ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,544

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1321 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 5, 2024 7:43 pm

amcoolio wrote:Deni was a 17/9/4 player after the all-star break and a smart, tough team player. We would all absolutely be thrilled to get that with the #1 overall pick in this draft :lol: I'd say 2 out of the top 8 prospects actually reaches those stat lines in 5 years

Bradley Beal looked great on the Wizards. Then he got traded to a team with expectations and he has failed so far.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#1322 » by fatlever » Sun May 5, 2024 9:01 pm

i've got no issue with us moving the pick as part of a del to add another vet to the team. but i'd want to add a vet with some leadership and playoff experience, not just another young guy on a rookie deal.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#1323 » by Bassman » Sun May 5, 2024 10:51 pm

I think it will take a very unique circumstance to see us deal our pick, or our pick with a player, to obtain a veteran starter. Some team would need to fall in love with a prospect, and this group just doesn’t seem to have a knockout star, even at #1.

Curious, who could be a target for us to realistically trade for that would work great for this Hornets squad?
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1324 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 1:17 am

Bassman wrote:I think it will take a very unique circumstance to see us deal our pick, or our pick with a player, to obtain a veteran starter. Some team would need to fall in love with a prospect, and this group just doesn’t seem to have a knockout star, even at #1.

Curious, who could be a target for us to realistically trade for that would work great for this Hornets squad?

These aren't players that would fit, just players that who could be available.

Julius Randle
Bradley Beal (Yeah good luck with that :D )
Lauri Markkanen
Kat
Dejounte Murray
Kyle Kuzma
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 947

Post#1325 » by MugzZo » Mon May 6, 2024 3:26 am

Ron Holland if we don't pick number 1 (sarr) seems like it the most sense. Nobody has an upside comparable to a jaylen brown level impact player at their own positions in this draft. To me he's gotta be highly considered.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,950

Post#1326 » by Diop » Mon May 6, 2024 4:21 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Bassman wrote:I think it will take a very unique circumstance to see us deal our pick, or our pick with a player, to obtain a veteran starter. Some team would need to fall in love with a prospect, and this group just doesn’t seem to have a knockout star, even at #1.

Julius Randle
Lauri Markkanen
Kat
Dejounte Murray
Kyle Kuzma

I’m not convinced KAT is available either with Minnesota’s current run
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#1327 » by MPM » Mon May 6, 2024 12:56 pm

Ok. Fully locked in. Sarr, Topic, Holland in that order.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#1328 » by Rich4114 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:24 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

Julius Randle
Lauri Markkanen
Kat
Dejounte Murray
Kyle Kuzma

I'd take Lauri, KAT and Dejounte. Definitely not Beal and definitely not Kuzma. Randle is a bit of a double edged sword.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#1329 » by Snidely FC » Tue May 7, 2024 11:24 am

Buzelis seems to have fallen out of favor on this board, but the impression he made at the Rising Stars Game appears to have stuck, as when the NBA released its first ever prospect Top 10 list this week, the league ranked Buzelis as the #2 prospect.

NBA's Ranking:
1. Sarr
2-6. Buzelis Castle Clingan Risacher Topic
7-10. Dillingham Sheppard Holland Knecht

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/nba-shares-top-10-draft-prospects-with-new-rules-potentially-impacting-the-toronto-raptors

After the All Star weekend festivities, Jonathan Givony wrote about Matas Buzelis...
Buzelis was on a major platform at the Rising Stars game, where he was able to match up with Oklahoma City's Chet Holmgren, Charlotte's Brandon Miller and many other of the NBA's most talented young players. He showed his passing creativity, shot-making prowess, defensive playmaking instincts and all-around aggressiveness attacking opponents consistently -- even hitting a game-winning turnaround jumper to advance to the championship game.

Being able to showcase his tremendous size, improving frame and intriguing versatility on both ends of the floor was a major opportunity for Buzelis, something that will likely stick with the many NBA executives in attendance ahead of the pre-draft process.

Maybe we should be paying more attention to Buzelis in Buzz City?
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,649

Post#1330 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 1:50 pm

Sarr Holland and Castle are growing on me.

I think our future has to be as a team that uses their length and flies around on defense, plays physical, etc. LaMelo being a 6’7” PG is sort of a superpower in this way for us.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#1331 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:49 pm

I think the draft prospects we consider will become more clear once we know the draft order.

I don't think Sarr will be an option for a team like San Antonio or even Detroit.

I will be happy if we land anywhere in the top 5.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#1332 » by GoBobs » Tue May 7, 2024 3:51 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Sarr Holland and Castle are growing on me.

I think our future has to be as a team that uses their length and flies around on defense, plays physical, etc. LaMelo being a 6’7” PG is sort of a superpower in this way for us.

It is a nice vision, but that is also why we drafted Kai Jones. Sengun didn't fit and we passed on him. Sometimes your just better off taking the guy that knows how to play even if he isn't the best fit.

Castle is physical but I don't know about the length. Sarr has length but isn't physical. Holland might be the best option to give you both.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1333 » by Bassman » Tue May 7, 2024 4:00 pm

Buzelis is not the second best prospect IMO. A team selecting him must hope he can improve his shooting dramatically, be able to add significant strength to his frame, and gain a better handle at league level. I like his attitude and spunk, his length and decent skill set.

