ImageImage

okafor/chandler - share your thoughts (merged)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Re: Okafor for Chandler rumors 

Post#81 » by Walt Cronkite » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Mek's gonna lead the league in dunks next year, Hornets will be a top 4 team in the West and everyone will talk about how stupid we are... yay...
Kevlo_911
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#82 » by Kevlo_911 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Even if you guys were to sign AI, why get rid of Okafor?
thruthefire
Head Coach
And1: 600

Post#83 » by thruthefire » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm

LB's a douche bag.
Humble yourself.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#84 » by thruthefire » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Kevlo_911 wrote:Even if you guys were to sign AI, why get rid of Okafor?

Because we're the Charlotte Bobcats?
Humble yourself.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#85 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm

What is MJ doing to your team.. someone get him out of there.
If it's a swap ur getting ripped off.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#86 » by Ben » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Why, why, why, why????? The Bulls would have given you a much better deal for Okafor... at least, if I were GM. :banghead:
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#87 » by BigSlam » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:31 pm

It shows you how far off fans are when they are talking about the trade value of their players.

A lot of us were saying we would do Okafor for Marc Gasol and the 2nd overall pick from the draft (Harden). Based on an Okafor for Chandler straight swap, it's pretty easy to see EO50's value isn't as high as we - and other fans based on this thread - might have thought.
B B M F 'ers
ccbballin
Senior
And1: 1

Post#88 » by ccbballin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Went to post a ? on the NOH board they've only had 4 posts on this topic, wow! Maybe someone here can help.

How does TC's offensive skills compare to Okafor's and does he have fumblitis the way Okafor has had?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#89 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Chandler has no handles, no post game, no nothing.

Your getting Samuel Dalembert without the Trade Kicker.

Which pisses me off, he'd be so much more attractive without the TK.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#90 » by Walt Cronkite » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Chandler has a crazy high to rate.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#91 » by Paydro70 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Slam... no way. There is just no possible way that this is the best deal we could get for Okafor. What's the downside? That he has a long-term deal? Like the Thunder wouldn't be interested? We couldn't even get straight-up expirings and a pick, we have to take Chandler back? This is indefensible, I'm sorry.

I hated the Ammo pick. Hated it. But it wasn't a reach at the time, and I thought there was a chance he could be an OK player.

I hated the Ajinca pick/trade. Hated it. But at least there's still a shot he contributes.

I hated the JRich trade... though less than the other two. But I acknowledged from the jump that IFFF we were getting the old, good Diaw, then it was a fair deal. Thankfully it happened, and I was proven wrong.

This is on a whole other level for me. Everyone, literally everyone, on all 3 threads (here, Trades board, General board) finds this trade completely incomprehensible, laughable, lopsided, or some combination of the three.

Now... amcoolio is correct, it's not finalized yet, we don't know what else might be involved. My initial reactions are still based on 1-for-1 swap, but it would become considerably less bad if we pick up a big expiring or a pick, or both.
Bowser
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#92 » by Bowser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 pm

at least the football's only a month away.
Fred Williamson
Lead Assistant
And1: 517

Post#93 » by Fred Williamson » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:42 pm

It's still not official.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#94 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:43 pm

sorry to break this to you bobcat fans.....

Associated Press says the trade is Chandler for Okafor straight up and will be announced tomorrow:

And it adds this:

"Chandler's shorter contract could help the Bobcats get long-term salary-cap relief and lower payroll for owner Bob Johnson, who is looking to sell the team after deep financial losses."
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#95 » by dmutombo321 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:48 pm

BigSlam wrote:It shows you how far off fans are when they are talking about the trade value of their players.

A lot of us were saying we would do Okafor for Marc Gasol and the 2nd overall pick from the draft (Harden). Based on an Okafor for Chandler straight swap, it's pretty easy to see EO50's value isn't as high as we - and other fans based on this thread - might have thought.

I do agree with the notion concerning value perception. But this is a horrendous trade anyway you cut it.

Chandler is a lesser player, period. And he's injury prone. If the main consideration was cutting salary, there would have been alot better ways to do it.

As someone mentioned earlier, Houston is absolutely desperate for a big with yao out and Tmac's 20 million is just sitting there for the taking. It expires a year sooner also.
thruthefire
Head Coach

Post#96 » by thruthefire » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 pm

Why sign Okafor to a six-year deal if you're going to dump him for cap space and an inferior player just a year later?

And why bring in Gana Diop? My God, I can't stand being a Bobcats' fan.
Humble yourself.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#97 » by Benjamin Linus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 pm

True. I mean I'm still trying to reserve full judgment until this deal is completely finalized and all the details are ironed out. But I can't help but to also question, if we are primary looking to the future by dealing Okafor then why did we draft Henderson over guys like Clark or Holiday?
chabber
Veteran
And1: 826

Post#98 » by chabber » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm

I just hate getting made to look like tools in our deals. Value wise the only thing wrong with Mek is how much he'll be overpaid in the later years of his contract. If we're looking to move him I can think of far better options out there. Chandler's value has got to be at an all time low. There is no way this should be a 1 for 1 swap. Utterly ridiculous.

Now with that said. If this was Chandler from two years ago I'd have no problem with this deal. He's taller, longer and rebounds/defends close enough that the contract difference is enough to make the swap for me.

Either way if this deal goes down, having CP3 to get Emeka the ball and create openings along with West to spread the floor playing in the high post is going to open things up for him big time. He's going to have a superb season in New Orleans if this goes down which will make this deal look even worse.
ccbballin
Senior
And1: 1

Post#99 » by ccbballin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:54 pm

McFurious1 wrote:sorry to break this to you bobcat fans.....

Associated Press says the trade is Chandler for Okafor straight up and will be announced tomorrow:

And it adds this:

"Chandler's shorter contract could help the Bobcats get long-term salary-cap relief and lower payroll for owner Bob Johnson, who is looking to sell the team after deep financial losses."

If it means new ownership then I'm all for it but how does it make the team anymore attractive to a potential buyer. It's two more years at more cost with a less talented player.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#100 » by arh1109 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Wow just saw this, I'm shocked but not shocked at the same time. Our front office is constantly erasing moves that we just made a season before. I do think Okafor was holding us back but c'mon he just signed a FAT contract, can't expect him to have a breakout season. So much for being the Bobcats franchise player.

Return to Charlotte Hornets