ImageImage

okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,829

Re: okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged) 

Post#501 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:58 am

The "long shots" criticism doesn't apply when you shoot 40% from 3. That's enough points per shot to make up for the increased offensive opportunity for the other team off the misses.

As for never knowing what you are going to get, that's called being a shooting guard. People used to say that on the Warriors board when he was there, but if you actually looked at the data he was the most consistent player we had. For some reason, people perceive shooters as being inconsistent in general.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#502 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Yea... everyone here LOVED Jrich until we traded him. This board is infested with that type of gang mentality.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,707

Post#503 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 pm

jrich was a nice player. he was decent. hell of a shooter. seemed like a good guy. but he wasnt the player his stats would indicate. people see his numbers and think 20ppg 5rpg. wow. but jrich was nothing more than a complimentary player. he is not a go-to scorer. he is not a facilitator on offense and was just barely average on defense. he's perfect for a team that just needs some outside shooting, dunks and a good guy to mesh into an already good team. might even be better as a 6th man type. i mean, can you really afford to play shooting guard 40mpg when that shooting guard, doesnt create off the dribble, doenst create for others and doesnt lock down other shooting guards on defense?
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#504 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Yes.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#505 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:33 pm

I still miss jrich. Love diaw and bell ... but jrich was a nice player.

His biggest problem here wasn't his defense or the ability to create his own shot. It's that he wasn't a Larry Brown type player. With another coach and a different front office he could have been a better fit.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
thruthefire
Head Coach
And1: 600

Post#506 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:Yes.

I agree. fatlever, I don't think Bell fits any of those categories, but everyone's fine with him being our starting shooting guard. Granted he isn't playing 40 minutes a game, but he's still up there. And going off my feel-o-meter, I think J-Rich created a lot more off the dribble than Bell did this past season.

I actually thought J-Rich was our most consistent player in his first season here, and it wasn't even close. Yeah, he started off iffy, but when he got it going, he never let up.
Humble yourself.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,829

Post#507 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm

fatlever wrote:jrich was nothing more than a complimentary player.

Right. Within that framework, he played well. A bit overpaid, but in the end the contract didn't stop you from moving him for decent pieces.
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#508 » by Battery » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:Yea... everyone here LOVED Jrich until we traded him.

:noway:
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#509 » by Battery » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 pm

floppymoose wrote:The "long shots" criticism doesn't apply when you shoot 40% from 3. That's enough points per shot to make up for the increased offensive opportunity for the other team off the misses.

As for never knowing what you are going to get, that's called being a shooting guard. People used to say that on the Warriors board when he was there, but if you actually looked at the data he was the most consistent player we had. For some reason, people perceive shooters as being inconsistent in general.

Half the games he shot less than 40%. Also, "long shots" doesn't have to mean 3 pointers. Chucking up a barrage of shots right in front of the 3 point line creates the same long rebound effect which he would do a lot. And since JRich wasn't the greatest at getting back on defense, yeah, I would say his shooting hurt us more often than it helped it us.

Just because JRich was the most consistent player the Warriors had, doesn't mean anything. Well actually it means the rest of your team is not that good. No wait, didn't they become a much better team once he left?
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#510 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 pm

The Warriors beat the Mavericks in the playoffs with J-Rich. They haven't made it back without him.
Humble yourself.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#511 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Battery wrote:

Please come harder than this. Your trollbait is weak.

Everyone was posting about how all we needed was a pf or for May to come back healthy/in shape because we finally had our go-to swingman.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#512 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:22 pm

J-Rich's shooting hurt us more than it helped us? This is just like the Okafor is addition by subtraction crap. :lol:
Humble yourself.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#513 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:48 pm

thruthefire wrote:

I agree. fatlever, I don't think Bell fits any of those categories, but everyone's fine with him being our starting shooting guard. Granted he isn't playing 40 minutes a game, but he's still up there. And going off my feel-o-meter, I think J-Rich created a lot more off the dribble than Bell did this past season.

I actually thought J-Rich was our most consistent player in his first season here, and it wasn't even close. Yeah, he started off iffy, but when he got it going, he never let up.

bell does fit one category... he is a great defender.
catsandheels
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#514 » by catsandheels » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 pm

J-rich was only good offensivly and athletic were bell can play good D and still shoot good numbers for us and he is more of a team player than J-rich ever was.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#515 » by doc.end » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Walt Cronkite wrote:
Battery wrote:

Please come harder than this. Your trollbait is weak.

Everyone was posting about how all we needed was a pf or for May to come back healthy/in shape because we finally had our go-to swingman.

Walt something died inside of you. It is not like this board has to be in consensus all the time.

Opinions changes, players changes. We loved him here but we were getting nowhere (mostly becuase of The Idiot). We were enthusiastic and tried to be positive. Trade shocked us and some brought up interesting reasons why J-Rich was traded (his performance in 4th quaters etc.). And his rest of season in Phoenix didn't really make him better in our eyes, including those drivning incidents.

I can fully respect that someone don't like him as a player much now. It was nice to have him here but since then we realized some issues of his play and I'm not sure I would want him back especially as a core piece.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#516 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:58 pm

i dont even understand why we are arguing this... i think 95% of us agree that trading jrich for boris and raja was a good trade. its nothing against jrich. he's a decent player, but i like getting 2 decent players for the price of one.

ive said this since the times i used to watch a ton of warriors games.... jrich doesnt make his teammates better and he doesnt lock down other sgs. he is not a go to guy, but he was getting paid go-to money. there are much better ways to spend 11 million dollars than on a average starting sg.

yeah, we suck so jrich was our best player under vincent. yay. jrich will never be the best player on a playoff team. period. its not a dis, just reality. when he is your best player you in trouble. it would have been great to have the luxury of a guy like jrich as your 4th best player, but there arent many teams that can afford to pay their 4th best player 11 mil.

nice guy, hard worker, good teammate, average starting sg.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#517 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 pm

fatlever wrote:
thruthefire wrote:

bell does fit one category... he is a great defender.

But not a lockdown defender. :wink:

For all his grit and toughness, Raja's lack of athleticism certainly hurts him at times. I remember this past season in a game @ Washington, he got absolutely abused by Nick Young. In one play, Young took him baseline and dunked on him. However, when Felton was on Young, he didn't do anything.
Humble yourself.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#518 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm not arguing against the trade, I'm arguing against the idea that we didn't think Jrich was the **** when he was here. Specifically, I'm pissy about Battery's post because it was totally pointless and provided absolutely nothing, which I guess isn't that surprising.

I'm going into the archives.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#519 » by thruthefire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 pm

I don't think we can do it right now, but I would trade Bell and Henderson to get J-Rich back. Personally, I think a team can get to the playoffs with him as their best player, just as long as your next couple are very close. Not sure that he was our best player, though. And if he was, Wallace and Okafor were a very, very close 2nd and 3rd.
Humble yourself.
catsandheels
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#520 » by catsandheels » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 pm

thruthefire wrote:I don't think we can do it right now, but I would trade Bell and Henderson to get J-Rich back.

but if rich got hurt then we wouldnt have a good backup 2 unless we signed iverson or someone

Return to Charlotte Hornets