ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Re: Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m) 

Post#861 » by W_HAMILTON » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:55 pm

It's great to have him back! Here's what I posted as a comment on the wiretap article about the re-signing (beware, there are some real dumbasses in there):

Glad to see him finally get re-signed, and on a very affordable deal given his production. I was worried that this lasting so long into the offseason, that he would just sign the one-year deal and then bolt as an unrestricted free agent next year, but I'm glad to see him get locked up on a reasonable deal.

There was some worry that his increased production might have just been due to it being a contract year, but re-signing him to such a short deal means that if that were to be the case, he has only a short amount of time before he'll have to prove himself again for his next contract.

Good deal overall, I'd say.
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#862 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:08 pm

Very fair deal for both sides. The Hornets are DEEP! Love that. Insurance if Miles bails too….
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#863 » by MugzZo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:12 am

This made my day. I didn't know we had it in us.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 856

Post#864 » by -Ian- » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 am

yosemiteben wrote:FO played this beautifully. Some crow should be eaten.

I agree, although people will still refuse to give some credit to Kupchak and company.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#865 » by Diop » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:34 am

i am happy with 16 mill, that was around the range i was hoping for.

cheaper than Harrison Barnes, solid role player money
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,267

Re: 99 Problems: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#866 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:23 am

amcoolio wrote:Mitch listened to the board for once. Good deal. PJ at 16 is tradeable. Wonder if the third year is a player option, because that would be nice if so. There's a 2% chance PJ has a breakout season like Lauri, but I think he is what he is at this point

You do realise a player option is bad for the team right?
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#867 » by Walt Cronkite » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:26 pm

Echoing others-- surprised by a reasonable deal, expected nothing.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Post#868 » by amcoolio » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Mitch listened to the board for once. Good deal. PJ at 16 is tradeable. Wonder if the third year is a player option, because that would be nice if so. There's a 2% chance PJ has a breakout season like Lauri, but I think he is what he is at this point

I just don't have much faith in him tbh
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#869 » by Bassman » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Good negotiating by the Hornets, as they ultimately didn’t compete with themselves. Agree with most here, as 3 year deal isn’t too short or too long…it’s at an appropriate market value, is tradable if necessary and gives us protection if Miles bolts.

Also hope we can trade Rozier for a good reserve PG, or a defensive starting SG with size.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,267

Post#870 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:58 pm

amcoolio wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:

I just don't have much faith in him tbh

Yeah so if he plays bad that means he'll opt in, so not good. I'd rather the guaranteed third year because if he outplays the deal he can't opt out at least.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 1,001

Post#871 » by wilson115 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:38 pm

Was expecting 4 years at least so I guess Mitch didn't budge from (allegedly) refusing to commit long-term. Just need to hear from the man how it got so drawn out for closure.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer

Post#872 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:41 pm

Hornets are in a good spot coming into the season for change. PJ is a solid glue guy and we have him locked in affordably. Can back up 3 spots in a pinch and fits ok with Nick or Mark at PF.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#873 » by JMAC3 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:58 pm

;t=998s

Credit to Vecenie. Feels like they hit the nail on the head from a negotiation standpoint.

A lot of things I was saying as far as PJ would have to get 2/40 next offseason to match his current deal if he took 1 QO. It was possible, but far from guaranteed. Chances were he wasn't getting more than 20 per year from an outside team regardless of his UFA status. Especially since he isn't guaranteed to be a full time starter this year.

Overall he is in a better spot to make more over the next 4 years than Reeves, Grant Williams, Herb Jones etc.

