Woj: Gordo to OKC?

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Re: Woj: Gordo to OKC? 

Post#41 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:33 pm

I like the deal.
Just give me a bunch of dimes for Hayward.
Micic can probably be flipped between now and next years deadline for something, contenders will probably like him.
Feels like the type of deal that 4-5 years from now we are still tracing back picks to what we got for Micic, 2nds, Mann, maybe even we reflip Bertans for more longterm money this summer.

I like the number of options this provides us.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,678

Post#42 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:36 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:So are these guys actually decent depth pieces?

Not really. Just guys better than our rotational pieces which isn't saying much.

All this tells me is we just filled out our roster for next year and we will have just enough money to sign Bridges to a long-term deal.

So essentially we got no vet leader.

Our off-season will be about a new HC and that lottery pick.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#43 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:36 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Seems like the FO is trying to get some cheap young players with upside for next season instead of hoarding the cap space.

Makes sense, the FA class is pretty uninspiring and no one is worth the markup we'd have to pay as a small market team.

I also wonder if Gordo ultimately returns this summer on the cheap, if the earlier reports of his family wanting to stay in the area are true.

So how we changing the culture by adding more young players?

We need a stable vet in the locker room.

As of now both Micic and Bertans are on the books for next season, both of them are in their 30's. Micic was the Euroleague MVP a few years ago.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#44 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:So are these guys actually decent depth pieces?

Not really. Just guys better than our rotational pieces which isn't saying much.

All this tells me is we just filled out our roster for next year and we will have just enough money to sign Bridges to a long-term deal.

So essentially we got no vet leader.

Our off-season will be about a new HC and that lottery pick.

I would assume this is our current rotation after this deal. Obviously more deals and details will change as well.

1 - Micic- Mann- Ish
2 - Martin- NSJ- Bouk
3- Miller- Bryce- (Leaky)
4- Miles- PJ-Bertans
5- Richards- Thor- (Mensah)

Mark, Lamelo still hurt. Waive Lowry, Frank.

Black, Mensah, Baily still on two ways
Big Board
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#45 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:43 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:Seems like the FO is trying to get some cheap young players with upside for next season instead of hoarding the cap space.

Makes sense, the FA class is pretty uninspiring and no one is worth the markup we'd have to pay as a small market team.

I also wonder if Gordo ultimately returns this summer on the cheap, if the earlier reports of his family wanting to stay in the area are true.

The cultural change will have to come from the top first. It's unlikely one or two vets will come swaggering into the current **** show and fixing everyone's attitude.

First step is canning Clifford and replacing him with a coach who won't tolerate half-assing defense and will hold everyone accountable. That will make a significant difference. Melo and the gang have literally never had a coach who did that. Borrego was the parent who can't discipline his kids because that would be too harsh, and Cliff is simply clueless at this stage.

Aside from that I think a few vets on the margins can help the new coach set the standard. Brandon Miller taking on a larger leadership role may also help, but that could also be wishful thinking. I see how much he's bothered by losing, so I'm hoping he can jerk some of the other youngsters out of their complacency.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,713

Post#46 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:44 pm

We just saved the Thunder a ton of money next year gave them a chance to really be aggressive and free agency Plus gave them the better player in the deal for a deep playoff run this year. We took on a bunch of dead money from them. I'd like to think that's worth some decent draft compensation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#47 » by Benjamin Linus » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:44 pm

Bertans doesn’t fit with us. We need to flip him for another player who’s name begins with the letter M
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#48 » by HornetJail » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:46 pm

I like this deal so much more with Micic in it
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,713

Post#49 » by fatlever » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:47 pm

Where is lamar? We finally got a Latvian player. Now we just need to add an Australian.

JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#50 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:48 pm

LofJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

As of now both Micic and Bertans are on the books for next season, both of them are in their 30's. Micic was the Euroleague MVP a few years ago.
Those guys are our leaders? :roll:
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#51 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:49 pm

fatlever wrote:We just saved the Thunder a ton of money next year gave them a chance to really be aggressive and free agency Plus gave them the better player in the deal for a deep playoff run this year. We took on a bunch of dead money from them. I'd like to think that's worth some decent draft compensation.

Yeah either going to be

Micic 7.7+ Bertans 16 + Mann 4.9 = 28.6

More realistically its

Micic 7.7+ Bertans 5.2+ Mann 4.9= 17.8

So we should be getting at least 3 2nds, maybe more. Man if it was a first I would be over moon lol
Big Board
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#52 » by LofJ » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:53 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:So how we changing the culture by adding more young players?

I'm not sure Bertans will be on the roster next year, but I expect Micic will be. If we give him the chance to play he can definitely be a team leader. You don't win an MVP and multiple championships as the main guy if you're not a leader.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#53 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:57 pm

LofJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:

I'm not sure Bertans will be on the roster next year, but I expect Micic will be. If we give him the chance to play he can definitely be a team leader. You don't win an MVP and multiple championships as the main guy if you're not a leader.
Hopefully he can be that guy. Our next HC is going to be really important. We need a HC who will hold players accountable. We can't have guys simply not trying on defense.

I wonder if JVG would be that kind of HC. He hasn't coached in a while maybe he has calmed down a bit.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,206

Post#54 » by SWedd523 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:04 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:So how we changing the culture by adding more young players?

We didn't have any before, so why is there a complaint now?
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#55 » by MugzZo » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:06 pm

Less painful players to watch instead of trotting out ish and mcgowens. Gordon wasn't doing anything, and we have backups for Melo. Mann can see some minutes at the 2 also.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
BMillertheGOAT
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#56 » by BMillertheGOAT » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:13 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
fatlever wrote:We just saved the Thunder a ton of money next year gave them a chance to really be aggressive and free agency Plus gave them the better player in the deal for a deep playoff run this year. We took on a bunch of dead money from them. I'd like to think that's worth some decent draft compensation.

Yeah either going to be

Micic 7.7+ Bertans 16 + Mann 4.9 = 28.6

More realistically its

Micic 7.7+ Bertans 5.2+ Mann 4.9= 17.8

So we should be getting at least 3 2nds, maybe more. Man if it was a first I would be over moon lol

Wasn't Joe Harris expiring traded for just 2 seconds? His salary was 19.9 Million expiring and cost 2 2nds. Not sure how 17.8 Million AND two prospects in Micic/Mann is somehow going to net 3 2nds.

I would be ecstatic if we got that much, but it isn't reasonable to expect 3 2nds.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,705

Post#57 » by yosemiteben » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

LofJ wrote:Me to Presti and the Thunder front office:

Read on Twitter

Not super exciting but better than nothing
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#58 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:09 pm

Wonder if those are the same picks getting sent to Dallas. Which then are sent to Washington lol.
Big Board
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#59 » by Braggins » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:12 pm

fatlever wrote:Thunder are sending guard Vasilije Micic, Davis Bertans, Mann and draft compensation to Hornets as part of the Gordon Hayward deal, sources said.

Now thats more like it. Shaping up to potentially be a great deadline for Charlotte.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,720

Post#60 » by MPM » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:24 pm

Looks like Lowe saying draft compensation is two second round picks.

Return to Charlotte Hornets