Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#81 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:03 pm

JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Sheppard is my trade down pick.

Even if he's Kyle Korver lite, that's still the best shooter we've had in years.

Reed Shepard is like 6-2 and shoots 4 threes a game in college. Korver was 6-7 and shot 8 threes a game in college. That was during a time when threes weren't even shot like that, they are nothing a like other than being white.

Point still stands. He shoot's 3's over 50%.

Yeah the fact he is only averaging 12 ppg while shooting 54% from three is a red flag for me. If I was shooting 54% from three I would be shooting 10 a game, he can't get his shot off. Once his shooting comes down to earth in the low 40s he will be under 10 ppg. Hard pass.

He is shooting the ball 4 times a game in SEC play thus far (3 games). I am more confident he stays in college for another year than he is a 10 pick.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#82 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:26 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Reed Shepard is like 6-2 and shoots 4 threes a game in college. Korver was 6-7 and shot 8 threes a game in college. That was during a time when threes weren't even shot like that, they are nothing a like other than being white.

Yeah the fact he is only averaging 12 ppg while shooting 54% from three is a red flag for me. If I was shooting 54% from three I would be shooting 10 a game, he can't get his shot off. Once his shooting comes down to earth in the low 40s he will be under 10 ppg. Hard pass.

He is shooting the ball 4 times a game in SEC play thus far (3 games). I am more confident he stays in college for another year than he is a 10 pick.

Didn't they say the same about Devin Booker in college?

Genuine question. I can't recall.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#83 » by KingCat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:31 pm

I'm not sure about the Shepard hype either
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,264

Post#84 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:34 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Fair comments, but there is more to his game than just shooting. He is coming off the bench as a freshman for a powerhouse program so naturally he isn't going to be the #1 option to start the season. He has an uncanny knack to find teammates in transition from the backcourt. He also knows how to find teammates in general. He already protects the ball pretty well for a freshman and has an encouraging assist to turnover ratio of around 2.7/1. He has amazing anticipation for where the dribbler will put the ball, resulting in a lot of non-gambling steals. He also averages 4.5 rebounds/game for a 6'3 guard coming off the bench. Further proof he clearly just knows where to be on the court in pretty much every facet of the game.

Maybe the shooting is a massive blip and he drops back down to mid 30's from 3 and then he's a meh prospect. I doubt it though. He'll probably finish the season around 42-45% from 3 is my guess.

I think he has a feel for the game way above the usual generic white shooting guy. I think he's going to succeed at least to some degree in the NBA. Absolute worst case NBA scenario is solid backup PG/combo guard.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#85 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Point still stands. He shoot's 3's over 50%.

Devin Booker is 6-6 not 6-2/3. Booker was 2nd in fga per game for Kentucky. More than Towns, WCS, Lyles etc... Sheppard is 6th in FGA. I really think the more time goes on vs actual good opponents the Reed Shepard noise will take care of itself. Against real competition he looks scared to shoot inside the 3 pt line.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:44 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Point still stands. He shoot's 3's over 50%.

Sheppard is crushing what Booker did in college in his freshman season. I'm not saying he'll be anywhere near the NBA player Book is but he's clearly a better player than Booker across the board at the same stage. Still early days and things can change of course.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:52 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Devin Booker is 6-6 not 6-2/3. Booker was 2nd in fga per game for Kentucky. More than Towns, WCS, Lyles etc... Sheppard is 6th in FGA. I really think the more time goes on vs actual good opponents the Reed Shepard noise will take care of itself. Against real competition he looks scared to shoot inside the 3 pt line.

You are also comparing a full season of Booker against the first half of Sheppard's season. I'm sure his usage and attempts will increase significantly in the second half now that he has played so well. On that basis I don't think comparing FG attempts and usage, particularly for freshmen is fair until the end of the year plays out. Then we will see whether his usage and efficiency will talk for itself - or not.

Sheppard averages a TON more rebounds (too small), assists, steals, blocks (too small) and than Booker did in comparable minutes. Booker 1.1AST/1.0 TO. Sheppard 4.1 AST to 1.5TO. The guy just knows how to play. He obviously has super anticipation, timing and feel to be able to way outpoint a 6"6 SG in a few of those categories, namely rebounds and blocks.

He literally is averaging 5.08 times more steals per game than Booker and 6.5 times more blocks more per game (while conceding slightly fewer fouls) adjusted for the slight minutes discrepancy. Admittedly this is only over 15 games so that small sample could change significantly but we'll see. Obviously blocks per game isn't the most important consideration given that we are comparing guards but it again shows he obviously knows how to time his contests and position himself amazingly well to disrupt the shot considering he isn't the biggest guy.

If Sheppard can play the 1 it really doesn't matter if he is 6'2 or 6'3. Even then height and sexy measurables and are the most common denominators when teams select busts. I'm at the point where I'm way more interested in if a guy has playmaking chops, feel for the game, can shoot and proven production than whether he is 6"9 with a 7"4 wingspan with massive hands.

I am not at all trying to say he's going to be better than Booker or even close to Booker neccesarily as an NBA player. But you can't deny his play so far justifies mid-late lottery consideration or better if it continues.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#88 » by JDR720 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:01 pm

Sheppard could be JJ Redick, still the best shooter we've had in years and definitly worth a high pick in this draft.

Sheppards efficiency is off the charts. 56/54/84 with 4 rebounds, 4 assists and only 1.5 turnovers.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#89 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:07 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

You are also comparing a full season of Booker against the first half of Sheppards. I'm sure his usage and attempts will increase significantly in the second half now that he has played so well. On that basis I don't think comparing FG attempts and usage for freshmen is fair until the end of the year plays out. Then we will see whether his usage and efficiency will talk for itself - or not.

