EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,551

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#262 » by EmpireFalls » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:15 pm

fatlever wrote:*crickets*

It's been a month

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Might be a good sign as it signals that we’re after guys going on a deep playoff run (Lee, Adelman, Larranaga). And I guess JJ is technically on a deep playoff run as well, just in the commentary box :lol:
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,707

Post#263 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:42 pm

The Kings assistant was hired while they were still in the play in
The suns assistant was hired while they were in the playoffs

I don't necessarily think that we are waiting for the celtics, for example, to be out of the playoffs before we announce Charles lee, if was the guy. If they make it to the finals that can be the middle of June.

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#264 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 pm

fatlever wrote:*crickets*

It's been a month

I feel like there have been a lot of updates, interview announcements, 2nd interview, finalists news... basically everything but the final hire. Seems like we have been pretty transparent and the opposite of crickets to me.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Heelsfan119
Freshman
And1: 50

Post#265 » by Heelsfan119 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

fatlever wrote:The Kings assistant was hired while they were still in the play in
The suns assistant was hired while they were in the playoffs

I don't necessarily think that we are waiting for the celtics, for example, to be out of the playoffs before we announce Charles lee, if was the guy. If they make it to the finals that can be the middle of June.

No, but scheduling interviews can be more challenging while guys are in the playoffs.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,707

Post#266 » by fatlever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm

JMAC3
RealGM

Post#267 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 pm

The coaching stuff is really cherry picking a lot.

Mike Malone was unsuccessful as a headcoach in Sacramento before going to Denver. Despite having 10 years of experience.

Yet when people talk about Jkidd or Nash not lasting in their first job it is positioned as they failed.

JB Bickerstaff got fired 2x in Houston, Memphis before finally finding success in Cleveland. He had 12 years of coaching experience before his first chance.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#268 » by JMAC3 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 pm

JMAC3 wrote:The coaching stuff is really cherry picking a lot.

Mike Malone was unsuccessful as a headcoach in Sacramento before going to Denver. Despite having 10 years of experience.

Yet when people talk about Jkidd or Nash not lasting in their first job it is positioned as they failed.

JB Bickerstaff got fired 2x in Houston, Memphis before finally finding success in Cleveland. He had 12 years of coaching experience before his first chance.

So you have assistants who are just awesome right away like Pop, Spo etc that have 1 job as a HC.
But you have a lot of coaches who failed as a first time coach, now on opportunity 2-3, sometimes 4th different job.
Then you have the vast majority of coaches who were assistants, sucked as headcoaches and never ever got a job again- easily the most common of the group.
Then you have coaches who were never assistants that become HC- which all in all has been just as successful if not more successful then the traditional route.
Big Board
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,942

Post#269 » by Diop » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm

I remember thinking Sacramento were wrong to get rid of Malone. The team seemed to be responding to him
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,554

Post#270 » by Bassman » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:56 pm

fatlever wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/why-jj-reddick-is-too-big-of-a-risk-for-the-charlotte-hornets

opinion piece from plow

Excellent points, and I agree. Too big a risk IMO. Now, what I’d really like to see is Charles Lee as head coach and he hires Reddick as an assistant (if he finds him both worthy and interested). Lee is promising but he should have a senior level assistant with lots of experience as his right hand man. Reddick could be the associate assistant to help develop players, contribute with his strengths and learn the job.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,359

Post#271 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:31 am

JMAC3 wrote:So you have assistants who are just awesome right away like Pop, Spo etc that have 1 job as a HC.
But you have a lot of coaches who failed as a first time coach, now on opportunity 2-3, sometimes 4th different job.
Then you have the vast majority of coaches who were assistants, sucked as headcoaches and never ever got a job again- easily the most common of the group.
Then you have coaches who were never assistants that become HC- which all in all has been just as successful if not more successful then the traditional route.

Your examples aren't anything notable or unusual, of course most assistants who become head coaches end up being fired. There are hundreds of assistants and only 30 HC jobs. Most of which are overturned every few years.

Being a "good" head coach has just as much if not more to do with the front office being good (getting quality players/assets) and those players preforming than anything the coach does. The only current HC that definitely elevates his team is Spolstra. And he was a video analyst before becoming a coach.

So nobody is saying that hiring coaches isn't a crapshoot. At the end of the day, not a single one of us knows anything about coaching NBA teams.

But we can look at a resume and make guesses.

Redick has 0 NBA experience beyond being a player.

Having 0 experience means he is the least qualified candidate we have interest in by default. That's the same way it works for any job at any level.

Nobody says he isn't smart or doesn't know basketball, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good coach or has qualifications. If he wasn't the sensible one on ESPN, would he be on anyone's radar? I doubt it.

The biggest pro on hiring Redick doesn't have to do with coaching, because his coaching is a complete unknown. It's that players seem to like him a lot, so maybe he can help recruiting.

Are we in a position to take a swing on a coach who's best attribute may not even be coaching or player development?

