GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1361 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 5:45 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
Okay, but Jokic was a 2nd round pick. Gobert was taken end of the first round. It wouldn't be the first time everybody got it wrong for the most part.

Jay Bilas - "he is going to have a long career in the NBA as long as he doesn't get hurt. I see him as a top 15-20 pick."

JJ Reddick - "He has size, has a motor, clearly holds grudges. I am willing to bet on those guys."

Dan Hurley - "If Zach Edey is not a lottery pick and a tremendous NBA player something is wrong with the NBA"

Dean on Draft had him 20 last year in a draft that was a great draft. Probably going to be higher this year.

He has only one question mark, mobility on defense. Every thing else he does not just well, but at an elite level. Elite level scoring and rebounding. Elite level screen setting. Draws tons of fouls and hardly ever gets called for a foul. Hits his free throws. If that one question about his mobility is overstated, he is a star.

Then look at the combine testing from last year. According to the results he tested out a lot better than Gobert. Gobert himself has had questions about mobility and was played off the floor in the playoffs by a small ball team, but overall he is a good player.

And then we also have other recent guys that were drafted a lot later than they should have been due to this mobility on defense questions. Luka went 5 despite a lot of evidence that he put up great numbers. People said, he is not athletic, the nba is different, he won't be able to guard. Sengun went later than he should have due to questions about mobility on defense.

If this same question is overstated about Edey he is a star day 1. Not 2 years away like the rest of these guys, somebody that can come in and be a difference maker day 1.

I think it’s way harder to evaluate the international guys than the multi year NCAA guys. Sure, he can definitely end up being a star and everything we’ve hoped and dreamed of but based on the majority of experts, that seems less likely than about 20 other prospects. Not saying I’m against Edey or anything just pointing out the facts. Would be shocked if he went lottery. This is a good draft to take a swing or reach on someone though.

Yes Jokic was drafted at age 19, by the age of 20 he was a better player than current day Edey who is 22 on draft night. Gobert was 20. So younger, more time to improve and we had way less film on them to understand strengths.

Jokic would have been a top 5 pick in the following years draft after he was stashed for 1 year.

The examples are just nothing alike.

Say 20 year old Jokic was better than 22 year old Edey is just you making up nonsense. There is no way to compare the two.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#1362 » by amcoolio » Wed May 8, 2024 6:27 pm

I would be a lot more comfortable gambling on Edey if he didn't labor up and down the floor like his knees already hurt him. I do think the NBA is trending to twin bigs but Mark Williams would really have to learn how to shoot all of a sudden for it to work here
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#1363 » by JMAC3 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:40 pm

GoBobs wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:I think it’s way harder to evaluate the international guys than the multi year NCAA guys. Sure, he can definitely end up being a star and everything we’ve hoped and dreamed of but based on the majority of experts, that seems less likely than about 20 other prospects. Not saying I’m against Edey or anything just pointing out the facts. Would be shocked if he went lottery. This is a good draft to take a swing or reach on someone though.

Yes Jokic was drafted at age 19, by the age of 20 he was a better player than current day Edey who is 22 on draft night. Gobert was 20. So younger, more time to improve and we had way less film on them to understand strengths.

Jokic would have been a top 5 pick in the following years draft after he was stashed for 1 year.

Say 20 year old Jokic was better than 22 year old Edey is just you making up nonsense. There is no way to compare the two.

20 year old Jokic was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting, first team all rookie. Took the starting spot for the Nuggets from Nurkic who was on the all-rookie team the year before.... Edey is very unlikely to do any of that as a 22 year old rookie.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1364 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 6:55 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

20 year old Jokic was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting, first team all rookie. Took the starting spot for the Nuggets from Nurkic who was on the all-rookie team the year before.... Edey is very unlikely to do any of that as a 22 year old rookie.

Edey is the most likely guy to make an all rookie team. He is the most likely rookie to end the year with a starting spot. All these other rooks are 2 years away.

None of that stuff is evidence that 20 year old Jokic is better than 22 year old Edey either. It is just hard to compare a college guy who averages 25/12/2 with an NBA guy who averages 10 pts 7 reb 2.5 ast, it is just apples and oranges because they play a different level of competition.
amcoolio

Post#1365 » by amcoolio » Wed May 8, 2024 6:58 pm

I'm back on Sarr as the top of of my board. I just think if he works hard he has the best chance to shine and with his size and athleticism he can be elite.

Still pretty down on everyone else. Castle has horrible shooting mechanics and subpar athleticism, I just don't know for the life of me why he would be considered a top 8 pick. He is so much like Okoro, maybe Fultz with less shot creation, just seems like a player you don't want in today's NBA but are forced to play because of lack of other options.

