Bathed in the Rapture of Mark Williams Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: Mark Williams 

Post#61 » by driveandkick » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
amcoolio wrote:I think Mark starts day 1. He's pro-ready, huge (7'2"), and already a good defender which is what limits rookies who don't play. He probably only plays 18-24 minutes a game though.

No way we guarantee Plumlee to keep him. I think he is being moved.

Who is the only Bobcats era rookie who started from day 1?

Hint--It's not Kemba or LaMelo.

Spoiler:
MKG ... and I would argue that starting so soon was one of the things that shattered his self confidence.

Anyway, Center & PG are the NBA's toughest positions to learn. It very well may be that Williams' is starting by the end of the year, but I personally feel like it's better to let guys grow into the starter role.

I am 95% positive PJ was a day 1 starter
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#62 » by Diop » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Okafor didn't?

You know, I forgot to check him. He did indeed start year 1, but Yoga man never didn't exactly wow for a #2 pick on a bad team.

He was rookie of the year
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Post#63 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:01 pm

I think Williams is skilled/big enough/we have zero options that he will start. He's obviously not as skilled on the perimeter/switchy as Mobley but look how Mobley did the first few months of the year. We have such a abhorrent lack of rim protection that Williams will be the best option if he stays healthy/has a good training camp.

That is unless we trade for someone that is much better than Plumlee
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Post#64 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Not to mention many scouts supposedly had Williams as the #1 center of the draft including us, teams just gamble on wings now before making the safe center pick
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#65 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:08 pm

amcoolio wrote:Not to mention many scouts supposedly had Williams as the #1 center of the draft including us, teams just gamble on wings now before making the safe center pick

The draft board on this site has some pretty smart people and they had Williams over Duren. And that's not even mentioning the fact that we already have a hyper athletic, mobile, switching, alley-oop big in Kai Jones. For the first time since the Crash Wallace days we actually have great size top to bottom on this roster.

If we suck at rebounding next year that's all on coaching imo. No excuse for LaMelo to be our only above average rebounder with the frontcourt size we'll have. We just need to actually play Long Will, Kai, and Thor.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,181

Post#66 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:10 pm

Well at least when Lamelo gets smoked off the dribble or gets caught gambling for a steal we will have a true big to help cover his deficiencies on that end
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,721

Post#67 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:16 pm

Part of Utah's Gobert problem was that they didn't have any great small ball C options, so when opposing teams went 5 out they just didn't have a lineup that worked. PJ, Miles, and hopefully Kai will give us a major leg up in that regard. Play Mark when it works, go with more mobile small ball Cs when it doesn't.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,592

Post#68 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:18 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Well at least when Lamelo gets smoked off the dribble or gets caught gambling for a steal we will have a true big to help cover his deficiencies on that end

him and the rest of the team really
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,377

Post#69 » by CuseMayne » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:19 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Part of Utah's Gobert problem was that they didn't have any great small ball C options, so when opposing teams went 5 out they just didn't have a lineup that worked. PJ, Miles, and hopefully Kai will give us a major leg up in that regard. Play Mark when it works, go with more mobile small ball Cs when it doesn't.

Yes. I think this makes PJ much less expendable. I like PJ a lot more when he's a 4 first, and a small ball 5 as a luxury, not as a necessity. Felt like he played a lot better when Trez came into the fold. Being paired with Mark Williams/Kai/occasionally being the small ball 5 is very promising.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#70 » by Bassman » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:25 pm

I think Mark Williams, in an earlier era, would have easily been a top 3 pick. Centers were somewhat discounted over the last decade, or valued if a “stretch 5”. Per a scouting article read before the draft, the league is starting to re-examine the value of the “big” center…not plodders, but quality athletes. They are making more impact than ever.

Mark Williams is an underrated athlete. My gosh the guy can run, move and pursue at a high level…and he’s a 7 footer! His stamina was never a question at Duke. He also exhibited a greater determination as he gained experience/confidence. As another person mentioned, he rose to the occasion against tough opponents. He is a quality young man from a great family. He was my target in this draft and I’m thrilled to have him!
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#71 » by LofJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:30 pm

Read on Twitter

He isn't just a rim protector, he's got fantastic hands and touch near the basket.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#72 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm

I think Williams - Duren comps will remind us of the Okafor-Dwight battle. I think Williams was always our guy, and Duren being there at 13 was a surprise. Either would have made me happy because both pair well with Ball. Duren has a higher ceiling, but I'll take the competition that Williams went against over Duren.

I still think we need to find a vet that is better than Plumlee to start, let Williams play back-up and Richards be the 3C.
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#73 » by chabber » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:49 pm

W_HAMILTON wrote:What can we expect from Williams? I take it he won't start right off the bat, but could he start sometime this year? Will he for sure get backup center minutes or should we basically just not expect him to even play (outside of maybe filling in due to injuries) this season?

Also, as I've said before, I'm more of a casual fan nowadays, so how does he fit in with Jones and Thor? Are we expecting either of those guys to play "legit" center or are we envisioning them more as PFs who can maybe play center for a bit in some sort of alternative lineup?

I'm pretty sure Williams will start at some point this season. He's a lot less raw than the guys we drafted last year and his strength is defense which is also why the guys last year didn't play. Still who starts always just depends on the coach, which we don't even have right now. No matter what I think he'll be playing good minutes for us this year.

As for the young guys. He'll fit right in with Thor and Kai. Kai is more of a C/PF so I think they split time at center if Kai booms. This could give us a nice variety of lineups with versatility. Thor could probably play some small ball center as well but he's more of a PF/SF.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,001

Post#74 » by wilson115 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:12 pm

What's the confidence on Mark thriving in the Steve Clifford pick-and-roll? How about Kai?

BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#75 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:52 pm

So is this just for promotional purposes, or has Bouk changed his number?

Williams to wear #5, Bouk to wear #2 and LaMelo to wear #1?
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#76 » by BigSlam » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:00 pm

That jump shot on the corner 3's has a really low release.

B B M F 'ers
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,377

Post#77 » by CuseMayne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:25 pm

BigSlam wrote:That jump shot on the corner 3's has a really low release.

I mean...I doubt he'll be shooting many 3s his rookie year. Especially with Clifford at the helm now. Moving forward, he'll likely only shoot 3s when wide open anyway, so the release point doesn't matter as much to me. He's also 7'2 lol.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#78 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:18 am

BigSlam wrote:That jump shot on the corner 3's has a really low release.

lol we're nitpicking, i didn't realize he could shoot at all. Added bonus if he can hit wide open 3s
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#79 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 am

BigSlam wrote:So is this just for promotional purposes, or has Bouk changed his number?

Williams to wear #5, Bouk to wear #2 and LaMelo to wear #1?

Boone said Bouk was changing his #... I don't see anywhere that says what number it is except Wikipedia has #2. Someone pointed out to me yesterday that #2 was Bouk's college number so that checks out.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,181

Post#80 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 am

Hes not going to shoot 3s. If he even attempts one the next 2 years I'd be shocked.

Block shots, rebound, run, catch lobs. Please
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.

Return to Charlotte Hornets