ImageImage

BrandHIM Miller: The Brandon Miller Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Re: The Brandon Miller Thread 

Post#41 » by LofJ » Thu May 18, 2023 1:47 am

Been listening to some interviews with Miller and he comes off as an intelligent young guy. It makes me wonder how he found himself in that situation with Darius Miles.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#42 » by GoBobs » Thu May 18, 2023 2:52 am

The one thing I love is the FT%. If you put a team together with a bunch of players who are elite FT shooters you are going to win a lot of games.

Shooting is the only thing he is good at though. His handle, passing, defense, athletism are all below average for an nba player. He is a streak shooter also. There are going to be tons of games where he isn't hot and doesn't give you anything. Maybe a rich mans Oubre is a good comparison. That is a pretty good player, but Miller doesn't do enough things well to be worth the 2nd pick.
vexco
Pro Prospect
And1: 188

Post#43 » by vexco » Thu May 18, 2023 4:46 am

GoBobs wrote:The one thing I love is the FT%. If you put a team together with a bunch of players who are elite FT shooters you are going to win a lot of games.

Shooting is the only thing he is good at though. His handle, passing, defense, athletism are all below average for an nba player. He is a streak shooter also. There are going to be tons of games where he isn't hot and doesn't give you anything. Maybe a rich mans Oubre is a good comparison. That is a pretty good player, but Miller doesn't do enough things well to be worth the 2nd pick.

This is just flat out wrong.
mapquest me
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#44 » by KingCat » Thu May 18, 2023 4:49 am

vexco wrote:
GoBobs wrote:The one thing I love is the FT%. If you put a team together with a bunch of players who are elite FT shooters you are going to win a lot of games.

It really isn't. Maybe his passing is better than op is giving credit, but his handles looked wonky vs mediocre college defenders. The more tape I see of this guy, the more i think NBA defenders will turn him into just a spot up role player
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,108

Post#45 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 18, 2023 6:03 am

Lol this is just ridiculously wrong. I'm sorry.

Awful take.

Edit: I'll take take Miller over Scoot, but both have ridiculously good attributes. I'm okay with both. But that's such a bad take my man.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,263

Post#46 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu May 18, 2023 9:10 am

vexco wrote:

Agreed. Some of these Miller takes are disrespectful, bordering on embarrassing.

"Okayish shooter"
"Below average handle, passing, defense and athleticism"

Look I'm all for people having a preference (I haven't made up my own mind yet) but there's no need to make dramatic and awful statements that have no bearing with reality.

Miller was one of the best players in the NCAA last season as a freshman but he's apparently going to be below average at NBA level at everything except shooting, which he'll be OKish at - IF his shooting translates?!?!

Seriously take a breath everyone and try to post with some impartiality.

I think both Scoot and Miller look like great prospects at this point in time and I'm going to go over both of their games in a lot more detail before the hyperbole comes out.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,705

Post#47 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 18, 2023 11:51 am

My comment about him having a shakey handle came from watching the weakness section of this video:

https://youtu.be/guTUeq8zsDY

27% TO rate in PNR is a crazy stat
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#48 » by GoBobs » Thu May 18, 2023 1:01 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
vexco wrote:

Agreed. Some of these Miller takes are disrespectful, bordering on embarrassing.

"Okayish shooter"

Look I'm all for people having a preference (I haven't made up my own mind yet) but there's no need to make dramatic and awful statements that have no bearing with reality.

Miller was one of the best players in the NCAA last season as a freshman but he's apparently going to be below average at NBA level at everything except shooting, which he'll be OKish at - IF his shooting translates?!?!

I think both Scoot and Miller look like great prospects at this point in time and I'm going to go over both of their games in a lot more detail before the hyperbole comes out.

I don't know.. that is pretty much the way I see it. The draft is a minefeild of busts so to a certain extent I guess I am going to be critical of all these top guys. I have watched a bunch of Brandon Miller full games and when his shot isn't going you can't find him with a microscope.

If people think his handle, defense, passing or athletism are going to be average or above average at the NBA level I am interested in hearing why. Maybe I am wrong so if there is a reason you think he is going to be good, share it with me.

I am just saying if there was a continium and on one end you had guys that could handle pass and shoot at an elite level like Kevin Durrant or Devin Booker and at the other end like a Joe Harris who is just an elite spot up shooter, Brandon Miller seems a lot closer to the Joe Harris side than the Kevin Durrant side.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#49 » by SWedd523 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:37 pm

that has more to do with KD being a top 15ish all time player than anything remarking on Miller as a prospect.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#50 » by BeesWax » Thu May 18, 2023 4:07 pm

I don't think it does. I think it is a comment on who he may be as a player. There is nothing wrong with a strong spot up shoot who won't be played off the floor on defense but if the Scoot is close to prime Rose comparison is real based on athletic ability and everything that is closer to a top tier guy that Miller appears to be.

I think Miller will be solid and has a higher floor than Scoot but Scoot has the higher ceiling. I guess the question becomes who do you think has the work ethic and desire to get closer to that top end. If one has a better drive than the other it may be the way to go and hope the sky is the limit.
Spoiler:
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#51 » by SWedd523 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:23 pm

BeesWax wrote:I don't think it does. I think it is a comment on who he may be as a player. There is nothing wrong with a strong spot up shoot who won't be played off the floor on defense but if the Scoot is close to prime Rose comparison is real based on athletic ability and everything that is closer to a top tier guy that Miller appears to be.

I think Miller will be solid and has a higher floor than Scoot but Scoot has the higher ceiling. I guess the question becomes who do you think has the work ethic and desire to get closer to that top end. If one has a better drive than the other it may be the way to go and hope the sky is the limit.