Cody Williams would be the easy top 3 pick but has even worse athletic metrics than Castle.

I honestly think Topic, Sheppard, and Holland round out my top 4, with ZR a very tepid 5.

Clingan 6, Cody 7 (and just basically hope he can get in the weight room and surprise is like Miller did), Walter 8th, Buzelis 9th, Dillingham 10th, Edey 11th. Really not interested in anyone else, its pure gambling on one number at the roulette wheel at this point
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#1366 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:45 pm

Hornets can't pick any lower than 7th, so all of the Edey talk is pointless unless you really can't name 7 guys higher on a draft list.

I feel like even if you're a super homer, you can't put him any higher than late lottery or so
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#1367 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:48 pm

Sarr, Buzelis, Holland, Topic, Risacher, Castle, Williams, Clingan, Dillingham, Sheppard, Walter, Collier, Knecht.

Easily 10-14 guys I'd look at before Edey enters the convo
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,615

Post#1368 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 9:14 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Hornets can't pick any lower than 7th, so all of the Edey talk is pointless unless you really can't name 7 guys higher on a draft list.

I feel like even if you're a super homer, you can't put him any higher than late lottery or so

This guy gets it. :D
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1369 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 9:27 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Hornets can't pick any lower than 7th, so all of the Edey talk is pointless unless you really can't name 7 guys higher on a draft list.

Edey is number 1 by a landslide. If we get pick 3 or 4 or 5 we should trade up to number 1 and then Steve Clifford should sprint to the podium to take Edey.
SWedd523
RealGM

Post#1370 » by SWedd523 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:56 pm

GoBobs wrote:

Edey is number 1 by a landslide. If we get pick 3 or 4 or 5 we should trade up to number 1 and then Steve Clifford should sprint to the podium to take Edey.

I'm legitimately not sure if you're trolling or if that's how you truly feel
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#1371 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed May 8, 2024 10:10 pm

GoBobs wrote:

So we should trade up to 1 to get a guy we know will almost certainly be available at pick 10-20? Okie dokie...
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1372 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 10:12 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

That is truly how I feel. He is going to be very, very good in the NBA and is being seriously underrated. Everybody else might be good, but probably a bust.

These guys averaging 10 pts per game that are 2 years away, 6/7 of them are busts.
amcoolio

Post#1373 » by amcoolio » Wed May 8, 2024 10:13 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

He's not trolling, he's been on the Edey train on the NBA Draft board for a while. He legitimately thinks he's the next Shaq.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1374 » by GoBobs » Wed May 8, 2024 10:16 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

So we should trade up to 1 to get a guy we know will almost certainly be available at pick 10-20? Okie dokie...

We should because, you never know what is going to happen, it only takes one team to like him and he is gone. The second reason we should is because Edey is a very loyal guy.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#1375 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed May 8, 2024 10:22 pm

GoBobs wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

We should because, you never know what is going to happen, it only takes one team to like him and he is gone. The second reason we should is because Edey is a very loyal guy.

Take a step back, calm down and breathe. You are all up in your feelings.

If Edey is as loyal as you say he'll be just the same whether we pick him at 1, 7 or 49, so that reasoning makes no sense.

No one is picking him before 7, which is our worst case scenario. There's absolutely no need to trade up for Edey.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,666

Post#1376 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 10:38 pm

Edey does genuinely intrigue me but if we land a top 3 pick it’d be malpractice to take him that high.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#1377 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 8, 2024 10:50 pm

All fun and games until Edey averages 20 and 10 his second year in the league and gobobs looks like a damn genius.

And no I don't think that will happen.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,666

Post#1378 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 11:06 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:All fun and games until Edey averages 20 and 10 his second year in the league and gobobs looks like a damn genius.

He absolutely could average 20 and 10 if a team committed to playing him 35 MPG, that’s not out of the question at all.

The question is if you could field a modern offense or a competitive defense doing so.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,105

Post#1379 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed May 8, 2024 11:19 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:All fun and games until Edey averages 20 and 10 his second year in the league and gobobs looks like a damn genius.

He absolutely could average 20 and 10 if a team committed to playing him 35 MPG, that’s not out of the question at all.

The question is if you could field a modern offense or a competitive defense doing so.

To be fair we fielded an okay defense with AL Jefferson as our starting center.

Now you guys got me defending Zach Edey what the hell
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#1380 » by GoBobs » Thu May 9, 2024 1:12 am

Well part of the equation is when you shoot a 3 there are a lot of long rebounds and a lot of run outs. Even more so when you shoot a contested 3 that you have to force up just to get something up.

If you get more points close to the basket it helps your defense because it limits long rebounds.

It also opens up perimeter and mid range shots, just like the run can open up the deep ball in foosball.

Return to Charlotte Hornets