If it works, it'll be the first time this franchise has ever successfully took a swing like that and hit. If it doesn't, then we are the Colts of the NBA (the Colts hired ESPN's Jeff Saturday, a HOF C and longtime player to be coach without any experience, and he was awful and got fired in less than 1 season)
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,296

Post#272 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 am

JDR720 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:So you have assistants who are just awesome right away like Pop, Spo etc that have 1 job as a HC.

Your examples aren't anything notable or unusual, of course most assistants who become head coaches end up being fired. There are hundreds of assistants and only 30 HC jobs. Most of which are overturned every few years.

Being a "good" head coach has just as much if not more to do with the front office being good (getting quality players/assets) and those players preforming than anything the coach does. The only current HC that definitely elevates his team is Spolstra. And he was a video analyst before becoming a coach.

So nobody is saying that hiring coaches isn't a crapshoot. At the end of the day, not a single one of us knows anything about coaching NBA teams.

Having 0 experience means he is the least qualified candidate we have interest in by default. That's the same way it works for any job at any level.

Nobody says he isn't smart or doesn't know basketball, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good coach or has qualifications. If he wasn't the sensible one on ESPN, would he be on anyone's radar? I doubt it.

The biggest pro on hiring Redick doesn't have to do with coaching, because his coaching is a complete unknown. It's that players seem to like him a lot, so maybe he can help recruiting.

Are we in a position to take a swing on a coach who's best attribute may not even be coaching or player development?

If it works, it'll be the first time this franchise has ever successfully took a swing like that and hit. If it doesn't, then we are the Colts of the NBA (the Colts hired ESPN's Jeff Saturday, a HOF C and longtime player to be coach without any experience, and he was awful and got fired in less than 1 season)

Again we hired people with experience in Borrego and Clifford and that got us nowhere
There is nothing that presumes that Lee would be any better at head coaching than Redick
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,359

Post#273 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 am

amcoolio wrote:
Again we hired people with experience in Borrego and Clifford and that got us nowhere
There is nothing that presumes that Lee would be any better at head coaching than Redick

Yeah, I said that coaching is a crapshoot. I didn't say anything about Lee.

I mentioned having a good front office/players is just as if not more important than whoever the coach is too.

Cliff was pretty good when Al Jefferson and Kemba were All-Stars. Borrego did pretty well when Melo/Miles were healthy and we had a top offense. Pretty sure both of them finished top 10 in coach of the year voting too.

And when those things weren't true, they were awful.

The only good teams we've ever had was because we had 2 All-Star level players. Not the coaching.

If Melo/Brandon/Miles/Mark are healthy and progress, we should be a good team no matter who we hire unless the coach is totally incompetent. If they aren't healthy, then we'll continue to be bad no matter who we hire.

Hiring Redick just because he's something different doesn't mean it'll work and it doesn't mean his lack of qualifications don't make it more likely it doesn't.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,942

Post#274 » by Diop » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:33 am

i really didnt hate Borrego, feels like he was the scapegoat for the "culture issue".
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,161

Post#275 » by Snidely FC » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am

This delay feels to me apparent that Lee is the target, with his second interview impeded by playoffs sked
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,232

Post#276 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:45 pm

All our finalists probably said they’ll take the job but only as a backup plan to the Lakers, Suns, Pelicans, Mavericks potential openings. Hell even Boston could probably justify dumping that clown Mazzula if they lose badly in the second round. Might be a long wait
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#277 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:13 pm

JDR720 wrote:

Zero cases actually being made for any of the other assistants, just all negative cases against Redick. Shows how little the majority actually know about these candidates so we are spending all our time looking at wikipedia to see how many years they have been an assistant as the key factor into who would be the best hire.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#278 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:18 pm

Charles Lee has interviewed for Washington job, hired Wes Unseld Jr
interviewed for Pelicans job, hired Willie Green
Also was a candidate for Raptors, Suns and Detroit last year.

If Hornets don't go his direction, that will be 6 teams that have interviewed and chose another candidate over him.
Big Board
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#279 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:25 pm

Lakers are about to fire Darvin Ham, will be another good coach off the market after they hire his replacement.
Big Board
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,198

Post#280 » by Rich4114 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm

Obviously, we're all impatient and have a form of PTSD given our last coaching hire 24 months ago. But I've got to imagine we are making the hire by this weekend. Waiting any longer puts whoever they are considering at risk for the Lakers and potentially Mavs, Suns, etc. as others have mentioned. They're either very unsure of who to hire or have struggled to find someone they unanimously feel good about. I'm also curious as to who is going to be influencing the final decision. Is Cliff involved, for example?

I've warmed up to the JJ idea and I like his personality a lot for this roster. I think he'll connect with the players pretty well. I'm still team Bud of course, but it sure sounds like he's not being seriously considered (or he isn't seriously considering them). Would be interesting to see which openings are out there for certain once the dust settles. If there's only 1-2 including us, that gives us an advantage. Lakers firing Ham seems immanent though.

Return to Charlotte Hornets