New Coach Search Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#301 » by wilson115 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:59 pm

fatlever wrote:
amcoolio wrote:How funny would it be if the Lakers hired a coach before Charlotte

i think that's very realistic, just like 2 years ago.
we had to wait for lakers to pick ham so that we could move forward with the remaining candidates.
it's like day 1 of free agency, everyone waiting to see where the huge superstar signs before the 2nd tier guys get signed.
jj isn't going to agree to coach hornets as long as lakers show interest in him. that gives lee more leverage in negotiations.
my gut says we get neiher jj or lee and end up having to reopen the search. i'd like to be wrong.

Should have fired Clifford earlier.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#302 » by Bassman » Fri May 3, 2024 8:42 pm

wilson115 wrote:
fatlever wrote:
amcoolio wrote:How funny would it be if the Lakers hired a coach before Charlotte

i think that's very realistic, just like 2 years ago.
we had to wait for lakers to pick ham so that we could move forward with the remaining candidates.
it's like day 1 of free agency, everyone waiting to see where the huge superstar signs before the 2nd tier guys get signed.
jj isn't going to agree to coach hornets as long as lakers show interest in him. that gives lee more leverage in negotiations.
my gut says we get neiher jj or lee and end up having to reopen the search. i'd like to be wrong.

Should have fired Clifford earlier.

Remember how I wanted Cliff fired WELL before the end of season? For this very reason. Doesn’t mean you’re going to get the coach you want, but you do get first dibs well before the purges begin.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,711

Post#303 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 9:13 pm

waiting til the end of season to fire clifford was fine... taking 5 weeks to make a hiring decision was always risky because high profile playoff teams that lose might fire coaches, thus complicating the timeline. we didn't learn our lesson last time.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#304 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 9:14 pm

fatlever wrote:waiting til the end of season to fire (let him resign) clifford was fine... taking 5 weeks to make a hiring decision was always risky because high profile playoff teams that lose might fire coaches, thus complicating the timeline. we didn't learn our lesson last time.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,290

Post#305 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 3, 2024 9:23 pm

fatlever wrote:waiting til the end of season to fire clifford was fine... taking 5 weeks to make a hiring decision was always risky because high profile playoff teams that lose might fire coaches, thus complicating the timeline. we didn't learn our lesson last time.

It’s not like the candidates are dumb and don’t have agents and contacts that are well aware of what jobs are coming up from the playoffs. If you close the deal super early you’re probably settling for someone nobody else would want anyway yeah?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#306 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 9:35 pm

how would an agent know 2 weeks ago the lakers would fire ham or that the suns would lose and might need a new coach? or sixers and bucks would lose?
how is it settling if we made an offer last week, for example? we interviewed like 10 guys and identified 2 top targets. makes me think its the candidates that are still deciding, not us.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#307 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 3, 2024 10:04 pm

fatlever wrote:how would an agent know 2 weeks ago the lakers would fire ham or that the suns would lose and might need a new coach? or sixers and bucks would lose?
how is it settling if we made an offer last week, for example? we interviewed like 10 guys and identified 2 top targets. makes me think its the candidates that are still deciding, not us.

You don’t think agents have a fairly strong inkling through their networks of what jobs have a high probability of opening up? That’s pretty much their jobs. It’s not like it’s some out of left field shocker that the Lakers are going to lose to the Nuggets and Hams job is not secure. No agent that knows their guy is coveted enough for a Lakers interview is going to tell them to jump on that Hornets offer ASAP. We’re either the backup plan or taking the guy who nobody else is gonna offer. We aren’t just gonna steal a high profile candidate by being early. That’s just a recipe for getting Atkinson’d anyway.

Speaking of which it’s funny cause if we had hired Atkinson and gone through the same 2 years of injuries and Miles issues and put up these same 20 win seasons everyone would be ready to can him too. And his career would be in the toilet. Instead he’s sitting here and still a top candidate with his choice of interview.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,700

Post#308 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 3, 2024 10:05 pm

fatlever wrote:how would an agent know 2 weeks ago the lakers would fire ham or that the suns would lose and might need a new coach? or sixers and bucks would lose?

