ImageImage

okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Re: okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged) 

Post#461 » by Paydro70 » Fri Aug 7, 2009 3:54 am

Battery wrote:Always with the drama, Paydro.

I wasn't the one who claimed to be ganged up on or bullied.

Battery wrote:I only said we played better as a team after Vincent benched Okafor for the final 18 minutes of the second half in Boston which we ended up winning. I also wanted to see how the rest of the team performed without him on the floor during the following game because I thought we had better team chemistry with Okafor on the bench. I also thought his poor play during the previous month when he was bickering with Vincent really sunk our season. Since that December I've wanted Okafor gone. I don't believe he's coachable and in the end, you cannot win with those types. Byron Scott will see this too.

You definitely did not limit your comments on Okafor to the second half of a game, or even to that single season. You presented him as a cancer we should be happy to be rid of, a guy holding us back and making us worse:
"lots of Bobcats fans who actually watch and go to the games are feeling very happy we got rid of Okafor." "I'm looking forward to watching Okafor whine in New Orleans while screwing up that teams chemistry." "Okafor killed us with his inconsistent play that year, especially in December. Good riddance." "I look at losing Okafor as addition by subtraction."

But I guess you didn't really believe that?
Battery wrote:And obviously over the long haul, we were a better team with Okafor. I'm not denying that. That's only because we had nobody consistently good enough to replace him...until now. But to me, this is not a Okafor vs. Chandler debate, this is about what player fits in better with the team and with Larry Brown's coaching style. Apparently Okafor did not or the wind sucker would still be here.

I really don't think we know whether LB cared either way about Okafor v. Chandler. The leading explanation of the trade is that we regret signing his long-term deal, so we're trying to get one that's expiring sooner. Even if it was LB, he's not God, and he has made poor personnel decisions in the past. If this was all him, then we better see results ASAP because when he leaves in 2 years, we still won't have Okafor.

By the way, it doesn't make sense to say "this is not a Okafor vs. Chandler debate," and then talk about which one fits better and side with one. That is a debate between the two players.

Battery wrote:The Nuggets replaced Mr. 26 ppg Iverson with Billups. What say you?

Wait, Billups is a free agent?? We can sign him? Wait, he's not, and has no relevance whatsoever? Cool.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#462 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 7, 2009 3:49 pm

31 pages of okafor ranting... can we get to 50?

just keep it civil. thanks.

toodles.
thruthefire
Head Coach
And1: 600

Post#463 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:31 pm

Battery, have you seen what Chandler's done in the playoffs? Besides his job on Duncan, who Okafor always plays well, it's not too impressive. I know you're not much of a numbers guy, but TC's have went down both years in the playoffs in NO.
Humble yourself.
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#464 » by Battery » Fri Aug 7, 2009 8:02 pm

thruthefire wrote:Battery, have you seen what Chandler's done in the playoffs? Besides his job on Duncan, who Okafor always plays well, it's not too impressive. I know you're not much of a numbers guy, but TC's have went down both years in the playoffs in NO.

Without analyzing Chandler's performance in playoff games I will say this, there is no comparison between a playoff and a regular season game against a non conference team, especially when the non conference team is crappy. Tim Duncan is not getting up for the Charlotte Bobcats in December like he does against NOH in the playoffs.
Battery
Analyst

Post#465 » by Battery » Fri Aug 7, 2009 8:18 pm

Paydro70 wrote:

You definitely did not limit your comments on Okafor to the second half of a game, or even to that single season. You presented him as a cancer we should be happy to be rid of, a guy holding us back and making us worse:
"lots of Bobcats fans who actually watch and go to the games are feeling very happy we got rid of Okafor." "I'm looking forward to watching Okafor whine in New Orleans while screwing up that teams chemistry." "Okafor killed us with his inconsistent play that year, especially in December. Good riddance." "I look at losing Okafor as addition by subtraction."

But I guess you didn't really believe that?

I really don't think we know whether LB cared either way about Okafor v. Chandler. The leading explanation of the trade is that we regret signing his long-term deal, so we're trying to get one that's expiring sooner. Even if it was LB, he's not God, and he has made poor personnel decisions in the past. If this was all him, then we better see results ASAP because when he leaves in 2 years, we still won't have Okafor.

By the way, it doesn't make sense to say "this is not a Okafor vs. Chandler debate," and then talk about which one fits better and side with one. That is a debate between the two players.

Wait, Billups is a free agent?? We can sign him? Wait, he's not, and has no relevance whatsoever? Cool.

I typed up a long response but deleted it, makes no sense to keep going back and forth on this because there is nothing more to say about Okafor. I'm happy (actually ecstatic) he's gone, you're not. Case closed.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,739

Post#466 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 7, 2009 8:36 pm

i think battery makes a good point about trying to compare what chandler did against duncan in the playoffs vs what okafor did against duncan in the regular season.

i've been to the last 4 spurs games in charlotte and duncan appears to always been playing at about 70% effort.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#467 » by Paydro70 » Fri Aug 7, 2009 9:00 pm

Battery wrote:I typed up a long response but deleted it, makes no sense to keep going back and forth on this because there is nothing more to say about Okafor. I'm happy (actually ecstatic) he's gone, you're not. Case closed.

