ImageImage

I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!: The Steve Clifford Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Re: I'm BACKKKKKKKK!!: The Steve Clifford Thread (appointed as HC...again) 

Post#81 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Mark Williams is never going to play, is he?

This is beyond stupid. First we fire JB because he didn't win despite developing young players. Then we have too many young players, so we trade #13. Then we rehire Clifford who doesn't win or develop young players.

RIP Williams, Thor, Kai and hello Mason Plumlee playing 30MPG.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#82 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:59 pm

MJ is the worst owner in sports.

I think there is a 0% chance this is Mitch's hire. What a ***** day.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,319

Post#83 » by countryboi » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:01 pm

isnt the one of the reason why JB was fired is because he failed to develop young players? im so confused somebody do something
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#84 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Multi-year deal!?!?!

Offseason ruined. Melo is leaving. Miles needs to force a S&T before he gets the MKG corner treatment. RIP Kai, Thor, Williams, Bouknight and our hopes and dreams for the next few years.

And above all else, ******** Kenny Atkinson. We're literally right where we started a decade ago. All over again.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#85 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:05 pm

It makes no sense whatsoever

Cliff must have sold them in meetings that he learned new ways to play and he can unlock LaMelo and play the young guys

I would honestly rather play all the young guys and tank for Victor than go this route

I have no doubt we'll be a 48-50 win team this season though and get hoodwinked into thinking he's a good coach before it falls apart
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#86 » by Hornet Mania » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 pm

If Cliff comes back and buries all the young guys other than Melo/Miles this is the worst decision the franchise could have possible made this offseason.
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 188

Post#87 » by vexco » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:11 pm

I'm sorta ok with the hire if he plays the kids. If we bring in a Clifford vet like Bacon and he plays over Bouk then we're ****.
mapquest me
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#88 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Well, at least Al Jefferson is retired...for now.
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 423

Post#89 » by Rays Pompadour » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Could be he was the only one to agree to keep all the assistants. Strange times indeed.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#90 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm

This is what happened, I'd bet my house on it.

1- Kenny backed out because MJ didn't want to pay for his assistants. Not family issues.
2- When Kenny backed out, Mitch wanted to go with MDA. His #2 candidate.
3- MJ didn't want MDA because he isn't a good defensive coach.
4- Mitch therefor has to find a coach and start all over again.
5- MJ didn't want that. He wants a coach now.
6- Mitch is now forced to rehiring Clifford because MJ likes him, he is a defensive coach and we already know all about him because he was here before.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#91 » by SWedd523 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm

alright **** it, fats was right.

Total clown show on the top floor
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Re: [Stein] Cliff being considered for coaching position 

Post#92 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#93 » by stinger14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 pm

Wow!!!! I am officially taking a break from this crap. Loved the Williams pick, but the rest of last night was amateur hour s***! Then they hire this bafoon again with a team of young talent knowing he hates young talent. This negates the one good thing from last night because Williams will now rot on the bench just like Mo Bamba did in Orlando. His slower style of play is the exact opposite of what this team needs, and you can go ahead and kiss LaMelo goodbye as soon as he can skip town. Feel really bad for our young core of players and the rest of Hornets nation. MJ was a great player, but has no vision, no patience, and is the worst owner in pro sports and this franchise is the worst franchise in professional sports. Steve Clifford.....LMAO
Heelsfan119
Freshman
And1: 50

Post#94 » by Heelsfan119 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:14 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:Could be he was the only one to agree to keep all the assistants. Strange times indeed.

If that’s the case, we’re screwed. Clifford needs an “OC.”
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#95 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:15 pm

Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Post#96 » by Stun704 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:16 pm

In regards to the talking point of him not playing young players, what non bust draft pick did he have access to during his tenure? Kemba was the only player that Rich Cho drafted whom was worth a damn. To be honest, based off his roster construction he performed beyond expectations
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#97 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:19 pm

Stun704 wrote:In regards to the talking point of him not playing young players, what non bust draft pick did he have access to during his tenure? Kemba was the only player that Rich Cho drafted whom was worth a damn. To be honest, based off his roster construction he performed beyond expectations

Part of being a coach is helping young players along. When it's a chronic problem like it was under Clifford and his staff, it's an issue with the staff more so than the players. Where you get drafted is super important for a young player, especially when you draft young raw prospects like we liked to do (MKG, Biz, etc)

Look at the Spurs and Raptors and Warriors, you think they have a crystal ball in their scouting room? No they develop their talent over time.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 188

Post#98 » by vexco » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
Stun704 wrote:In regards to the talking point of him not playing young players, what non bust draft pick did he have access to during his tenure? Kemba was the only player that Rich Cho drafted whom was worth a damn. To be honest, based off his roster construction he performed beyond expectations

Part of being a coach is helping young players along. When it's a chronic problem like it was under Clifford and his staff, it's an issue with the staff more so than the players. Where you get drafted is super important for a young player, especially when you draft young raw prospects like we liked to do (MKG, Biz, etc)

Look at the Spurs and Raptors and Warriors, you think they have a crystal ball in their scouting room? No they develop their talent over time.

Let's be fair, we just didn't draft very well at all during that period.
mapquest me
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 940

Post#99 » by Robot Rock » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 pm

Popular move.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#100 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 pm

We'll win 50 games next season and but this is still a putrid move. Clifford doesn't develop young players. He's literally the opposite of Borrego. That's not a good thing.

We have a young and talented offensive roster, so we hire a strict, old defensive coach who plays Jason Maxiell over Bismack. Tries to play Cody Zeller as a stretch 4. Plays MKG in the corner of shame. And loves his old washed up vets.

He did the same thing in Orlando, they didn't develop any young players when he was there too.

Return to Charlotte Hornets