The West was a bloodbath with a bunch of teams in win now mode. Inevitably some coaching vacancies were going to emerge for WC playoff teams.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#309 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 10:07 pm

KembaWalker wrote:

You don’t think agents have a fairly strong inkling through their networks of what jobs have a high probability of opening up? That’s pretty much their jobs. It’s not like it’s some out of left field shocker that the Lakers are going to lose to the Nuggets and Hams job is not secure. No agent that knows their guy is coveted enough for a Lakers interview is going to tell them to jump on that Hornets offer ASAP. We’re either the backup plan or taking the guy who nobody else is gonna offer. We aren’t just gonna steal a high profile candidate by being early. That’s just a recipe for getting Atkinson’d anyway.

Speaking of which it’s funny cause if we had hired Atkinson and gone through the same 2 years of injuries and Miles issues and put up these same 20 win seasons everyone would be ready to can him too. And his career would be in the toilet. Instead he’s sitting here and still a top candidate with his choice of interview.
yosemiteben wrote:

The West was a bloodbath with a bunch of teams in win now mode. Inevitably some coaching vacancies were going to emerge for WC playoff teams.
Which is why it would have made sense to try to get a coach locked up before those vacancies became open. I'm not arguing that agents knew that vacancies would be open. But it's a guessing game as to which ones would have been potentially open.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#310 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 10:08 pm

And if there was intel that Darvin ham was on the hot seat again that's all the more reason to try to get a coaching search wrapped up before the Lakers job became available.

KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#311 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 3, 2024 10:13 pm

fatlever wrote:And if there was intel that Darvin ham was on the hot seat again that's all the more reason to try to get a coaching search wrapped up before the Lakers job became available.

I just don’t get what you’re saying, it takes 2 parties to “wrap things up” you either take a guy that doesn’t care about potential playoff vacancies (settling) or you shoot for a top guy that playoff caliber teams might be interested in, and you wait. We have absolutely no leverage to force some league coveted guy to agree to terms with us asap. Our situation is not that enticing lol
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#312 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 3, 2024 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#313 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 11:27 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
fatlever wrote:And if there was intel that Darvin ham was on the hot seat again that's all the more reason to try to get a coaching search wrapped up before the Lakers job became available.

I just don’t get what you’re saying, it takes 2 parties to “wrap things up” you either take a guy that doesn’t care about potential playoff vacancies (settling) or you shoot for a top guy that playoff caliber teams might be interested in, and you wait. We have absolutely no leverage to force some league coveted guy to agree to terms with us asap. Our situation is not that enticing lol

i agree, that's very possible. which is why i said earlier today, it might be lee who is holding things up. but, either you meet his asking price and requirements or move on. maybe thats how redick got added to the mix so late. brooklyn wrapped up their hire in a week, because they were willing to meet the asking price.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#314 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 11:29 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Read on Twitter

lol
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#315 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 11:31 pm

i'll say this... if we offered to lee or redick and are simply waiting on them to agree or we are negotiating, that's one thing. if we are dragging our feet and lose out on our top target to the lakers, that another fail
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#316 » by fatlever » Fri May 3, 2024 11:32 pm

but at this point, we will have to wait on lakers to pick their guy before we can move forward. so it might be another 3-4 weeks.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#317 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 3, 2024 11:41 pm

fatlever wrote:i'll say this... if we offered to lee or redick and are simply waiting on them to agree or we are negotiating, that's one thing. if we are dragging our feet and lose out on our top target to the lakers, that another fail

So the concerning theory is they chose to slow play the hiring for no good reason?

Feels like we can safely eliminate that as an option.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,202

Post#318 » by SWedd523 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:45 pm

fatlever wrote:i'll say this... if we offered to lee or redick and are simply waiting on them to agree or we are negotiating, that's one thing. if we are dragging our feet and lose out on our top target to the lakers, that another fail

Why would there be any reason for the team to drag their feet?

What's far more likely? that they've made an offer and are waiting to hear back or that they have a verbal and are just sitting around waiting?

Don't be Redickulous
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,522

Post#319 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 4, 2024 12:42 am

This board will meltdown when we hire Jerry Stackhouse.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#320 » by fatlever » Sat May 4, 2024 3:21 am

Lots of reasons they could be dragging their feet. Perhaps the front office is split between the two candidates and they're requesting additional follow-up interviews until they all come to a consensus. Perhaps they're dragging their feet but cause they don't want to meet the asking price of salary or assistants.

Return to Charlotte Hornets