Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,663

Re: New Coach Search Thread 

Post#161 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My #1 choice continues to be Ty Lue, need LAC to fall apart against DAL for that to be even potentially viable.

I would be very happy with Bud as well, though I assume he's not interested or we would have heard about it.

After that, it's just whoever, with my only qualifications being no college coaches and no one with zero coaching experience.

Ty Lue isn't getting fired and if he did I am sure he would have 5+ offers, but yes let me go coach the team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs.

I thought LAC chose not to pick up the option on his final season, which made me think there was some smoke to him potentially leaving, but it appears that they actually picked it up so I guess that dream has sailed.

I get that we're not the most attractive option, but that doesn't mean he can't be my dream option.

JMAC3 wrote:Basically seems like most are working off a wish list of coaches that we haven't interviewed, good way to be disppointed when we ultimately hire one of the guys that has actually been reported.

Thanks mom, but I'm pretty good at managing my own disappointment.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,194

Post#162 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My #1 choice continues to be Ty Lue, need LAC to fall apart against DAL for that to be even potentially viable.

I would be very happy with Bud as well, though I assume he's not interested or we would have heard about it.

After that, it's just whoever, with my only qualifications being no college coaches and no one with zero coaching experience.

Ty Lue isn't getting fired and if he did I am sure he would have 5+ offers, but yes let me go coach the team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs.

I thought LAC chose not to pick up the option on his final season, which made me think there was some smoke to him potentially leaving, but it appears that they actually picked it up so I guess that dream has sailed.

I get that we're not the most attractive option, but that doesn't mean he can't be my dream option.

JMAC3 wrote:Basically seems like most are working off a wish list of coaches that we haven't interviewed, good way to be disppointed when we ultimately hire one of the guys that has actually been reported.

We have interviewed like 10 candidates, but hey let's talk about the guys we haven't interviewed. What could go wrong lol.

Anyone have the full list of interviewees at this point?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,663

Post#163 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:10 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

We have interviewed like 10 candidates, but hey let's talk about the guys we haven't interviewed. What could go wrong lol.

Appreciate the moderation, I'll try to not wander off into talking about coaching candidates I would like. Obviously lots could go wrong when I do that.

Any other rules I should be aware of so I can do a better job posting and moderating?
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#164 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:23 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I thought LAC chose not to pick up the option on his final season, which made me think there was some smoke to him potentially leaving, but it appears that they actually picked it up so I guess that dream has sailed.

Appreciate the moderation, I'll try to not wander off into talking about coaching candidates I would like. Obviously lots could go wrong when I do that.

Any other rules I should be aware of so I can do a better job posting and moderating?

We should go get Spo once the heat get swept by Boston.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#165 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:29 pm

In all seriousness,

Here is the current list of candidates linked to us. 9/11 seem to still be possibilities.

Jordi Fernandez- Nets Hired
Kevin Young - BYU Hired
Charles Lee - Boston in Playoffs still
Chris Quinn - Miami in Playoffs still
Jay Larranaga - Clippers in Playoffs still
David Adelman - Denver in Playoffs still
Lindsey Harding- Kings GLeague
JJ Redick - Media Mogul
Jerry Stackhouse - Not currently employed.
Jordan Ott - Lakers in Playoffs still
Royal Ivey - Rockets eliminated
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#166 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 pm

Add Doc Rivers to the list of coaches that were never assistants before being a HC.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#167 » by JMAC3 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 pm

New Hire Coaches in NBA over the last 10-15 yrs. Let's see how many can remember what team they coached lol

Brian Keefe
Nate Bjorkgren
John Beilein
Lloyd Pierce
Ryan Saunders
Jeff Hornacek
Lindsey Hunter
David Blatt
Darko Rajakovic
Adrian Griffin
Stephen Silas
Wes Unseld
Jim Boylen
Igor Kokoskov
Fred Hoilberg
Larry Drew
Vinny Del Negro
Brett Brown
Big Board
NMBSurfin
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#168 » by NMBSurfin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 pm

JJ Redick has no coaching experience at any level. So of course we are considering him.