Fair enough. That's the joy of the internet message board, going back and forth endlessly for no reason.

Unfortunately this does mean that Fats' goal of 50 pages will not come to pass.

Only Felton could ever achieve that lofty status.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#468 » by thruthefire » Sat Aug 8, 2009 12:00 am

Chandler had a PER of 3.7 in the playoffs this past season ... yikes! No wonder his team got swept and NO tried to trade him for some scrubs.
Humble yourself.
Battery
Analyst

Post#469 » by Battery » Sat Aug 8, 2009 1:36 am

thruthefire wrote:Chandler had a PER of 3.7 in the playoffs this past season ... yikes! No wonder his team got swept and NO traded him for a scrub.

Well there you go, nice of you to finally admit it.

Oh and not that I really care, but what was Okafor's PER number in the playoffs this past season? That's OK if you don't offhand have the number, it's not that important. :P
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#470 » by spectre_ » Sat Aug 8, 2009 1:43 am

thruthefire wrote:Chandler had a PER of 3.7 in the playoffs this past season ... yikes! No wonder his team got swept and NO tried to trade him for some scrubs.

Now I didn't watch him nor NOLA during the playoffs, but hasn't it been said that he came back before he was healed and that was why he was subpar?

If so then pointing stuff out like that isn't really fair. In fact I think what he did was pretty admirable.

He's ours now. Time to get on board.
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#471 » by Fred Williamson » Sat Aug 8, 2009 7:44 am

Chandler always played great in the playoffs, even with injuries he fighted himself through the pain. He's experienced and he knows how to defend Yao, Duncan, etc. when pushes comes to shove.

Let's just pray, that he stays healthy
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#472 » by Paydro70 » Sat Aug 8, 2009 12:50 pm

Chandler lets Yao do the same to him as everybody else... 20/9 on .550 shooting.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... 2=mingya01

Duncan does his same stuff too, 22/12 on .550:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/ ... =duncati01

Chandler was hurt all year last year and in the playoffs so I wouldn't judge based on that, hopefully he returns back to what he was before. 07-08 he declined a little bit in the playoffs, but Duncan had a pretty bad series.
Battery
Analyst

Post#473 » by Battery » Sat Aug 8, 2009 8:21 pm

GWallace3 wrote:Chandler always played great in the playoffs, even with injuries he fighted himself through the pain. He's experienced and he knows how to defend Yao, Duncan, etc. when pushes comes to shove.

Let's just pray, that he stays healthy

Ahhh now here is a Bobcats fan I like. Love the avy too. Just say nooooooo
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#474 » by thruthefire » Sat Aug 8, 2009 11:21 pm

"Chandler always played great in the playoffs."

That is sooooooo not true.

But I hope that he stays healthy, too.
Humble yourself.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant

Post#475 » by Fred Williamson » Sat Aug 8, 2009 11:50 pm

I was referring to playoffs games with the Hornets, because he was still a kid during his Bulls days. Go and look up Duncans shooting percentages or watch the Hornets-Spurs playoffs series again. Duncan had a tough time against Chandler.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#476 » by thruthefire » Sun Aug 9, 2009 12:07 am

GWallace3 wrote:I was referring to playoffs games with the Hornets, because he was still a kid during his Bulls days. Go and look up Duncans shooting percentages or watch the Hornets-Spurs playoffs series again. Duncan had a tough time against Chandler.

Yeah, I know that, but then you're really just basing his play in the playoffs off of one series. Overall, his play was down from the regular season that year. Of course, being defended by Duncan for seven games would probably cause anyone's numbers to go down.
Humble yourself.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#477 » by thruthefire » Sun Aug 9, 2009 3:47 am

Humble yourself.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,345

Post#478 » by amcoolio » Sun Aug 9, 2009 4:33 am

So Chandler is more efficient, a better rebounder, and a huge winner (9-2 over jokafor), despite getting fewer minutes and playing on a bad Bulls team for a few years?

I'll take it.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#479 » by thruthefire » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:37 am

In 2004-2005, the Bulls were 47-35 (oh, yeah, they were terrible :lol: ), while the Bobcats were an expansion team. Out of the 11 times they've played each other head-to-head, 4 of their matchups were in that year. Is it fair to say that a team that won nearly 50 games should take care of a terrible expansion team every single time? I think so.

I'm sure Chandler was the key to the Hornets' victory in this game (http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 40NOK.html), while Okafor was the reason for the Bobcats' loss.

But, hey, he's a huge winner! Ammo has a ring, LeBron doesn't ... yay!

Nothing against TC when I write this, but bringing up wins and losses is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. My guess would be that Okafor is the more efficient player, by the way.
Humble yourself.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant

Post#480 » by Fred Williamson » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:53 am

The Hornets introduced Okafor last week and we are still waiting for our press conference...

Return to Charlotte Hornets