Off Topic

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Re: Off Topic 

Post#561 » by Diop » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:20 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Man I miss the Crash/Stak5/Chandler era team. That team played hard defense and Larry Brown had them overachieving. Just a team led by 3 defensive minded players.

why mention pussyfoot? he barely played
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#562 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:33 am

**** larry brown. mortgaged future for a 7-seed. got outcoached in the sweep by magic. ruined our cap. kept us from drafting lopez and quit on the team. he's basketball cancer,

but i do miss crash. love that dude. would kill for him on this team.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#563 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:36 am

Still feels like the Al Jefferson signing was the biggest mortgaging of our future. Imagine tanking so hard that you get the worst record ever, only to throw the rebuild away by signing a blackhole center.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,176

Post#564 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:05 am

KingCat wrote:Still feels like the Al Jefferson signing was the biggest mortgaging of our future. Imagine tanking so hard that you get the worst record ever, only to throw the rebuild away by signing a blackhole center.

Jefferson was amazing for us that year. Also damn near played on one leg that playoff series. Wasn't he voted all nba as well or close? Stop with that. **** getting ridiculous around here.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#565 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:08 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
KingCat wrote:Still feels like the Al Jefferson signing was the biggest mortgaging of our future. Imagine tanking so hard that you get the worst record ever, only to throw the rebuild away by signing a blackhole center.

Jefferson was amazing for us that year. Also damn near played on one leg that playoff series. Wasn't he voted all nba as well or close? Stop with that. **** getting ridiculous around here.

Catapulted us all the way to a 7th seed first round sweep and continued us into a era of extreme mediocrity. Worth it!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,176

Post#566 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:45 am

KingCat wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Catapulted us all the way to a 7th seed first round sweep and continued us into a era of extreme mediocrity. Worth it!

You're right. Signing an all nba player is bad.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#567 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:50 am

KingCat wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

to be fair, we got swept by lebron, wade, bosh and allen... and jefferson rolled his ankle in game 1. that was a solid team 2nd half of that year.

nothing beats letting larry dictate moves to sign diop (sorry sachmo), tyrus, and all his random aging vets, draft dj and ajinca.
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#568 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:55 am

fatlever wrote:
KingCat wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

to be fair, we got swept by lebron, wade, bosh and allen... and jefferson rolled his ankle in game 1. that was a solid team 2nd half of that year.

nothing beats letting larry dictate moves to sign diop (sorry sachmo), tyrus, and all his random aging vets, draft dj and ajinca.

It was kinda crazy how quickly that team collapsed. SJax and Crash didn't even play a full year together before Brown resigned. Shortest peak ever.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#569 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:50 am

larry brown burn out. happens everywhere he's ever been. i imagine its lie being coached by larry david - just can't let anything go, complains constantly, blames everyone else.
plus i think larry playing crash so much at pf that year took a toll
felton had jameer nelson hangover
boris probably exhausted from national team
and we stupidly traded chandler because larry didn't like him
and of course larry pet projects - dj, ajinca, diop and tyrus all sucked
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,721

Post#570 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Yup, 3rd team All NBA, put the team on his back and willed us to the playoffs.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,214

Post#571 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:59 pm

I was okay with the Kemba/Jeff team. that was probably the most exciting and best team in the Horncats era. Injuries really derailed that squad. They got Jeff a couple years too late too
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,403

Post#572 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:05 pm

So, Mayfield just wrecked the Eagles.

As if that whole situation with the Panthers couldn't get even worse.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#573 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:07 pm

The Jefferson team when we signed Lance was probably the only time I've been actually excited about the season getting started in forever.

An All-NBA center.
An All-Star PG.
An All-Star SG.

We actually believed we'd be competing for a top 4-ish seed.

And then.... yeah.
KingCat
Sixth Man

Post#574 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:32 pm

JDR720 wrote:The Jefferson team when we signed Lance was probably the only time I've been actually excited about the season getting started in forever.

An All-NBA center.
An All-Star PG.
An All-Star SG.

We actually believed we'd be competing for a top 4-ish seed.

And then.... yeah.

My personal most disappointing season in Hornets history. So many people thought Lance would make the Harden jump with us...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#575 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 pm

It was crazy how bad he was that year. Never really seen anything like it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#576 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:21 pm

One of our biggest issues is the "star" players we acquire almost always underachieve.

Lance was horrible.

Batum stopped trying.

Gordon is injured half the time.

Al wasn't great outside his All-NBA season.

Dwight was solid but a 1-year rental that didn't help us win much.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#577 » by Diop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:01 am

Lance only ever played well for Indiana, so weird
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,541

Post#578 » by GoBobs » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:51 am

We could always do what the thunder have done. Keep banking extra first round picks for the future. Right now we owe a first round pick on top of a depressing season.

Our problem has been impatience. We pick a lane but don't have the patience to stick to it. We build a team good enough to get to the 7-8th seed, and then go, this will never work, lets blow it up.

Twice we have traded future picks to draft somebody that was a complete bust, another sign of impatience.

That and we have never spent money. We have never been in the lux tax, never had one of the higher paid coaches ect. Most of the teams in the top playoff spots every year are the teams with the higher payrolls.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#579 » by UNCNYC » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 pm

Unfortunately Bryce Young hasn't worked out but hopefully we will consider steve wilkks and draft Kaidon Salter
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#580 » by UNCNYC » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:03 am

Don't forget about those less fortunate. You don't always have to give, but you should try and understand...
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets