ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospect: Stephon Castle

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,180

2024 Draft Prospect: Stephon Castle 

Post#1 » by Snidely FC » Tue May 14, 2024 12:15 pm

While we're waiting for the league to "fix" Castle's measurements...

John Hollinger on Castle, who he ranks #2:
For a league where everyone is looking for big, ballhandling wings, teams sure seem to like finding reasons to avoid taking one in the draft. I’ve seen Castle ranked much lower than this on several draft boards, and I’m not sure I get it.

Castle isn’t perfect — questions about his shooting persist — but in this draft, he stands out as a plus defender from day one who also adds secondary ballhandling and creation chops. A 6-6 freshman wing with 6.2 assists per 100 possessions and a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio certainly stands out, especially since he did so for a team that cruised to the national title.

Like Holland above, Castle has high-end possibilities on the defensive end that help provide a solid floor even if he doesn’t hit his offensive ceiling. He was impressive contesting shots at the end of plays and using verticality, although he did foul too much for a perimeter player. In terms of lateral quickness, I wouldn’t quite put him on the top shelf, but he was good — straight-line drives weren’t beating him, but sometimes quick stops and changes of direction got him a step behind.

Getting back to the offense end, the shooting question looms large. Castle's balance and form on his shot varies quite a bit depending on whether he’s shooting off the catch, off the dribble going left or off the dribble going right. At times, his arms look like they’re fighting each other, with the guide hand getting too much in the way.

On the other hand, his size, athleticism and ball skills should allow him to thrive in the more open floor of the NBA, and the more the ball is in his hands, the less of an issue his catch-and-shoot jumper becomes. Even with his issues shooting, Castle made 75.5 percent from the line last season.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5484657/2024/05/13/nba-draft-2024-top-prospects-players-hollinger/
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,180

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect: Stephon Castle 

Post#2 » by Snidely FC » Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 pm

One thing that impresses me about Castle is how he seamlessly fit into a UConn system that most everyone who loves basketball writes paeans to. UConn's offensive sets were many, varied, and sophisticated. Castle, though a freshman, didn't miss a beat.

One of my favorite examples of Castle's role in UConn's smooth choreography:
Read on Twitter

Stephon Castle is about to come off the stagger set by Karaban and Samson Johnson when – wait! – Castle twirls around and sets a screen on Karaban’s man, and he ends up running off Johnson on the initial stagger screen for a wide-open jumper.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/college-basketball-film-breakdown-deep-dive-into-uconns-motion-offense
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 891

Post#3 » by Chapelchilla » Tue May 14, 2024 1:22 pm

Im coming around after watching that and the better shooting yesterday. If he is 6-4" or more and the Frenchies dont drop to 6...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,402

Post#4 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

There is some anti-UConn bias in draft coverage when it comes to fans (of other college squads).

Yes, I'm defensive. Perhaps, overly.

But the elephant in the room is the quest for NCAA glory and superiority.

UConn is chasing history, and (very) recently passed Duke for total championships won. UConn also recently tied UNC who seems to be the darling of the NCAA since MJ attended.

It's earned for the Tarheels.

But UConn has arrived and basketball country has to make room. The program is the current gold standard.

So, thank you Snidely (UNC fan?) and James Plowright (all-around basketball junkie who wishes he were born in thr USA) for the pointed coverage of Castle atop this thread.

The theme I've been highlighting is his playmaking value. Defensive wings typically do not create shots for others nor run offense as secondary playmakers. So much value there. Castle needs to become a respected threat from outside, not a sniper. And the MKG comparisons sound so off base I can't even indulge in those conversations.

The main difference/separation is the ability to make plays with the ball in hand. You can't honestly think back to MKG in these scenarios and equate him to Castle. You couldn't possibly imagine him making plays for others. It was more fans constantly screaming, "Get the ball to MKG!", not the other way around. Fans never expected him to make a good pass, set up a teammate or advance a possession without scoring.

Sucks the NBA is sitting on his actual measurements. I'm bothered by it.

But his playmaking ability puts him squarely at the 2. Longterm he projects as a guard not a straight-line drive (however athletic) wing with tunnel vision, zero dribbling ability, sucky court vision, uncoordinated hands and a clearly broken shot, for 7 years.

I remember prior to the LaMelo draft, someone posted a clip of LaMelo where his 3 form was equated to MKG.

It was a smear.
It has been written...
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,874

Post#5 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:There is some anti-UConn bias in draft coverage when it comes to fans (of other college squads).

