Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,170

Re: Fun with Stats!!! 

Post#821 » by Braggins » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:04 pm

amcoolio wrote:
nature_boyy97 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:This season could be a blessing in disguise if things go right.

- Get a top 3 pick, hopefully top 2.
- Miles is suspended, but comes back next year.
- Melo gets healthy.

Melo/Miles/Wem or Scoot is the best "Big 3" we've ever had.

There's the silver lining.

For the record I expect us to draft 3rd or 4th. Melo/Miles/Amen, we like that?

While disappointing, sometimes its not a bad thing, like Scottie Barnes or Ben Mathurin coming out of nowhere. Just up to us drafting well and not taking a flawed player and trying to teach him like Bouknight or Kai Jones

This draft is supposed to be really good after the top 2 as well. As long as they get a top 5 pick they should have a shot at getting a really good player.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,268

Post#822 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:15 am

yosemiteben wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I didn't want to tank this season because I want Melo to learn good habits, and particularly good defensive habits, under a disciplined coach. Given the trainwreck of injuries, I'm losing faith that that's possible and I'm definitely nearing if not at the point of no return in throwing in the towel on the season.

I'm just not super excited about a capped 14% chance at Wemby, so I'm more skeptical of the upside to a tank and I'm very worried that we'll tank and wind up with a top 3 pick in a draft with a unicorn and am apparently top tier PG and a perception of a fall off after that.

We've got a bunch of immature criminals on the roster and winning 38 games isn't going to instill them with a winning mentality. Cleaning house might help though.

This doesn't really make sense to me, the only person on our roster you could even possibly be referring to is Bouk, and we don't need to tank to deal with him.

We're about to say hi to our good friend Miles Bridges through gritted teeth.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,721

Post#823 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:28 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:We've got a bunch of immature criminals on the roster and winning 38 games isn't going to instill them with a winning mentality. Cleaning house might help though.

This doesn't really make sense to me, the only person on our roster you could even possibly be referring to is Bouk, and we don't need to tank to deal with him.

We're about to say hi to our good friend Miles Bridges through gritted teeth.

Obviously we'll have to say where we go there, but how does tanking address Miles or Bouk?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#824 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=T6LTu_LX7UIvY-z6dd8lZw&s=19

But by all means Cliff, keep playing Mason 30+ including all crunchtime mins.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Braggins
RealGM

Post#825 » by Braggins » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:49 pm

They seriously just need to trade Plumlee, even if its for literally nothing. Richards can start while they develop Williams on the bench for a year or two. Hopefully if Richards keeps playing well they can lock him up on a reasonable deal like they did with Martin and then just have the center position finally solved.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,377

Post#826 » by CuseMayne » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:08 pm

Amen. It's clear that when Richards is in he's a force inside. Big body that's hard to contain and can move well. Night and day difference between him and Plumlee tbh. Plumlee can do a *few* cool things as a center, but Richards brings what we need from the center position. I'm hoping that it's just because the season is still early that we're still heavily relying on Plum. Now with LaMelo back, we require Plum's strengths even less.

Another point, the earlier we establish the C rotation as Richards/Williams (at least for this year) the better. Their skills overlap a fair bit, so there would be continuity from the C position. That means that our offense and defense can stay more consistent philosophically with either of them in, rather than having to adjust certain aspects as Plum is a wayyy different C than Richards/Williams.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,214

Post#827 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Braggins wrote:They seriously just need to trade Plumlee, even if its for literally nothing. Richards can start while they develop Williams on the bench for a year or two. Hopefully if Richards keeps playing well they can lock him up on a reasonable deal like they did with Martin and then just have the center position finally solved.

Yeah I feel the same way. Cliff needs to be forced to play Mark. We need to see if he can hang or not. Waiting 2/3 years to see if a guy can contribute doesn't help determine if a replacement needs to be found or not.

They aren't winning anything anytime soon. Giving Plumlee minutes is just throwing them away at this point. Play the developmental players so we know what we have.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Post#828 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:22 pm

Plumlee is a scapegoat but its not really his fault, he just didn't fit what this team needs or this timeline

Its shocking how little we lob or throw alley oops considering we have one of the most creative passers ever at point guard
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,403

Post#829 » by JDR720 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Richards improving so much seemingly out of no where is probably the most shocking (good) thing that has happened in a while.

No reason to not play him over Plumlee, he does everything better besides passing.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#830 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=-pf3SZX16k6CrA6-nofX3Q
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#831 » by fatlever » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 am

Read on Twitter

Where Hornets rank (among 311 players)

64-Dennis Smith
90-Nick Richards
93-Kelly Oubre
134-Terry Rozier
137-Mason Plumlee
170-Jalen McDaniels
200-Gordon Hayward
231-P.J. Washington
250-Théo Maledon
292-JT Thor
295-James Bouknight

confirmed, jb and jt have been statistically rotten
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#832 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=G6XYAcn2L7GG9cB2xUkH7g&s=19

Lol our offense so bad we don't fit on chart. Well done cliff and Mitch.

Braggins
RealGM

Post#833 » by Braggins » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:42 pm

At least they are... um... 21st in defensive rating
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#834 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:56 pm

Do yall legit think another coach would have done better given our injuries this season, or is that just general frustration?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#835 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:39 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Do yall legit think another coach would have done better given our injuries this season, or is that just general frustration?
I don't know. Mostly frustration and being cheeky.

I mostly blame Mitch for his terrible decision-making over the past two summers, which includes bringing Cliff back, among other things. I also do not trust cliff in terms of creating a competent offense, no matter who is healthy. I don't care about the stats from 5 years ago when he once had a top 15 offense for half s season or whatever.

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#836 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:42 pm

My real honest opinion is this team cannot function on offense in halfcourt without Gordon hayward. I don't think it's any coincidence that our offense went in the toilet after he got injured, even with both Terry and lamelo coming back.

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,592

Post#837 » by HornetJail » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:23 pm

fatlever wrote:My real honest opinion is this team cannot function on offense in halfcourt without Gordon hayward. I don't think it's any coincidence that our offense went in the toilet after he got injured, even with both Terry and lamelo coming back.

never has functioned without one of him or Bridges. We will have no problem tanking if we trade Hayward and nobody else
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#838 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:30 pm

fatlever wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Do yall legit think another coach would have done better given our injuries this season, or is that just general frustration?
I don't know. Mostly frustration and being cheeky.

I mostly blame Mitch for his terrible decision-making over the past two summers, which includes bringing Cliff back, among other things. I also do not trust cliff in terms of creating a competent offense, no matter who is healthy. I don't care about the stats from 5 years ago when he once had a top 15 offense for half s season or whatever.

I gotcha. Was just genuinely curious.

Really curious what happens with Cliff. He came on board to bring discipline and right the ship, he himself has said he didn't come here to help a rebuild. If we change paths, curious if he's like "I'm out" or if the optics would be too bad for both him and us.

Doubt he's getting a gig anywhere else so guess he'll make do with what we have here.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,214

Post#839 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:23 pm

he came on board because they panicked and brought in the first person who would say yes
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#840 » by fatlever » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:45 am

Read on Twitter
?t=lMDn67OIfgABYc9-VvQYlA&s=19

The difference between Nick and Mason...

Read on Twitter
?t=FvJf6l4Sbzw8q3VNOxP91Q&s=19

Return to Charlotte Hornets