Overwhelming odds that Scoot is closer to DSJ than Rose too.

That's the point. It's not an indictment on him as a prospect, it's just reality that he probably won't be an MVP tier guy who was looking at top 5 at his position had he not gotten hurt.

Saying "Miller is closer to Joe Harris and Scoot is closer to Rose" is just favoritism speaking, much the same way "Miller is closer to KD and Scoot is closer to DSJ".

Hell, you could just as easily phrase it as Miller's floor of Korver/Harris/Strus is better than Scoot's DSJ/Fultz/Payton II.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#52 » by BeesWax » Thu May 18, 2023 4:31 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
BeesWax wrote:I don't think it does. I think it is a comment on who he may be as a player. There is nothing wrong with a strong spot up shoot who won't be played off the floor on defense but if the Scoot is close to prime Rose comparison is real based on athletic ability and everything that is closer to a top tier guy that Miller appears to be.

Overwhelming odds that Scoot is closer to DSJ than Rose too.

That's the point. It's not an indictment on him as a prospect, it's just reality that he probably won't be an MVP tier guy who was looking at top 5 at his position had he not gotten hurt.

Saying "Miller is closer to Joe Harris and Scoot is closer to Rose" is just favoritism speaking, much the same way "Miller is closer to KD and Scoot is closer to DSJ".

Hell, you could just as easily phrase it as Miller's floor of Korver/Harris/Strus is better than Scoot's DSJ/Fultz/Payton II.

It's not really favoritism when one has shown more athletic ability and skills closer to one than the other. The only skill Miller has shown at an elite level to this point is shooting. He looks solid in a lot of other things but not great. Really the main knock on Scoot is shooting which other than 3pt shooting has not been terrible. I am just basing this off what I have seen and what I can find places on them right now. It appears Miller is the safe pick that will just be a solid guy and Scoot has the upside.

I said Miller had the higher floor but also is capped by his athletic ability. Scoot is a great athlete even compared to other pros but needs coaching on other things. Right now Scoot is closer to early Rose than Miller is early KD and that is just something you can see on film. Miller looks more like a high level 3-D guy to me. which every team can use, while Scoot look more boom or bust. I would rather take the swing than go the ok but safe route. Either way we go I will just hope for the best out of that prospect.
Spoiler:
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#53 » by BeesWax » Thu May 18, 2023 4:39 pm

Of the comparisons I have seen the ones I like.
Miller: High end - Middleton Low End - Joe Harris
Scoot: High end - Prime Rose Low End - Eric Bledsoe
Spoiler:
vexco
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by vexco » Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm

GoBobs wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
vexco wrote:

"Okayish shooter"

I don't know.. that is pretty much the way I see it. The draft is a minefeild of busts so to a certain extent I guess I am going to be critical of all these top guys. I have watched a bunch of Brandon Miller full games and when his shot isn't going you can't find him with a microscope.

If people think his handle, defense, passing or athletism are going to be average or above average at the NBA level I am interested in hearing why. Maybe I am wrong so if there is a reason you think he is going to be good, share it with me.

I am just saying if there was a continium and on one end you had guys that could handle pass and shoot at an elite level like Kevin Durrant or Devin Booker and at the other end like a Joe Harris who is just an elite spot up shooter, Brandon Miller seems a lot closer to the Joe Harris side than the Kevin Durrant side.

Do you remember KD at Texas? If I recall correctly, scouting reports at the time were about the same. Average passer, careless with the ball, didn't defend well in college. If you're trying to compare Miller to a finished product then ok but it seems pretty unfair.
mapquest me
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#55 » by Bassman » Thu May 18, 2023 5:32 pm

Lots of decisions and conclusions will come from the workouts and interviews. Would be great if they’d have Melo hoop with both guys (if that is allowed), presuming he’s physically able. Dive into backgrounds, gauge drive, determination and leadership. It’s one of Miller or Scoot, short of a trade.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#56 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 18, 2023 5:37 pm

vexco wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:Agreed. Some of these Miller takes are disrespectful, bordering on embarrassing.

"Okayish shooter"

Do you remember KD at Texas? If I recall correctly, scouting reports at the time were about the same. Average passer, careless with the ball, didn't defend well in college. If you're trying to compare Miller to a finished product then ok but it seems pretty unfair.

KD was a far superior prospect. Much better stats and better physical traits (6"+ wingspan difference).

I believe Durant was 18 years old when he was drafted, whereas Miller is 20.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#57 » by JMAC3 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Miller profiles pretty similar to Tatum and Ingram in college.

In fact he has a higher winshares, TS%, EFG%, Ast%, Points produced, PER.

While having nearly the exact same usage rate.
He has 12% TO%, Ingram was 11.3%, Tatum 15%

Tatum and Ingram have better block and steal% though.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#58 » by SWedd523 » Thu May 18, 2023 5:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
vexco wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

KD was a far superior prospect. Much better stats and better physical traits (6"+ wingspan difference).

Agreed. That's why nobody is seriously comparing Miller to him
vexco
Pro Prospect

Post#59 » by vexco » Thu May 18, 2023 5:40 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
vexco wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

Agreed but I'm talking about weaknesses at the college level alone. KD is a better athlete but my point is more that comparing him to a finished product is disingenuous.
mapquest me
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#60 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 18, 2023 5:43 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
vexco wrote:

Agreed. That's why nobody is seriously comparing Miller to him

The point being made was that the characteristics being described don't disqualify someone from being an elite player. My point was to do so you have to have other elite qualities and physical attributes to offset them.

Return to Charlotte Hornets