ImageImage

FIRE MITCH!

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Re: FIRE MITCH! 

Post#101 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:51 pm

fatlever wrote:"this team, only 3 years ago, under a completely different coach, won an incredible 43 games. remember that? it's basically the same team. so, it's fine. this is basically a 43 win team, plus Miller and Mark. that's like, 50 wins for sure. just gotta stay the course"

#girlmath
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#102 » by Braggins » Tue Jan 2, 2024 5:59 pm

Its really maddening. Charlotte and Detroit are in a tier of their own right now in terms of how incompetent and delusional the franchise seems to be.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Post#103 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 2, 2024 6:13 pm

18 players under contract this season
mitch personally signed or drafted all 18, none were inherited
14 of the 18 players were either drafted by mitch or signed as rookie free agents
9 of 18 players are still on a rookie contract
4 "vets" on the entire team and that includes Frank
this is is all mitch 100%
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#104 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:19 pm

fatlever wrote:18 players under contract this season
14 of the 18 players were either drafted by mitch or signed as rookie free agents

Has Mitch surpassed Cho as worst all time GM yet? It's gotta be close. The thing that haunts me the most of his tenure is actually trading SGA away.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#105 » by KingCat » Wed Jan 3, 2024 12:31 am

Rich4114 wrote:
fatlever wrote:18 players under contract this season

Has Mitch surpassed Cho as worst all time GM yet? It's gotta be close. The thing that haunts me the most of his tenure is actually trading SGA away.

No shot. Cho's weak signing and even weaker drafting tanked the entire Kemba era and secured our status as the worst franchise in the NBA and among the worst in sports. Mitch has atleast been a passable drafter.

Cannot let recency bias get in the way of how terrible Cho was.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,959

Post#106 » by Diop » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:03 am

I hate Mitch more than Cho, I loved Cho's trades where he would scam a first or find a McBob.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,705

Post#107 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 3, 2024 1:38 am

Diop wrote:I hate Mitch more than Cho, I loved Cho's trades where he would scam a first or find a McBob.

Nah he'd scam a second then sell it.

The irony is Mitch has been mining the 2nd round for talent like everyone was desperate for Cho to do.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,959

Post#108 » by Diop » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:20 am

yosemiteben wrote:
Diop wrote:I hate Mitch more than Cho, I loved Cho's trades where he would scam a first or find a McBob.

Nah he'd scam a second then sell it.

The irony is Mitch has been mining the 2nd round for talent like everyone was desperate for Cho to do.

i was referring to when we got paid a 1st round pick to take on Ben Gordon

getting Lamb for Luke Ridnours corpse was pretty good as well

Courtney Lee was a good get as well for PJ Hairston.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Post#109 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:38 am

Mitch is better at drafting, Cho was better at everything else.

Though, at drafting, Mitch has two big swings and misses. Bouknight, Kai.

Cho at least managed to draft contributors, even if they were taken 10 picks too high. His only big miss was Vonleh. Maybe PJ Hairston too. and Monk, although he was let go under Mitch?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/chori99x.html

Cho also managed to put together a 48 win team with Al Jefferson and Kemba. Although that was a flash in the pan. He signed Lance too, although nobody thought that would turn out so bad. Can't fault him for signing the top FA SG available. Mitch wouldn't even attempt such a thing.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#110 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:51 pm

JDR720 wrote:Mitch is better at drafting, Cho was better at everything else.

Though, at drafting, Mitch has two big swings and misses. Bouknight, Kai.

Cho at least managed to draft contributors, even if they were taken 10 picks too high. His only big miss was Vonleh. Maybe PJ Hairston too. and Monk, although he was let go under Mitch?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/chori99x.html

Cho also managed to put together a 48 win team with Al Jefferson and Kemba. Although that was a flash in the pan. He signed Lance too, although nobody thought that would turn out so bad. Can't fault him for signing the top FA SG available. Mitch wouldn't even attempt such a thing.