He gets to hit the market again in 3 yrs and at age 28 and maybe at that point he gets that massive 4 year deal.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#874 » by LofJ » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:41 pm

Organization did a great job with this contract, first time I've seen them do a declining deal:

Read on Twitter
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#875 » by Diop » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:57 pm

I’m glad they took my advice
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer

Post#876 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:56 pm

I read that in the third year the contract will likely be below the then MLE so it should be super tradeable if we want to swap players down the road. All in all, Mitch deserves A LOT more respect then he gets around here. Is he faultless? Of course not, but he has done a mostly good job for the Hornets considering the past ownership structure and $ available to him. If Miller is better then Scoot in 2 years then he gets at least a B+ from me.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#877 » by fatlever » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:46 pm

Chapelchilla wrote:I read that in the third year the contract will likely be below the then MLE so it should be super tradeable if we want to swap players down the road. All in all, Mitch deserves A LOT more respect then he gets around here. Is he faultless? Of course not, but he has done a mostly good job for the Hornets considering the past ownership structure and $ available to him. If Miller is better then Scoot in 2 years then he gets at least a B+ from me.
Mitch getting PJ on a team friendly deal certainly improves the Outlook of his grade for the summer.

It would have been nice if we could have also locked miles down on a team friendly deal but I certainly can understand both sides not wanting to move forward until this season plays out.

The one thing that is pretty Unforgivable in my opinion is completely ignoring our backup point guard position for 2 months and settling on Frank as a stopgap. I still believe in my heart that there would have been a deal there with Dennis on a pretty Team friendly contract had we made him feel like a priority.

I also would have liked to have seen some type of consolidation trade between all of our similar combo guard Wing types.

And lastly, even Mitch said last year that we needed to add some veteran leadership to the team and that was completely ignored.

Mitch does get credit for resisting the temptation to bring Kelly back.

The Miller versus scoot decision won't be really anything that Mitch can be graded on for several years, unless it's just painfully obvious from day one that scoot is a superstar or Miller just can't hack it. But I suspect this will be one that needs to simmer for a few seasons.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer

Post#878 » by Chapelchilla » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:31 pm

fatlever wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:I read that in the third year the contract will likely be below the then MLE so it should be super tradeable if we want to swap players down the road. All in all, Mitch deserves A LOT more respect then he gets around here. Is he faultless? Of course not, but he has done a mostly good job for the Hornets considering the past ownership structure and $ available to him. If Miller is better then Scoot in 2 years then he gets at least a B+ from me.
Mitch getting PJ on a team friendly deal certainly improves the Outlook of his grade for the summer.

It would have been nice if we could have also locked miles down on a team friendly deal but I certainly can understand both sides not wanting to move forward until this season plays out.

The one thing that is pretty Unforgivable in my opinion is completely ignoring our backup point guard position for 2 months and settling on Frank as a stopgap. I still believe in my heart that there would have been a deal there with Dennis on a pretty Team friendly contract had we made him feel like a priority.

I also would have liked to have seen some type of consolidation trade between all of our similar combo guard Wing types.

And lastly, even Mitch said last year that we needed to add some veteran leadership to the team and that was completely ignored.

The Miller versus scoot decision won't be really anything that Mitch can be graded on for several years, unless it's just painfully obvious from day one that scoot is a superstar or Miller just can't hack it. But I suspect this will be one that needs to simmer for a few seasons.

I agree with you for the most part. That's why I put in the caveats about a couple of years for Miller/Scoot thing and the ownership/$ part. Related- I doubt MJ empowered Mitch to offer many contracts to people during the sale process. DSJ would have been nice though. It wasn't a ton of $ but maybe he knew he would get more playing time elsewhere.
The Miles deal is obviously super complicated so taking the wait and see approach (especially if he wanted big $ and we needed see that his life/attitude changes stay on the right track) makes sense. prove it sorta year....

Anyway, hope they bring back Theo or someone else at PG.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#879 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:58 am

fatlever wrote:

I just want to add because we didn't get more leadership I'm more annoyed about the Scoot/Miller decision. Everything about Scoot screams leader, Miller's crime was literally being a follower. LaMelo might be our most talented guy, but at no point in his life has he been a leader. On top of all that you have our retread/below-average coach and we keep Drunkknight around bc why?
bravor
Starter
And1: 746

Post#880 » by bravor » Sat Sep 2, 2023 8:02 am

LofJ wrote:Organization did a great job with this contract, first time I've seen them do a declining deal:

Read on Twitter

for what i remember it was the case for Rozier's first contract here.

Return to Charlotte Hornets