ImageImage

This seasons injuries.

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Re: This seasons injuries. 

Post#21 » by Rich4114 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:19 am

My guess is Mark has a disc issue that they’re trying to treat with physical therapy. No damn way it’s a bruise.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Post#22 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:04 am

i had a ruptured disc in my neck 2.5 years ago. c7. worst pain imaginable. took 10 weeks to calm down. i couldn't move for a month. pinched nerves in the spine are the **** worst. i hope its not nerve related.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#23 » by Rich4114 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:12 am

fatlever wrote:i had a ruptured disc in my neck 2.5 years ago. c7. worst pain imaginable. took 10 weeks to calm down. i couldn't move for a month. pinched nerves in the spine are the **** worst. i hope its not nerve related.

Had a bulging disc in my neck as well, back in line 2015. I concur, worst pain I’ve ever had that just lasted forever until I got an epidural to relax the area around it. Was physical therapy from that point on.

Mark is in way better shape and much younger, so if it’s something like that he can probably recover from it but it’s several months not weeks. Isn’t that what Baron Davis and LJ had?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,369

Post#24 » by JDR720 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,252

Post#25 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#26 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:40 pm

JMAC3 wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/injured-reserve/cumulative-team/

3 teams with least games missed are 1,2 seeds in West and 1 seed in East
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#27 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:41 pm

This season doesn't matter anymore in terms of where we land. What the organization needs to pivot to RIGHT NOW is making sure we're setup to be successful in the 2024-25 season. That means selecting our building blocks / core (LaMelo, Miller) and building around them. I'm not even sure I'd consider Mark Williams a core piece right now and you can't consider Miles one until his contract situation is locked in.

That means EVERYONE ELSE needs to be shopped, moved, re-positioned, etc. It's not that the roster is garbage, but the beyond the top 6 it sure is and we're going to be losing Hayward and possibly Miles this summer without a guarantee players of their capabilities are brought in to replace.

Terry Rozier MUST be traded. Hayward MUST be traded. Bring in assets that either give you flexibility to move around during the draft or be contributors next season. If I have to watch one more season of point Terry, a random guard like Ish Smith, JT Thor or Nick Richards playing meaningful minutes I'm going to lose it. As bad as the fans can be, we'd be better off with this team being run by a fan committee than Mitch at this point.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#28 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:48 am

Bryce somehow got himself hurt

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#29 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:47 am

I don't know wtf teams do in practice, but I imagine under Borrego they would just come in, shoot a ton of threes, then call it a day. While Clifford's got them doing intense defensive drills or something... probably why no one can stay healthy or hit threes anymore
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 843

Post#30 » by KingCat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:15 pm

Benjamin Linus wrote:I don't know wtf teams do in practice, but I imagine under Borrego they would just come in, shoot a ton of threes, then call it a day. While Clifford's got them doing intense defensive drills or something... probably why no one can stay healthy or hit threes anymore

I did remember hearing that most teams barely actually scrimmage now a days.

Fellow constant injured team, the Miami heat, are known to push thier players hard to keep them for which is a likely reason for thier injuries. Would make sense if we are in the same boat; sadly ours doesn't come with a quality on court product.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#31 » by GoBobs » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Rich4114 wrote:This season doesn't matter anymore in terms of where we land. What the organization needs to pivot to RIGHT NOW is making sure we're setup to be successful in the 2024-25 season. That means selecting our building blocks / core (LaMelo, Miller) and building around them. I'm not even sure I'd consider Mark Williams a core piece right now and you can't consider Miles one until his contract situation is locked in.

That means EVERYONE ELSE needs to be shopped, moved, re-positioned, etc. It's not that the roster is garbage, but the beyond the top 6 it sure is and we're going to be losing Hayward and possibly Miles this summer without a guarantee players of their capabilities are brought in to replace.

Terry Rozier MUST be traded. Hayward MUST be traded. Bring in assets that either give you flexibility to move around during the draft or be contributors next season. If I have to watch one more season of point Terry, a random guard like Ish Smith, JT Thor or Nick Richards playing meaningful minutes I'm going to lose it. As bad as the fans can be, we'd be better off with this team being run by a fan committee than Mitch at this point.

I get why people want to see a complete tear down of this dumpster fire. Blowing it all up is not a recipe to be good next year though. Going full rebuild means another 2-3 years of being bad. If you want to be good next year you keep Rozier and get rid of the guys who aren't really nba players (Thor, Bryce, Ish, Mensah, Frank)

It is the same ideology as getting rid of Oubre. We are going to give those minutes to younger guys bla bla, we would have more wins if we kept Oubre. Filling your team with to much youth just makes you a farm team. Teams full of young guys don't win.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#32 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm

We don't have a reasonable path to be good next year regardless. We unfortunately have an injury prone core, the only healthy one may leave in free agency, only two decent veterans, one of which is leaving too and the other is a bad fit.

At one point or another, we need to actually pick a direction and stop trying to win with a team that hasn't been capable of winning. We've been doing this for a literal decade.