Cho was trying to sign guys early and beat their value before they demanded more. It's why he gave Kemba, MKG and Cody $12-$14m/yr each. It worked for Kemba, if you recall he had an amazingly cheap deal for his production but then MKG became an albatross and the end was that Batum contract. I think he just got pretty unlucky. Selling the seconds was all MJ. Wouldn't have mattered though as Cho was awful at drafting. Mitch has had his blunders too. I'm glad we decided to invest in development and use the second round, but that was more because of the expansion of the G League and 2-Way contracts if you ask me. Mitch has been drunk on second rounders ever since, exclusively relying on them to build his team and mostly abandoning free agency and trades.

I guess they're both dog ****
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 998

Post#111 » by wilson115 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 1:54 pm

How are we doing

samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,461

Post#112 » by samwana » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:02 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
Diop wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:I had a huge paragraph typed up and then this page randomly refreshed and killed it all. Anyway Mitch sucks and yes, this thread was needed.

Also RealGM is a cesspool of spam and popup ads.

im sure you had good points in your paragraph, but this post made me giggle.

This has happened so many times to me, specifically on mobile. There’s gotta be better ways to pay the bills
Use the realgm app on mobile, it has its warts, but adds are gone. (from a sneeked in Bulls fan )
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#113 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:43 pm

exactly... use the app for mobile. no ads.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#114 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:17 pm

Mitch appears to have pretty done in draft with NSj and Miller just saying....
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#115 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:45 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Mitch appears to have pretty done in draft with NSj and Miller just saying....

hard to **** up at #2, regardless it will be years before we know if he made the right choice. i'm happy with miller, but not sure he gives off star vibes yet. we'll see.
enough stabs at combo guards and you finally hit on one

doesn't excuse the fact that he's been absolutely awful in every other aspect of building a team, front office, staff and culture for the past 4 years

mitch is a massive failure. i would much rather have had cho the past 4 years. i also believe mj meddled a lot more under cho than mitch. selling those 2nd rounders under cho was all mj.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#116 » by Braggins » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:06 pm

I honestly find it a bit troubling/concerning that the new owners haven't fired him (or seemingly anyone for that matter).

I was listening to one of Nate Duncans podcasts the other day (I think the one with Hollinger) and they said it seems like the new regime is basically a shadow MJ regime, which I thought was a good way to describe the situation.

They weren't speculating that MJ still has control or anything like that (who knows though tbh), but that the new owners were basically operating so far exactly the same as you would expect the MJ regime to.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#117 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:13 pm

Firing Mitch and Cliff mid year really do very little for the organization. I agree they are on the way out, but it really doesn't do much to promote someone to interim GM or interim HC. I would rather them take their times behind the scenes and make the right decision and not rush to do it just so they can check it off the bucket list.
Big Board
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#118 » by KingCat » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:48 pm

Doesn't make sense to judge our new ownership till this summer.

They took over the team late in the offseason and two of our best players got significant injuries early on. A rage firing of Mitch isn't gonna do anything for us either way so i don't blame nor dislike them for taking a handoff approach to start their time here.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#119 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:53 pm

Any good Gm candidate is already doing Draft and FA work, so whether that is in house or for another team right now probably doesn't change much. I agree the new GM should be in place by FA and Draft but there is a ton of time before we are worrying about that.
Big Board
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#120 » by fatlever » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:06 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Firing Mitch and Cliff mid year really do very little for the organization. I agree they are on the way out, but it really doesn't do much to promote someone to interim GM or interim HC. I would rather them take their times behind the scenes and make the right decision and not rush to do it just so they can check it off the bucket list.

i agree about cliff. firing him is pointless. any interim coach, at this point, would just be someone from cliff's staff. no thanks.
running out of time on mitch tbh. the argument to get a new gm in now would be
1. let new gm, not lame duck gm, make the decisions on trades at deadline
2. give new gm several months to evaluate roster, in person, before having to make big decisions this summer on miles and any other trades. only so much a paper gm can do to evaluate from his laptop and cell phone

Return to Charlotte Hornets