Still rate Risacher and Sarr above him, probably Clingan and Castle also, for this Hornets team.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,649

Post#1334 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 5:05 pm

Bassman wrote:Buzelis is not the second best prospect IMO. A team selecting him must hope he can improve his shooting dramatically, be able to add significant strength to his frame, and gain a better handle at league level. I like his attitude and spunk, his length and decent skill set.

Still rate Risacher and Sarr above him, probably Clingan and Castle also, for this Hornets team.

Really? His motor and competitiveness is one of the things I find most questionable about him lol
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#1335 » by Rich4114 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:07 pm

If we got #1, we should take Sarr. If we got #2 or after, I think I'd go Clingan as next best prospect / safest prospect.

Of the high risk / high reward guys I like Buzelis the most. I just don't know enough about Risacher and Holland seems pretty polarizing.

As far as the others, nobody wows me including Castle or Sheppard.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,249

Post#1336 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:07 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Buzelis seems to have fallen out of favor on this board, but the impression he made at the Rising Stars Game appears to have stuck, as when the NBA released its first ever prospect Top 10 list this week, the league ranked Buzelis as the #2 prospect.

NBA's Ranking:
1. Sarr
2-6. Buzelis Castle Clingan Risacher Topic
7-10. Dillingham Sheppard Holland Knecht

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/nba-shares-top-10-draft-prospects-with-new-rules-potentially-impacting-the-toronto-raptors

After the All Star weekend festivities, Jonathan Givony wrote about Matas Buzelis...
Buzelis was on a major platform at the Rising Stars game, where he was able to match up with Oklahoma City's Chet Holmgren, Charlotte's Brandon Miller and many other of the NBA's most talented young players. He showed his passing creativity, shot-making prowess, defensive playmaking instincts and all-around aggressiveness attacking opponents consistently -- even hitting a game-winning turnaround jumper to advance to the championship game.

Being able to showcase his tremendous size, improving frame and intriguing versatility on both ends of the floor was a major opportunity for Buzelis, something that will likely stick with the many NBA executives in attendance ahead of the pre-draft process.

Maybe we should be paying more attention to Buzelis in Buzz City?

Just want to note, this is not how they are ranked. They are in alphabetical order
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1337 » by Bassman » Tue May 7, 2024 8:46 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Bassman wrote:Buzelis is not the second best prospect IMO. A team selecting him must hope he can improve his shooting dramatically, be able to add significant strength to his frame, and gain a better handle at league level. I like his attitude and spunk, his length and decent skill set.

Really? His motor and competitiveness is one of the things I find most questionable about him lol

Per some scouting Buzelis plays with a chip on his shoulder, and believes he is the best prospect in this draft. I like that self assurance even if it’s not correct. Wouldn’t call it “alpha dog” level, but possibly more driven than Sarr or Risacher.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1338 » by Bassman » Tue May 7, 2024 8:53 pm

Rich4114 wrote:If we got #1, we should take Sarr. If we got #2 or after, I think I'd go Clingan as next best prospect / safest prospect.

Of the high risk / high reward guys I like Buzelis the most. I just don't know enough about Risacher and Holland seems pretty polarizing.

Tend to agree on Sarr…I might take Risacher at 2, but definitely would consider Clingan there or certainly at #3. We won’t really know what these teams get it of the personal workouts but those will be very important. Does Sarr really have the tools to become a strong starter/possible all star, or is he too big a reach? Can Clingan show the kind of mobility and reaction time at a pro level, along with some dependable shooting range? Is Risacher really good with NBA type athleticism or was his resume enhanced by lesser competition?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#1339 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 12:03 am

Bassman wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:If we got #1, we should take Sarr. If we got #2 or after, I think I'd go Clingan as next best prospect / safest prospect.

Tend to agree on Sarr…I might take Risacher at 2, but definitely would consider Clingan there or certainly at #3. We won’t really know what these teams get it of the personal workouts but those will be very important. Does Sarr really have the tools to become a strong starter/possible all star, or is he too big a reach? Can Clingan show the kind of mobility and reaction time at a pro level, along with some dependable shooting range? Is Risacher really good with NBA type athleticism or was his resume enhanced by lesser competition?

Clingan is the last guy that I would peg for upside on developing shooting range. He can't even hit free throws.

Both Clingan and Sarr wound need to add weight to play center. A bunch of these guys are 2 years away, but Sarr as a center is 2 years away from being 2 years away from being 2 years away.
Bassman
Lead Assistant

Post#1340 » by Bassman » Wed May 8, 2024 12:36 am

GoBobs wrote:
Bassman wrote:

Clingan is the last guy that I would peg for upside on developing shooting range. He can't even hit free throws.

Both Clingan and Sarr wound need to add weight to play center. A bunch of these guys are 2 years away, but Sarr as a center is 2 years away from being 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Clingan is already pretty stout, at 7’2” and 280lbs, with good strength, so I think he can effectively play right away. I know his shooting is limited but he has good form so he can improve a bit on that. Sarr’s position in the league is PF and should only play spot minutes at center IMO.

Return to Charlotte Hornets