2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (CLE WINS 4-3)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
14%
Cavs in 6
24%
Cavs in 7
14%
Magic in 4
2%
Magic in 5
2%
Magic in 6
25%
Magic in 7
15%

Total votes: 283

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1681 » by basketballRob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 pm

Whoever wins game 5 usually wins the series.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,873

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#1682 » by JJ_PR » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 pm

The Magic are a very nice squad. They have two legit stars in Paolo & Franz and surrounded them with solid role players.

Weirdly enough, they would've benefited from drafting Gradey Dick instead of Jett Howard. They could certainly use his shooting and the Anthony Black, Gradey Dick ordeal would've been hilarious.

I still have faith in my Cavs. They just didn't play with confidence, but if they get that confidence back, they will be in the second round.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,096

Post#1683 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 pm

JJ_PR wrote:The Magic are a very nice squad. They have two legit stars in Paolo & Franz and surrounded them with solid role players.

Weirdly enough, they would've benefited from drafting Gradey Dick instead of Jett Howard. They could certainly use his shooting and the Anthony Black, Gradey Dick ordeal would've been hilarious.

I still have faith in my Cavs. They just didn't play with confidence, but if they get that confidence back, they will be in the second round.

Not if you're a Magic fan and had to hear those jokes everyday :lol:

The FO felt like Howard has a higher ceiling, and he projects to be a great shooter. He was shooting like 38% from 3 on near 10 threes per game in the g-league. Howard will get playing time next season, and we will see if they made the right choice.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,322

Post#1684 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:To be clear, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose. The fact of the matter is, Orlando did not once lead at any point in games one and two. Cleveland can at least say they did at Orlando, hell they had the lead going into the half.

As long as Cleveland’s still got homecourt, there’s no reason to panic.

It’s a completely different game than G1/G2.

Mosley adjusted. Swapped Isaac w/ Carter in the starting lineup.

Also as Keith Smith also mentioned, the Magic have brought their screeners for Paolo Banchero & Franz Wagner up close to halfcourt. It's causing the Cavs to defend in a lot of space and Orlando is starting to get downhill off those screens.

Orlando has now found their shooting rhythm.

Chess not checkers. Playoffs are all about the small adjustments and it seems as Mosley is winning in that matchup.

That’s great and all, but we saw how Orlando shoots on the road. They’re going to have to find a way to overcome that. It’s definitely possible, but as I said, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose.
I can appreciate the confidence but it is not at all warranted after getting spanked by 38 points and 23 points in a 44 hour period.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1685 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:16 am

Hopefully, the Cavs fans will behave in Cleveland. Stories are going around about how some of the Magic fans were treated at the games up there. I don't think it's helpful for them to rile the crowd up against the Wagners because they went to Michigan. One fan got ejected for taunting Franz in game 2. They were posting Michigan on the scoreboard every time Moe checked in.

Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,104

Post#1686 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:17 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
It’s a completely different game than G1/G2.

Mosley adjusted. Swapped Isaac w/ Carter in the starting lineup.

Also as Keith Smith also mentioned, the Magic have brought their screeners for Paolo Banchero & Franz Wagner up close to halfcourt. It's causing the Cavs to defend in a lot of space and Orlando is starting to get downhill off those screens.

Orlando has now found their shooting rhythm.

Chess not checkers. Playoffs are all about the small adjustments and it seems as Mosley is winning in that matchup.

That’s great and all, but we saw how Orlando shoots on the road. They’re going to have to find a way to overcome that. It’s definitely possible, but as I said, this is still Cleveland’s series to lose.
I can appreciate the confidence but it is not at all warranted after getting spanked by 38 points and 23 points in a 44 hour period.

Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home. I have every reason right now to believe Cleveland will take game 5 in the same fashion they did in games 1 and 2. Granted, they have some issues to figure out (they’ve lost out on their major rebounding advantage after Orlando shifted WCJ back to the starting unit), but tad long as Orlando can’t find their shooting, they’re going to continue to have the same issues as before. I could absolutely be wrong, but still.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1687 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Cleveland was clearly better at home. Orlando was clearly better at home. I have every reason right now to believe Cleveland will take game 5 in the same fashion they did in games 1 and 2. Granted, they have some issues to figure out (they’ve lost out on their major rebounding advantage after Orlando shifted WCJ back to the starting unit), but tad long as Orlando can’t find their shooting, they’re going to continue to have the same issues as before. I could absolutely be wrong, but still.
After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

jb needs to make adjustments and he's not going to.

Mosely has at minimum made 3 adjustments in this series and none of em really that complex. Swapping a guy into his starting 5, starting the PnR action higher on offense, and switching the PnR coverage on defense.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#1688 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I can appreciate the confidence but it is not at all warranted after getting spanked by 38 points and 23 points in a 44 hour period.

