Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,712

Re: GT: Charlotte vs Bucks 2/27 8PM EST 

Post#21 » by fatlever » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:32 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
fatlever wrote:give cliff two weeks with his playbook and he can tank any offense with any group of players

That's the funny part. Before they all had time to read the "12 page playbook" the offense looked decisive and fluid. Now it's back to steaming hot trash just with different players. It's what we all knew, the biggest issue is Cliff. Says all of the right things, does all of the wrong ones.
I'm trying to rationalize the past three games as just playing against some good defenses or having a bad stretch of shooting... but you guys tell me how much different the offense looked the first couple of games with the new guys when there was probably no Playbook and guys were just passing and cutting and reacting and there was a lot of motion. And now the past three games it's been back to static motionless ISO nonsense. Is it a random coincidence? Possibly. Is it also possible that Cliff had time to install his offense with the new guys? Maybe. Or egos are starting to set in again and that's leading to more selfish basketball? Or maybe those three games were just a complete outlier of shooting from the entire team including the new guys and this is our actual reality

But definitely something to keep your eye on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,200

Post#22 » by Rich4114 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:39 pm

I think it’s more that Clifford has a vision in his mind on how he wants the offense to work but it can’t be fully executed on the court by these players based on the way other teams play defense.

To me, it’s your classic force players into a system they aren’t good at naturally vs design the system around the players strengths.

Cliff had never been a good X’s and O’s coach. He’s good at stats and understanding the why of things but whatever he tries to do on offense simply does not translate to the court and any players he’s had for a solid decade now.

I know we are missing LaMelo and Mark. That’s a lot of offense but just watch the possessions closely during these games. He has them slow the ball up the court. We don’t cross mid court until it’s just before an 8 second violation. If the first play they hoped for isn’t there, offense is frozen and it results in shot clock violations, grenades, turnovers or a shot with a high degree of difficulty.

And to make matters worse, he’s asking Cody Martin to execute on all of that. At least he’s figured out the rim run play with Nick, but let’s be honest — are you worried about the dynamic duo of Nick Richards and Cody Martin if you’re any other team? Hell no.

Only ~25 more games of this nonsense and then we can see what these players are really capable of under a modern system.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,260

Post#23 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:55 pm

I watched a bit past halftime in this one before even I had to turn it off.

Biggest things that stood out to me were, we got bullied. Giannis and Portis had a mismatch every time down the floor, we couldn't stop them at all and in the 1st quarter it felt like they didn't miss. Dame was in full Allstar game mode.

Meanwhile we were scared of Lopez, didn't challenge him at all and continued to brick 3s all game. until the 4th quarter. We were 4/27 from deep through 3 quarters.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,263

Post#24 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:47 pm

JDR720 wrote:The curse is too strong. 3 games in a row that we can't even score 95pts.

Fate had to put us back in our place. We aren't allowed to have nice things.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 998

Post#25 » by wilson115 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:41 am

Really liking the idea of drafting Sarr after watching this one. Having a guy standing 6'6" at the 4 only works up to a point.

Read on Twitter

Return to Charlotte Hornets