UConn is chasing history, and (very) recently passed Duke for total championships won. UConn also recently tied UNC who seems to be the darling of the NCAA since MJ attended.

But UConn has arrived and basketball country has to make room. The program is the current gold standard.

So, thank you Snidely (UNC fan?) and James Plowright (all-around basketball junkie who wishes he were born in thr USA) for the pointed coverage of Castle atop this thread.

The theme I've been highlighting is his playmaking value. Defensive wings typically do not create shots for others nor run offense as secondary playmakers. So much value there. Castle needs to become a respected threat from outside, not a sniper. And the MKG comparisons sound so off base I can't even indulge in those conversations.

The main difference/separation is the ability to make plays with the ball in hand. You can't honestly think back to MKG in these scenarios and equate him to Castle. You couldn't possibly imagine him making plays for others. It was more fans constantly screaming, "Get the ball to MKG!", not the other way around. Fans never expected him to make a good pass, set up a teammate or advance a possession without scoring.

But his playmaking ability puts him squarely at the 2. Longterm he projects as a guard not a straight-line drive (however athletic) wing with tunnel vision, zero dribbling ability, sucky court vision, uncoordinated hands and a clearly broken shot, for 7 years.

I remember prior to the LaMelo draft, someone posted a clip of LaMelo where his 3 form was equated to MKG.

It was a smear.

Hesitancy around a UConn guard this time around could have something to do with a certain hyped UConn guard we took in the 2021 lottery… what was his name again? James or something. Can’t remember now, it’ll come to me.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#6 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 2:02 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:There is some anti-UConn bias in draft coverage when it comes to fans (of other college squads).

It was a smear.

Hesitancy around a UConn guard this time around could have something to do with a certain hyped UConn guard we took in the 2021 lottery… what was his name again? James or something. Can’t remember now, it’ll come to me.

A UConn icon happens to stand atop the all-time scoring list for our franchise. You might expect some amnesty here.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#7 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 2:03 pm

So don't get me started on Kemba. I will launch a Kemba Walker / UConn appreciation week for Hornets Twitter.
It has been written...
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,734

Post#8 » by yosemiteben » Tue May 14, 2024 2:04 pm

I don't give two **** what school any prospect went to, other than being annoyed when other people put a thumb on the scale because of it. Includes but not limited to UConn prospects.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#9 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:13 pm

My big board hasn't really changed.
1. Topic
2. Holland
3. Sarr
4. Risacher
5. Castle

So if Castle is the highest ranked guy on the clock at 6. Sure let's snatch him up.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#10 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:17 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I don't give two **** what school any prospect went to, other than being annoyed when other people put a thumb on the scale because of it. Includes but not limited to UConn prospects.

Same. Zero **** whatsoever, especially now with kids transferring 3 or 6 times before they finish their college time
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,557

Post#11 » by LofJ » Tue May 14, 2024 3:18 pm

I'm all in on Holland and to a slightly lesser extent (depending on measurements) Castle. We desperately need a POA wing defender that will move the ball and find a way to contribute where they can on offense type of player. I don't think it's a stretch to envision either of them filling that role. I don't want to take a guy like Sheppard, Williams, Clingan (if Mark is healthy), etc. where we don't have a clear role for them.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#12 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Things can change, but it seems like 80% chance Castle is still on the board when we pick. I feel like that makes him an easy candidate to fall in love with because very little chance some other team snatches him first like a Risacher, Topic or Holland might be.. are we all falling in love with him because of the safety or we think he is actually the best option?
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,874

Post#13 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:A UConn icon happens to stand atop the all-time scoring list for our franchise. You might expect some amnesty here.

Of course. Kemba will always be first in my Charlotte heart (Crash #2, Al Jefferson #3)

Anyways, Bouknight the prospect was great and I’d draft him again 10 out of 10 times. We couldn’t have predicted that he was a dangerously immature kid who wouldn’t take anything seriously. And of course Castle is a Champion and bought into the team immediately, he has almost zero chances of being mentally unstable like Bouk.

Btw, I think the comparison for him is Bruce Brown, not MKG.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#14 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 4:21 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:A UConn icon happens to stand atop the all-time scoring list for our franchise. You might expect some amnesty here.