Read on Twitter
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,257

Post#169 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Literally every coach we have ever hired as the new franchise has had experience and failed us, so it really doesn't matter at this point. Bickerstaff, Vincent, Brown, Silas, Dunlap, Clifford, Borrego...whats the difference
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,438

Post#170 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm

The Hornets just called me about their HC position.

Don't get too excited guys, they told me they're running out of warm bodies to interview so they're randomly robocalling people now.

But in all seriousness, the wide net is not in itself a bad thing but after awhile it begins to look like we don't have much of a plan.

I just really hope we do not hire JJ Redick or Jerry Stackhouse. I am fine with the other candidates floated out so far.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,182

Post#171 » by Rich4114 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:02 pm

I'm going to sign up for the head coaching sweepstakes as well. Wish me luck guys! I promise to not play any MCW or Ish Smith's as long as I'm at the helm. I'm also sending Nick Richards to China or the G league, wherever Jeff will let me.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,034

Post#172 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 pm

amcoolio wrote:Literally every coach we have ever hired as the new franchise has had experience and failed us, so it really doesn't matter at this point. Bickerstaff, Vincent, Brown, Silas, Dunlap, Clifford, Borrego...whats the difference

I'm wondering the same thing. We haven't really had a good HC. Maybe the 90's Hornets had a good HC but I was a kid back then. I didn't start watching until the Paul Silas era.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,187

Post#173 » by SWedd523 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:18 pm

Rich4114 wrote:I'm going to sign up for the head coaching sweepstakes as well. Wish me luck guys! I promise to not play any MCW or Ish Smith's as long as I'm at the helm. I'm also sending Nick Richards to China or the G league, wherever Jeff will let me.

I'll do it for half the current lowest coaching salary

Ass eating negotiable
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 911

Post#174 » by MugzZo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:02 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:I'm going to sign up for the head coaching sweepstakes as well. Wish me luck guys! I promise to not play any MCW or Ish Smith's as long as I'm at the helm. I'm also sending Nick Richards to China or the G league, wherever Jeff will let me.

I'll do it for half the current lowest coaching salary

Ass eating negotiable
That chili hole ain't gonna tongue punch itself. You're hired!

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#175 » by Rich4114 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Literally every coach we have ever hired as the new franchise has had experience and failed us, so it really doesn't matter at this point. Bickerstaff, Vincent, Brown, Silas, Dunlap, Clifford, Borrego...whats the difference

I'm wondering the same thing. We haven't really had a good HC. Maybe the 90's Hornets had a good HC but I was a kid back then. I didn't start watching until the Paul Silas era.

WHICH Paul Silas era? :lol:
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#176 » by Rich4114 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm

This thread went off the rails
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,663

Post#177 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm

My Ranking of Hornets head coaches all time

1. Dave Cowens
2. Allen Bristow
3. Paul Silas part 1
4. Steve Clifford part 1
5. James Borrego
6. Bernie Bickerstaff
7. Steve Clifford part 2
8. Dick Harter
9. Mike Dunlap
10. Gene Littles
11. Sam Vincent
12. Paul Silas part 2
13. Kenny Atkinson
14. Larry Brown

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,663

Post#178 » by fatlever » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=m3U61YAFChapcljCH70Syg&s=19

"JJ Redick has interviewed for the Charlotte Hornets head coaching job, I'm told, he could have another interview soon as well, he's a serious candidate... as well as Charles Lee, the Celtics assistant coach."

This is the first I've seen documented that the interviews are past tense, which is good. I would have expected the interviews to have been happening quietly in the background of these past few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,034

Post#179 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

WHICH Paul Silas era? :lol:
I started watching the Hornets in 98-99.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#180 » by LofJ » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 pm

So Charles Lee and JJ Redick are seemingly the finalists? It could be worse, as fans of this team we know that is always a possibility.

Return to Charlotte Hornets