Alexis Ajinca workout

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,655

Re: Alexis Ajinca workout 

Post#21 » by fatlever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:14 pm

LB didnt get a pick only to have that player sit in europe for a year. ajinca will be here next year.
Felton for Pres
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Felton for Pres » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 pm

While I hope you are right, he is technically next years pick. I don't think next years draft is expected to be as deep, so getting Ajinca at 20 this year might be like getting him at 5 next year.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#23 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm

French English lesson 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3OHzVcGHmGc

It's actually an interview from a work out for Jazz. He says he had limited minutes this season. I really think he won't return to France. My bet is that Larry will keep him close to him to ensure his development will go the right way.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#24 » by W_HAMILTON » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 pm

Hmm.

Are we sure he wouldn't be able to play PF?

Looking at some of his videos, he looks like he could. He looks like he could hang with a lot of PFs (maybe not the SF turned PFs), and the few true PFs that could drive past him, his size + huge wingspan could still end up blocking some of their shots.

I wonder if they view him and Okafor as interchangeable PF/C types? Meaning, one or the other could switch up whether they are defending PFs or Cs depending on how the opposing team matches up.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,655

Post#25 » by fatlever » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm

i absolutely think ajinca could play pf with okafor and him interchangeable.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#26 » by W_HAMILTON » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm

If so, that makes the pick even better. He looks a lot like Aldridge (maybe it's just a facial thing). But he looks to be at least as quick as Okafor, if not slightly quicker. While that might not be good enough, he's much taller, and has a huge wingspan, so even if someone does beat him, he might could make up for it by still contesting their shot. I saw in a few of his videos that he did this sort of thing.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#27 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:46 pm

Well, Ham you are a little bit delayed these days, you didn't used to be.
Why do you think me, fat and others who actually like the pick like him?
Yes he can and that's what makes him special (i'm going to find hios measurements, there are not much pfs with such a standing reach). He will player further from basket than his big man fellow (no matter if Okafor or Mohammed is on court with him in the stretch) leaving Emeka to do what he can really do. I think that's why we drafted him, being on our roster I will consider him as a PF.
W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#28 » by W_HAMILTON » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Well, I only cared about the top prospects, since we only recently got a later pick where we could take some of those guys around the latter part of the first round. I figured we wouldn't draft any of them at #9, so either we wouldn't get to draft them, or we'd draft them with our 2nd round pick, which I don't usually care much for.

So, that's why it's all new to me :) I didn't think we would be in a position to draft him, so I didn't look into him much predraft.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#29 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:59 pm

So long as he is as physical as Okafor (on the defensive end) and not timid (like Davidson) then I think that Fats and W_Hamilton make good points - and I am a big LMA fan so if Ajinca turns out like him.........good golly miss molly!!
Badd_Intentions
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#30 » by Badd_Intentions » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Glad to know we thought so highly of him.

I think alot are upset b/c he is not known and the history that we've seen so many Internationals bust. Ajinca is a good looking prospect. I wouldn't look much into his numbers in the Euro league, in only 12 mins per game. I know I was hoping for a guy that would come in and help right away, but I'm not mad at the pick if they think he can fill out a little more and live up to his potential. How old is he? under 20 right?
doc.end
General Manager

Post#31 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:15 pm

12 minutes in french league, he played even less in euroleague.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#32 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:17 pm

W_HAMILTON wrote:Well, I only cared about the top prospects, since we only recently got a later pick where we could take some of those guys around the latter part of the first round. I figured we wouldn't draft any of them at #9, so either we wouldn't get to draft them, or we'd draft them with our 2nd round pick, which I don't usually care much for.

So, that's why it's all new to me :) I didn't think we would be in a position to draft him, so I didn't look into him much predraft.

Ah come one Ham, you were even surprised that No. 8 Alexander is not black... You didn't care much, did you? :wink:
doc.end
General Manager

Post#33 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 pm

W_HAMILTON
RealGM

Post#34 » by W_HAMILTON » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 pm

I only care about the players I want the team to draft :)

I'm still surprised about Alexander. Everyone talked about him jumping up the charts, and how we seriously underrated him in our votes; I figured he was like a forward version of Westbrook.

Then I see he's a white guy......oh, God no. I don't care how high he can jump. Woe are all the teams that drafted all these white guys. Here's hoping at least one of them turns in the next Mike Miller. It's been a long-time coming.
Badd_Intentions
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#35 » by Badd_Intentions » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 pm

doc.end wrote:12 minutes in french league, he played even less in euroleague.

Ok, yea i meant french league, I dont think those leagues play the young guys so much though.
Hopefully he gets to join us immediately. The kid can really hit mid-range shots. Which is what we were missing. I hope he plays with passion.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#36 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 pm

I'd like to revise my post earlier in this thread. Ajinca is far from a "not a terrible pick" type player. I loved what I saw in the Bobcat.com workout video, of the big guys we brought in he looked as skilled (or more) than Hibbert and was the most athletic. Watching his workout that CarolinaCash posted was awesome! He's money from 15-20 feet, great compliment to Okafor/Mohammed. He's a higher upside version of Davidson.

DO NOT LEAVE HIM IN THE FRENCH LEAGUE!!
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#37 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Badd_Intentions wrote:
doc.end wrote:12 minutes in french league, he played even less in euroleague.

Ok, yea i meant french league, I dont think those leagues play the young guys so much though.
Hopefully he gets to join us immediately. The kid can really hit mid-range shots. Which is what we were missing. I hope he plays with passion.

I don't think his team was a euroleague one. ULEB cup maybe. In the Utah Jazz interview he mentions that he showed he had the talent and skill to play more minutes, but he wanted to go to the nba because he wasn't going to get it. Seeing Kosta and Arthur available at the 20 but not knowing about Kosta's likelihood to play in Europe and Arthur's kidney issue (which might explain why he only got 24mpg--if we think he has injury concerns we should avoid him; yes, I'm looking at you McMay.)

The kid has passion. He's coachable. I'm on the bandwaggon.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#38 » by doc.end » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:08 pm

I just saw EURO in "laegue" column on his profile on DX so I thought that means euroleague and wasn't even thinking about it. You caught me, thanks for correcting me. 1:1 :)
e4Nf6
Starter
And1: 1

Post#39 » by e4Nf6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 pm

So I went looking for more info... I was looking for the French Realgm.com......

Here is what I found:
http://www.basketinforum.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

if anyone's French (or Babelfish) skills are better than mine, please have a go.

Some interesting things...

First of all, predictably everyone loves him, thinks he'll be a superstar. It seems a foregone conclusion that he will play next year for the cats. He is quoted as saying he will play in the NBDL before he plays in France.

Some other interesting quotes:

- " Je pourrai peut-être avoir des minutes dès l'an prochain."

"I might get minutes next year"

-"Je pense qu'on est un peu comme du bétail. Ça se passe comme ça aussi dans les work-out. C'est les Etats-Unis"

(answereing a question on the Por-Hou trade) "I think it's a bit like how they treat cattle, the work-outs were the same way, it's the United states."
=/∞
e4Nf6
Starter
And1: 1

Post#40 » by e4Nf6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 pm

One more thing......

According to various Bios, Ajinca was a serious BMX rider(Driver? wtf do you call them?) and in fact was Champion of France, Champion of Europe, and Co-Champion of the World?!?!?!?!

/Not making this up
=/∞

Return to Charlotte Hornets