Sheppard averages a TON more rebounds, assists, steals and than Booker did in comparable minutes. Booker 1.1AST/1.0 TO. Sheppard 4.1 AST to 1.5TO. The guy just knows how to play.

If Sheppard can play the 1 it really doesn't matter if he is 6'2 or 6'3. Even then height and sexy measurables and are the most common denominators when teams select busts. I'm at the point where I'm way more interest in if a guy has playmaking chops, feel for the game, can shoot and proven production than whether he is 6"9 with a 7"4 wingspan and has massive hands.

His stats are probably going to be worse to end the year is my point. He is shooting 72% efg, that isn't even close to sustainable. Especially as competition is tougher. Hence me calling out in SEC play his numbers are already taking a dip. He can prove me wrong, but I feel pretty strong on this.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#90 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:12 pm

please, no more undersized guards
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

You are also comparing a full season of Booker against the first half of Sheppards. I'm sure his usage and attempts will increase significantly in the second half now that he has played so well. On that basis I don't think comparing FG attempts and usage for freshmen is fair until the end of the year plays out. Then we will see whether his usage and efficiency will talk for itself - or not.

Sheppard averages a TON more rebounds, assists, steals and than Booker did in comparable minutes. Booker 1.1AST/1.0 TO. Sheppard 4.1 AST to 1.5TO. The guy just knows how to play.

If Sheppard can play the 1 it really doesn't matter if he is 6'2 or 6'3. Even then height and sexy measurables and are the most common denominators when teams select busts. I'm at the point where I'm way more interest in if a guy has playmaking chops, feel for the game, can shoot and proven production than whether he is 6"9 with a 7"4 wingspan and has massive hands.

His stats are probably going to be worse to end the year is my point. He is shooting 72% efg, that isn't even close to sustainable. Especially as competition is tougher. Hence me calling out in SEC play his numbers are already taking a dip. He can prove me wrong, but I feel pretty strong on this.

I agree re efficiency, it will certainly go down. If it somehow doesn't he probably won't be on the board when we pick lol.

He will average more attempts per game and higher usage as the year goes on no doubt so it will be interesting to see how badly that affects his efficiency. When he reaches March madness it will be interesting to see how he goes against the best in the NCAA.

If he doesn't ball out and looks a bit restricted then I agree he's probably a pick in the 15-20 range of the first round.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#92 » by Benjamin Linus » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:54 pm

I'm just skimming through these prospects... I like the idea of Alex Sarr. Would love to pair Mark Williams with a giant, oversized PF that can also slide to the 5 and hit threes and block shots. League is trending bigger and LaMelo, Miller, Sarr, and Williams would all be giant for their positions
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#93 » by Diop » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:55 pm

KingCat wrote:Would anyone here actually take Sarr if we got the #1 pick? I'm getting the feeling that most would trade down for someone like Shepard, Walter, Risacher, or Williams, and I am in that camp as well.

I've watched a fair bit of Sarr and I do like him, but I'm not sure if he develops into an NBA all star. He plays like young a Porzingis, enjoys putting the ball on the floor and is pretty smooth with it. His shot blocking has improved and he tries on the boards, but he is easily moved and I'm worried how he will adjust to NBA physicality as the Aussie league is more guard centric.

I'd be entertaining a trade down
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Post#94 » by Trey24 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:00 pm

Sarr reminds me of Garnett and Chris Bosh.

We are in absolutely no position to pass on BPA. See Jalen Duren and how we all felt about that bith at the time and now. We have one center that is a potential starter on the roster and should be concerned with BPA only, so if that ends up being Sarr we have to take him
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#95 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:09 pm

JaKobe Walter
Cody Williams
Ron Holland
Alex Sarr

For all the talk about a weak draft, and for a team that looks like it will be picking top 5, I have trouble deciding which of the 4 guys above I would most like to see the Hornets add. I think they could each add something good to the team core.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#96 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:51 pm

Snidely FC wrote:JaKobe Walter
Cody Williams
Ron Holland
Alex Sarr

For all the talk about a weak draft, and for a team that looks like it will be picking top 5, I have trouble deciding which of the 4 guys above I would most like to see the Hornets add. I think they could each add something good to the team core.

I am not an expert on every detail of these guys, but I have seen Walter called out for being a bad movement guy on defense. Idk how true it is, but that would be a bit of a bummer.
Big Board
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#97 » by UNCNYC » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:11 pm

There are players I reallly like in this years draftt

Ajay Mitchell, Naithan George, Dalton Knect, bobi klintman, Tristan De silva, Kevin Mccullar, Reece Beekman

But I have not loved a player this much is Kobe Bryant. That player is

Carlton Bub Carrington I hope we take him at 5. I love everything about this kid

UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#98 » by Diop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:26 am

UNCNYC wrote:There are players I reallly like in this years draftt

Ajay Mitchell, Naithan George, Dalton Knect, bobi klintman, Tristan De silva, Kevin Mccullar, Reece Beekman

Carlton Bub Carrington I hope we take him at 5. I love everything about this kid

where you been? missed your scouting eye!
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#99 » by UNCNYC » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:59 am

Diop wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:There are players I reallly like in this years draftt

where you been? missed your scouting eye!

Aww thanks. I miss your eye for talent, and your talent for team. You are a true uniter my friend...

I'm great, but God is greater... Hope you are Blessed and well...

They say we get wiser as we get older... Nah, we just get more aches lol.

Go Hornets
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
JMAC3
RealGM