Whether that means a full tear down or swapping out players (Miles/Gordon/PJ/Rozier etc.) for better fits is yet to be determined.

Obviously upgrading some of our 2nd round picks on the bench will help. But we aren't going from >20 wins to a good team just by swapping out some bench players and hoping the injuries don't kick us in the nuts again.

Our best chance, if not only chance, at being good next year is copying what Houston did. Get a top coach. Get some quality vets who fit with our core and defend. And in our case, hope Melo/Miller/Mark get and stay healthy.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#33 » by fatlever » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:16 pm

Mitch put all his eggs in the draft basket but he missed on too many, made the wrong draft day trades and stubbornly hung on way too long on his draft failures.

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#34 » by JDR720 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:32 pm

The Kai/Thor/Bouknight draft really screwed us. 3 picks. 2 1st round picks, one of which we traded for, and a high 2nd all turning out to be non-NBA players is brutal.

Thankfully this draft seems to be a lot better. Miller is at worst a solid 3&D player. Jr. seems like a microwave scorer. Bailey is doing well in 'Boro and the other guy has good defensive potential and isn't dumb.

We only have 1 pick in the upcoming draft, a top 5 pick at least. We need to nail it whether or not this draft is "weak" or not.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#35 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:39 pm

fatlever wrote:Mitch put all his eggs in the draft basket but he missed on too many, made the wrong draft day trades and stubbornly hung on way too long on his draft failures.

I disagree, Mitch has actually drafted pretty well outside of 1 year. When he picked Bouk at 11 and Kai at 19 which are reasonable picks to not nail every single year.

2018- #12 Bridges- hard to say this wasn't a hit. Outside of suspension been durable, played in all but 18 games minus his suspension.
2019- #12 PJ Washington. Strong rotation piece, hit.
2020- # 3 Lamelo- top 30 player. hit.
2021- #11 Bouknight- miss. #19 Kai- miss
2022 - #15 Mark Williams- starting center outside lottery. Hit
2023- #2 Miller- looks like a hit.

I would say Mitch has missed more in FA and has had an overreliance on 2nd round players instead of finding good players in FA. That has been much more his problem then finding talent in the draft.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#36 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:41 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:Mitch put all his eggs in the draft basket but he missed on too many, made the wrong draft day trades and stubbornly hung on way too long on his draft failures.

I disagree, Mitch has actually drafted pretty well outside of 1 year. When he picked Bouk at 11 and Kai at 19 which are reasonable picks to not nail every single year.

2018- #12 Bridges- hard to say this wasn't a hit. Outside of suspension been durable, played in all but 18 games minus his suspension.

I would say Mitch has missed more in FA and has had an overreliance on 2nd round players instead of finding good players in FA. That has been much more his problem then finding talent in the draft.

Not counting NSj yet. But hitting on 5/7 draft picks is far from devastating.
Big Board
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 843

Post#37 » by KingCat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:28 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Not counting NSj yet. But hitting on 5/7 draft picks is far from devastating.

Gimme a guy that us alright at drafting good young players over a guy that does alright with trades but is historically embarrassing at drafting (Cho). I know having a GM that is atleast OK at both is ideal, but that isn't how Hornets basketball works.

Atleast under Mitch we have a few decent trade pieces if we wanted to do another rebuild (remember how many teams wanted freaking PJ last year). I remember in the Cho era, we had no choice but to be mediocre cause absolutely no one wanted our crap.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#38 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:32 pm

It's not that he hasn't hit on draft picks. It's that he's exclusively tried to build a winning team with them. That can work, but it's highly unlikely unless you hit and have say 3 years in a row picking in the top 3. The good news is we have a #3 and #2 pick on this roster that look like bit hits but it's very early in their careers and they're still developing. What those players need around them, are experienced veterans to help enable them who know how to win by doing the little things necessary. Our veterans are Gordon Hayward and Terry Rozier.

On top of that, we have guys playing out of position regularly. Ish Smith at shooting guard? Terry Rozier at point? JT Thor at center? Losing basketball.

I am in the camp that we do not need to completely blow it up. I would call it a reconfiguration and roster augmentation. The building blocks are here. LaMelo, Miller and Mark won't be going anywhere. Re-Sign Miles. PJ and Cody solid bench pieces. NSJ developing but looks like he can be what Terry really should be off the bench. Now take the rest and move on. Use your MLE. Use free agency. Be savvy with trades. Stop being lethargic. Bring in a modern head coach who won't force his antiquated philosophy on players 4 generations younger than him.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#39 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:34 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Use your MLE.

This. Stop being a pathetic, tight arsed organisation. Does any other team voluntarily NOT use their MLE if they aren't already a second apron team?
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#40 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:30 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:Use your MLE.

This. Stop being a pathetic, tight arsed organisation. Does any other team voluntarily NOT use their MLE if they aren't already a second apron team?

I'm convinced they didn't use it because Mitch was expecting Bryce, Frank, Thor and Richards to be real NBA rotational pieces that help us on the court. He is the only one out there who would've expected that though.

Return to Charlotte Hornets