Of course. Kemba will always be first in my Charlotte heart (Crash #2, Al Jefferson #3)

Anyways, Bouknight the prospect was great and I’d draft him again 10 out of 10 times. We couldn’t have predicted that he was a dangerously immature kid who wouldn’t take anything seriously. And of course Castle is a Champion and bought into the team immediately, he has almost zero chances of being mentally unstable like Bouk.

Btw, I think the comparison for him is Bruce Brown, not MKG.

Man, Bouknight broke my heart. But UConn has been good to the Hornets.

And you're right, huge difference in both IQ and prep between Castle and Bouknight.

One of my favorite parts about the reboot is cutting ties with failed low IQ prospects and players and ushering in higher IQ.

That higher IQ can accompany any age, though it's rarely seen in younger players and far more challenging to project given limited experience.

Castle makes consistently good decisions on both ends of the basketball court. You'd either have to be a Huskies fan to appreciate it or watch sufficient tape to detect the patterns he established at UConn.

He's cerebral, and even commands the pace of a game with his dribble. Kemba arrived with just one gear. It took him years to learn how to adjust and dictate the pace and flow of a game. Castle makes the right plays at the precise moment your team needs them. He literally shifts momentum.

And you have to love that he played within a system and sacrificed numbers for wins. He invested in team basketball and his draft stock held or rose.

He's a team player, another rarity with younger players looking to make their mark.

When I saw Hollinger cop to Holland succumbing to tunnel vision and isolation basketball, well, it makes me think his learning curve will be slow and painful. It takes players like him longer to adjust typically if they try to do things alone.

Bouknight was actually an accomplished isolation scorer at UConn. But he was literally the only one who touched the ball. He was in on every possession, just like Hollinger notes with Holland (blames failed/less competent teammates).

How is Holland #1 for Hollinger and Castle #2 when one leans more on isolation and the other sacrificed for the betterment of the team?

It's one difference between college and Gleague. There's accountability to learn and play winning team basketball in the NCAA, especially UConn and especially recently.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#15 » by MasterIchiro » Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm

That said, his core value is his tenacity and talent on the defensive end. His defense is special.
It has been written...
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,732

Post#16 » by fatlever » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm

I'm fine with castle. And a draft this crappy just go ahead and take the dude with an elite skill that fits a need. I don't think you have to get a starter out of this draft. Even if this is just Cody Martin insurance/replacement.

I would have preferred we draft a big just because we are kind of loaded with smaller players on the roster at the moment.

The castle at least appears to be a pretty safe bet to be at worst a solid role player. And we all know we need more dudes with his kind of hustle and mentality on this squad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,997

Post#17 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:16 pm

If Castle checks out as 6'4 or taller he's easily #1 on my board based on where we are picking.

Coach Lee mentioned defense, physical/mental toughness and Castle brings that along with a high basketball IQ. He's a piece that will bring a different mentality to the team. Grant has it now it's time to add another like minded player. That's how you change the mentality of the team. Of course everyone wants someone who can score and shoot, but this team isn't going anywhere until we start playing defense.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,224

Post#18 » by SWedd523 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 pm

fatlever wrote:I'm fine with castle. And a draft this crappy just go ahead and take the dude with an elite skill that fits a need. I don't think you have to get a starter out of this draft. Even if this is just Cody Martin insurance/replacement.

I would have preferred we draft a big just because we are kind of loaded with smaller players on the roster at the moment.

The castle at least appears to be a pretty safe bet to be at worst a solid role player. And we all know we need more dudes with his kind of hustle and mentality on this squad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I can see the logic behind thinking Castle could be a better (healthier) Martin, which is a pretty great piece on the random weekend most guys are healthy.

I think Holland makes more sense if you want to swing for upside, but Castle probably has a higher floor
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#19 » by JMAC3 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:45 pm

Here is where I am with Castle... I feel like the convo has been the same with him for the past 30 days... low usage on a good team, defensive fit between Melo and Miller, if his shooting gets better then this/that.

I think what would actually help me... is you guys @Master ichiro and @JustBuzzing give me 6 examples each of players that you think Castle is similar to in the NBA. 2 That are stretch goals (allstar) 2 that are solid starters and then 2 that are his low end outcome.

I can put together a database similar to what I did last year with Miller that included guys like Tatum, Ingram, PG, Cam Johnson, Wiggins, Josh Jackson and Jarrett Culver..

Then we can see how Castle compares on the spectrum per game, per 40 etc and see if there are actual connections to him being similar.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,372

Post#20 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 pm

Probably need this guy so we don’t have to rely on Cody Martin

Return to Charlotte Hornets