ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,252

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#521 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:56 pm

Right but if you trade him are you going to find a player that is better?
Or are we going to be playing Markelle Fultz for 2 years and be watching LaMelo pour it on someone in the playoffs?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#522 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:04 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Right but if you trade him are you going to find a player that is better?
Or are we going to be playing Markelle Fultz for 2 years and be watching LaMelo pour it on someone in the playoffs?

I am sure the Lakers would send us a few future firsts and Dlo for him, but are we willing to just get nothing out of that trade until 2029? And even if those picks conveyed and were good say top 10, the chances that they even are good as LaMelo is small. And even if the pick turned into a good player, there is no guarantee said player would be healthy either...

or would you rather just get some picks in the 20s from a contender now and move on with an average pg like Fred Van Vleet for the next few years and just try to be a playin squad?

or the Spurs sent us the Atlanta firsts they own along with another future pick. Do you think that would turn out better than LaMelo/Wemby pairing.

Hard to envision a way we move Melo and end up better IMO. He is one of our top 2-3 picks at worst in the last 20 years. Acting like we are going to draft someone and just nail it and replace him is probably not super likely.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#523 » by fatlever » Tue May 7, 2024 10:38 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Right but if you trade him are you going to find a player that is better?

who is seriously suggesting we trade him? it's a very rare take, even among those of us who are frustrated or having doubts.
why would we trade him when his value is rock bottom?
melo won't be traded unless he pulls a diva move and forces his way out... at least not for another 2 years.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#524 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:38 pm

fatlever wrote:

who is seriously suggesting we trade him? it's a very rare take, even among those of us who are frustrated or having doubts.
melo won't be traded unless he pulls a diva move and forces his way out... at least not for another 2 years.

I would say I have seen 3-4 posters be very open to the idea, I have seen a lot of fans on twitter suggest it, it has become an accepted view to at least consider trading him in several of my group chats...

I think most of it comes from seeing Edwards, Haliburton succeeding and not actually realizing how hard it is to find those players. Someone could offer 4 firsts for Haliburton and they are turning it down because they know it is hard to find a replacement. Same with Paolo, Maxey etc... so if you believe in Melo talent then you have to keep him regardless of injury imo.

Like in theory sure.. let's trade LaMelo and then draft someone just as good and have all the picks would be fine, but we know there is like a 30% chance of drafting an allstar with a top 10 pick. Number drops down a good bit if you exclude the #1 pick, so you are really just trying to get lucky.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#525 » by Rich4114 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:22 pm

fatlever wrote:

There are some noisy voices on X that regularly suggest this which in no way represent the masses. They're just the loudest and if we listened to them, we'd be locked into Terry Rozier at point guard for the next decade, Clifford as our perpetual head coach and 2 mid first draft picks for LaMelo. It's not even worth debating since like 5% of fans would actually want to do that. It would also be an enormous set back for the franchise and if you are doing that, might as well gut the roster and start over again.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#526 » by wilson115 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:44 pm

(sigh) Just hoping the injury curse goes away next year.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,555

Post#527 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 17, 2024 11:13 pm

Not sure if Cleveland would take Melo with his injury history, but I would trade him for Garland straight up if they were interested.

Not because I'm a big fan of Garland, moreso because I'm done with the uncertainty with Melo and his health. I just want a healthy reliable body at this point.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#528 » by amcoolio » Yesterday 1:27 am

If you do that trade you hope Garland has a Brunson gear in him. I still err on the side of playing Ball another season and hoping he sat out becuase the team infrastructure was bad. Ball can definitely get to Steph Curry's level if he works hard enough
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,104

Post#529 » by Liver_Pooty » Yesterday 1:32 am

amcoolio wrote:If you do that trade you hope Garland has a Brunson gear in him. I still err on the side of playing Ball another season and hoping he sat out becuase the team infrastructure was bad. Ball can definitely get to Steph Curry's level if he works hard enough

I absolutely adore Lamelo but damn. That's a high bar my man. Lol.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#530 » by GoBobs » Yesterday 1:37 am

No way do I trade him. What if the Warriors traded Steph after he had those ankle problems?

For the most part Ankles are not a big deal. Knees are a big deal.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#531 » by amcoolio » Yesterday 2:49 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
amcoolio wrote:If you do that trade you hope Garland has a Brunson gear in him. I still err on the side of playing Ball another season and hoping he sat out becuase the team infrastructure was bad. Ball can definitely get to Steph Curry's level if he works hard enough

I absolutely adore Lamelo but damn. That's a high bar my man. Lol.

LaMelo is ahead of Curry at the same age and is 5 inches taller. Curry was put into the perfect environment though, oddly enough right after an ownership change. He definitely takes the game way more seriously than LaMelo, but LaMelo has all the talent if he applied himself
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#532 » by fatlever » Yesterday 4:29 am

baby swap, steph for melo
steph grows up in the ball household
melo grows up in the curry household
how different would each be as players?

Return to Charlotte Hornets