ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Re: LaMelo Ball Thread #2 

Post#61 » by Braggins » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:35 am

Non-contact. Doesn't twist his ankle. Just plants his foot on a normal low-intensity step back move and his ankle fractures.
Read on Twitter
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#62 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:45 am

Braggins wrote:Non-contact. Doesn't twist his ankle. Just plants his foot on a normal low-intensity step back move and his ankle fractures.
Read on Twitter

It's alarming how easily the ankle fractured. Massive red flag
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#63 » by Snidely FC » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:58 pm

Bad news, man. Hate to see our young star keep getting hurt. Not sure how people can blame anyone for someone fracturing a bone. Just hope he gets completely well soon
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#64 » by wilson115 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:09 pm

JDR720 wrote:Playing with fire finally burnt us.

Guy had multiple ankle injuries and we kept playing him despite being a bottom 5 team.

Read on Twitter

Hopefully this doesn't become an issue long term.

Against a team that left half their players at home. For what? Appearances? Moral victories? Ticket sales? Pathetic.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#65 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:47 pm

So are we saying Melo shouldn't have been played for the rest of the season? Dude still needs to develop, very much don't agree that we should be shelving him if he feels healthy and gets cleared by our medical staff.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,319

Post#66 » by countryboi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:53 pm

the idea that you can babysit players is silly, these guys play ball for a living and most of them want nothing more than to hoop. I know dudes that are ready to die on the court at the YMCA. Now i don't know Melo but he seems like the type that if he thinks he can play, he is going to play.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#67 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:23 pm

What Melo did was something that could have happened in a low-intensity practice or personal workout. Just a freak accident, although I do agree it makes me concerned about whether his body will hold up over time. Unless the argument is Melo should do nothing but sit on the couch until next October this was not the medical staff's fault imo.
bubowskee
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#68 » by bubowskee » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:00 pm

I do think there is a case to be made that the Hornets have not adequately cared for LaMelo's injuries this season. Repeated injuries to his left ankle just to be playing as soon as possible to then hurt again is questionable. Severely injuring the other ankle isnt surprising when doctors and trainers both are aware that athletes will compensate for the injured leg by putting more pressure on the healthy one.

While this is a freak injury, there is reason to think it is connected to Ball's repeated ankle problems this season. And considering our record, we should be asking why we kept hurrying him back as opposed to getting fully healthy. The other bad teams in the league don't rush their young guys back, just us. Heck, look at how we treated Hayward the last two years with Borrego. He was treated with far more caution than LaMelo this year.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,204

Post#69 » by SWedd523 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:29 pm

yosemiteben wrote:So are we saying Melo shouldn't have been played for the rest of the season? Dude still needs to develop, very much don't agree that we should be shelving him if he feels healthy and gets cleared by our medical staff.

Agreed... some of these takes are borderline silly
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#70 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Mar 2, 2023 12:28 am

I don't see how the previous injuries and not resting led to this injury.

What I DO see and am concerned about Melo's future is the footwear that he plays on night in and night out. Beginning to wonder if Puma is an expertly constructed sneaker for a player of his shiftiness.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#71 » by wilson115 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:43 pm

Like many NBA players, Ball wears low tops and no ankle braces.

“I haven’t really looked into that yet,” Ball said when asked if he’s considering ankle braces. “I gotta see how I feel first when I come back. Then I will make a decision.”

Ball, who has relatively thin legs, said he wants to build more overall strength in his ankles this offseason and make sure they’re fully healed, including the bones that have been repaired when he came down wrong on his foot during a non-contact play on Feb. 27.

https://www.nba.com/news/hornets-lamelo-ball-injury-return-training-camp-2023-24-season
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#72 » by Rich4114 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:32 am

He apparently also said how excited he is for the future of the Hornets and that he loves it in Charlotte. Media and stans will surely speculate, but he’s always said things like that since he’s been drafted. Lock him up with the max, we may never get another player like him again.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#73 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:30 pm

first cracks forming

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter

He reiterates that he likes Charlotte but "he'll play it by the day" and you can't predict the future.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,369

Post#74 » by JDR720 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:54 pm

if we're not good next season, he'll probably request a trade.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#75 » by Bassman » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:00 pm

Sowing the seeds…

Ball is not going to be here if he doesn’t have massive individual and team success, plus guys he deeply cares about. Personally, I think he wants a big market and no amount of good vibes/average team performance will do it. We would be smart to consider dealing him for a huge windfall package.

I’m also convinced he is more fragile than most players. The Ball family appears to suffer injury consistently.

Lastly I don’t think LaMelo has the mental or character toughness needed to be a leader.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#76 » by SWedd523 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:41 pm

One side of that coin is that nobody should be surprised. The Ball thing from the start has been about flashy, showy, loud, media centric. Being in a small market and not seeing success would obviously lead to a negative outcome. "If I'm going to be on a bad team, I can at least be in a big market". Don't necessarily blame him if he feels that way.

The team has bee dysfunctional since he showed up. Going all in on guys like Gordo and Terry who either can't stay healthy or don't fit. The Miles implosion, Atkinson embarrassment, bringing in an old-retread who has never had success in the league, two straight play-in blowouts, terrible team his third year, even he can't stay healthy. Now MJ is looking to sell and the FO has been dookie throughout.

If you were a bright young star, would you want to stay long term with a team that hasn't won a single playoff game in two decades? Truly embarrassing.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#77 » by SWedd523 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:52 pm

The other side: he hasn't exactly proven to be "That Guy" yet. Defense has gotten worse, attacking the basket less, still not drawing fouls, not imparting his will on games like a Star needs to. Now there are long term concerns about his wrist and ankle.

Is he a Top-10-in-the-League kind of guy? If not, do we need to supermax him if he's not capable of being a lead guy in a playoff run?

Hard to tell since everything around him has been hot garbage, but the questions are there, and a smart GM would probably quietly listen to offers.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#78 » by HornetJail » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:10 pm

this screams "get me some help" and "bring back my friend Miles Bridges" to me
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,549

Post#79 » by LofJ » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:19 pm

I get being in a prove me wrong frame of mind when it comes to this team. But man the team is in a position to add a massive amount of talent to the roster this season. And if we get new ownership they aren't going to cheap out. These aren't the Kemba/Batum/Cho years where we're treading water to stay alive on a boat we can't stop from sinking. Now that **** was depressing, we aren't in a situation like that thankfully.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#80 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Return to Charlotte Hornets