ImageImage

Hornets hire Jeff Peterson as Head of Basketball Ops.

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,296

Re: Hornets hire Jeff Peterson as Head of Basketball Ops. 

Post#41 » by KembaWalker » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:24 pm

I’d be more impressed if they got a guy that was just straight with us. Don’t tell me this is gonna be a premier NBA franchise or some superstar free agent destination. We aren’t stupid

Scouting, health, player development. Removing nepotism. Providing coaches with the resources and assistants they want. Things that are realistic and in their control. Don’t tell me we’re going to be some cutting edge franchise until you’ve established that you can get us to the bare minimum standards of a functional professional organization
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#42 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:29 pm

Wish someone had asked him about the Kenny Atkinson situation and asked how they are going to make sure this is a situation that is attractive to coaches.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,396

Post#43 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:44 pm

In an otherwise uneventful press conference (where media failed to press the owners about free agency spending), the one suprise that stood out was Peterson's inclusion of Miles Bridges with the 3 other core players we hear bandied about by the fanbase - LaMelo, Miller, Mark. I agree he should be included. His paycheck total is secondary to that core status. Let them figure out his market and negotiate a deal that works for all parties.

I was disappointed the media failed to press on the question of Peterson being the only big hire for the front office. Schnall mentioned in passing Peterson's "team". That would've been the time for a follow up question. Is there another shoe to drop on a hire of a GM? Seems the owners don't want to tie themselves to any certainty, hedging against maybe striking out in their search.

Thus far, they've only been able to secure the employment of a 35 year old one of the owners met when Jeff was just 26.
It has been written...
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#44 » by wilson115 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:59 am

Well, I expect the bloodbath to begin sooner rather than later. Mid-season hires don't happen without new ownership wanting to bring in their people (and kick out the old guard) ASAP. Jeff's first job is to be the bearer of bad news.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#45 » by Snidely FC » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:49 pm

"You are going to get sick of me saying this, but we are going to turn this into the premier franchise in the NBA. And there is no hesitation in terms of how we are going to do it. It may take a process, we're not going to skip steps."

New Head of Basketball Operations, Jeff Peterson
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,552

Post#46 » by LofJ » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:01 pm

This is a must listen:

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,204

Post#47 » by SWedd523 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:18 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
"You are going to get sick of me saying this, but we are going to turn this into the premier franchise in the NBA. And there is no hesitation in terms of how we are going to do it. It may take a process, we're not going to skip steps."

New Head of Basketball Operations, Jeff Peterson

Oh no, the "premier franchise" platitudes have already begun
LofJ
RealGM

Post#48 » by LofJ » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:31 pm

Peterson emphasized multiple times that building up his staff will be a priority, saying he's not smart enough to do it all himself.

As someone who's been around both great and terrible leaders the above is a VERY good sign. Great leaders surround themselves with smart, capable, dependable people. I'm looking forward to seeing who gets hired into the organization.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#49 » by LofJ » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:45 pm

Most importantly at the end Woj talked about what the Hornets have been through, accepting the situation, and being okay with losing. Peterson immediately responded that losing will not be tolerated. And that the rest of the season will be an evaluation period.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#50 » by Bassman » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:42 pm

Good listen. WOJ asked good questions, knowing he’s not going to get too deep with Peterson just starting. Reminded me of my first day as a regional GM after climbing the ladder at a Fortune 500 company. There’s all the potential, and plenty of challenges, but it starts and ends with your people. They aren’t going to automatically get in alignment to your goals. You have to build trust, confidence, teamwork and demonstrate leadership. This is why it was so important to make this hire before the end of the season.

Now it’s day 2 (or 3). Speeches are done. Time to work, time to go.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#51 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:47 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Wish someone had asked him about the Kenny Atkinson situation and asked how they are going to make sure this is a situation that is attractive to coaches.

I really don't think that is going to be a problem for any team. There's only 32 NBA head coach positions and each year only a small handful available. It will always be coveted. The Kenny situation I'm sure had a lot to do with the assistants thing, but I think that guy is a straight up weirdo. I still remember him having beef with JB after we beat them in Brooklyn lol.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#52 » by Rich4114 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:53 pm

Bassman wrote:Good listen. WOJ asked good questions, knowing he’s not going to get too deep with Peterson just starting. Reminded me of my first day as a regional GM after climbing the ladder at a Fortune 500 company. There’s all the potential, and plenty of challenges, but it starts and ends with your people. They aren’t going to automatically get in alignment to your goals. You have to build trust, confidence, teamwork and demonstrate leadership. This is why it was so important to make this hire before the end of the season.

Now it’s day 2 (or 3). Speeches are done. Time to work, time to go.

100%, it works exactly like a business. I'm really glad they got it done now instead of in May or something. Will be interesting to see who he recruits to join him and from where.
LofJ
RealGM

Post#53 » by LofJ » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Hire #2

Read on Twitter
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#54 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:01 pm

LofJ wrote:Hire #2

Read on Twitter

Here's the article: https://nypost.com/2024/03/10/sports/nets-losing-another-top-executive-to-hornets/
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,374

Post#55 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:18 pm

The bottom of that article

“I’m so thankful to be able to really have that year with him because I learned [from him]. I can’t tell you how valuable it was just to sit with him and pick his brain, stories he’s told and what he’s seen that’s been successful and what hasn’t been successful. I’m excited to be reunited with Cliff.”

Clifford, 62, said he formed a bond with Peterson in Brooklyn.

“Jeff and I used to golf in Brooklyn,” Clifford said. “We have a comfort level, we spent a lot of time together there. And he’s a talented guy, he’s a good basketball guy. He’s a great hire.”

Gross.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,204

Post#56 » by SWedd523 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:21 pm

Isn't that the dude Peterson was sitting next to during the Nets game?

Maybe they're grooming Cliff for a move to the FO?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,374

Post#57 » by JDR720 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:56 pm

He can be the teams motivational speaker.
lmcguir15
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#58 » by lmcguir15 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:31 pm

JDR720 wrote:The bottom of that article

“I’m so thankful to be able to really have that year with him because I learned [from him]. I can’t tell you how valuable it was just to sit with him and pick his brain, stories he’s told and what he’s seen that’s been successful and what hasn’t been successful. I’m excited to be reunited with Cliff.”

Clifford, 62, said he formed a bond with Peterson in Brooklyn.

“Jeff and I used to golf in Brooklyn,” Clifford said. “We have a comfort level, we spent a lot of time together there. And he’s a talented guy, he’s a good basketball guy. He’s a great hire.”

Gross.

Certainly more worried about the potential of retaining Cliff. Frankly, that's how he keeps getting jobs in the NBA. When you're around long enough, you make a lot of friends. Sure he's a great guy, but his string of HC is played the hell out.
"It's true, you can't lose what you don't put in the middle. But you can't win very much either."
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#59 » by wilson115 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 am

Well, looks like the owners have left the personnel decisions in Peterson's hands. Or at least they're trying to give the impression. Positive sign I hope.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,164

Post#60 » by Snidely FC » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 pm

Return to Charlotte Hornets