grant at 4. Overall excited to see how the new pieces mesh.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM

Post#54 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:40 pm

PJ looked like he was blossoming into a legit good starting level glue guy when the team was competitive for Borregos last two years. Hes been pretty inconsistent for the last two injury riddled disaster seasons with Clifford as coach.

Hes a ceiling raiser type and not a floor raiser, so its not unusual for those types of players to not look very good on bad teams. Theres a solid chance PJs best days have yet to come.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#55 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:51 pm

PJ is a jack of all trades master of none player. On a good team he will shine because he can do a little bit of everything. He's the kind of role player that most winning teams covet to compliment their star players.

We obviously are NOT a winning team, but hopefully that will change in the near future (please basketball gods have mercy on us).
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#56 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Good luck in Dallas. Will probably look really good on a good team. Good haul of resources.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#57 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

I really like PJ and think this could be great for his career, probably not the *best* landing spot but a decent one nonetheless
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,266

Post#58 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:03 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Dallas and Us did a limbo in the offseason over PJ and Grant. Both of us wanted them both. You can make the argument we got that 1st round pick for free.

Yes and no. We were always in the drivers seat with PJ as we had his restricted free agent rights though.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,266

Post#59 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:08 pm

Overall pretty good trade here by Mitch. My only question is what happens to the pick on the off chance it doesn't convey in 2027? Does it go unprotected in 2028?

Also we are taking on an extra year of salary in the fourth year here for Grant Williams. He has also never averaged over 8 points a game for a season so don't expect the PJ random scoring explosions from Williams.

He's probably a very slight upgrade as a wing/4 defender over PJ but a clear downgrade offensively and as a weakside rim protector/stretch 5.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#60 » by W_HAMILTON » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:10 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:The pick is only top 2 protected. I love this.

But it's from a Luka Doncic-led team.

Add a few years onto what Doncic is already doing now and it will probably be a pick somewhere in the 20s, unless Doncic bolts in free agency or something...
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.

Return to Charlotte Hornets