Mosely has at minimum made 3 adjustments in this series and none of em really that complex. Swapping a guy into his starting 5, starting the PnR action higher on offense, and switching the PnR coverage on defense.

Your point is valid… but again, Orlando just hasn’t been a good road team this year. I trust Cleveland’s play more than them to get the job done on their home turf.

Let me be clear: I kind of want to be wrong. Before, I would have been extremely upset if we were a first round exit again. But the more I think about it, the more I’m starting to realize that in order for us to truly go somewhere and fully utilize the great talents we do have, it has to be abundantly clear to the people in charge that the way we are running things just isn’t working and that serious changes need to be made.

The Knicks series gave us an easy out. There’s no excuses here if we lose to Orlando.

But again, I just don’t see them being this good on the road, where they have been pathetic.

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Post#1689 » by RookieStar » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 am

Wow. Props to my team. They made 1 more win than i had hoped for this POs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,442

Post#1690 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 am

basketballRob wrote:If the Cavs go down 3-2, I think Dean Wade will play.

I think the team quits on JBB if they lose at home so I'd hope that the front office steps in and says no at that point. Also, this isn't a situation where he's been practicing and is almost there.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1691 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 am

jbk1234 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If the Cavs go down 3-2, I think Dean Wade will play.

I think the team quits on JBB if they lose at home so I'd hope that the front office steps in and says no at that point. Also, this isn't a situation where he's been practicing and is almost there.
I don't think they anticipated the Magic giving them a series. I know Cleveland wasn't healthy in the games that we played this year, but Isaac missed 3, Fultz missed 4, and Gary Harris missed 2.

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1692 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Your point is valid… but again, Orlando just hasn’t been a good road team this year. I trust Cleveland’s play more than them to get the job done on their home turf.

Let me be clear: I kind of want to be wrong. Before, I would have been extremely upset if we were a first round exit again. But the more I think about it, the more I’m starting to realize that in order for us to truly go somewhere and fully utilize the great talents we do have, it has to be abundantly clear to the people in charge that the way we are running things just isn’t working and that serious changes need to be made.

The Knicks series gave us an easy out. There’s no excuses here if we lose to Orlando.

But again, I just don’t see them being this good on the road, where they have been pathetic.
I honestly don't even think a series loss forces a head coach change. Koby is too comfortable in his job, he has no reason to fire jb.

Literally Gilbert will have to step in and clear house, starting with Koby and jb. And I'm not sure Gilbert cares all that much since his stroke and his son passing.

I think win or lose the series, the Cavs are stuck with jb the wet paper bag.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#1693 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:After the 2 beat downs i think you are absolutely wrong.

I honestly don't even think a series loss forces a head coach change. Koby is too comfortable in his job, he has no reason to fire jb.

Literally Gilbert will have to step in and clear house, starting with Koby and jb. And I'm not sure Gilbert cares all that much since his stroke and his son passing.

I think win or lose the series, the Cavs are stuck with jb the wet paper bag.

There’s no way JB stays. Cleveland has a history of firing head coaches pretty frequently. It’s honestly shocking JB has been around this long, but it makes sense considering how Cleveland’s improvement started under him.

firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,058

Post#1694 » by firedavidkahn » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:03 am

I haven't seen a single second of this series but what the heck is up with Cleveland's offense?

THey haven't even broken 100 points in any game so far and below 90 twice.

More Magic playing great defense or CLeveland just sucking?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,516

Post#1695 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:11 am

The Cavs have a Mobley problem.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,170

Post#1696 » by MagicMatic » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 am

firedavidkahn wrote:I haven't seen a single second of this series but what the heck is up with Cleveland's offense?

yes.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,181

Post#1697 » by durden_tyler » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

"The Most Boring Series of the First Round" a.k.a. Orlando vs Cleveland might be the only one going full seven games.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1698 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:59 am

MagicMatic wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:I haven't seen a single second of this series but what the heck is up with Cleveland's offense?

yes.
Hahaha i was gonna say a bit of both but it's the same thing from the Knicks series last year and the play-in fiasco of 2022.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#1699 » by SS_MagicMark » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 am

basketballRob wrote:Hopefully, the Cavs fans will behave in Cleveland. Stories are going around about how some of the Magic fans were treated at the games up there. I don't think it's helpful for them to rile the crowd up against the Wagners because they went to Michigan. One fan got ejected for taunting Franz in game 2. They were posting Michigan on the scoreboard every time Moe checked in.

Do they heckle LeVert, too?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,029

Post#1700 » by SOUL » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 am

eyriq wrote:The Cavs have a Mobley problem.

I don't think it's Mobley specific but they really needed Dean Wade in this series to pull whoever we have at PF out. All of their PF options right now are too small so that it may get punished defensively without an obvious offensive upside yet. Will be interesting to see what they do to counter it.

Right now with Isaac back to the bench, the Magic seem willing to let JA/Mobley get some inside shots over WCJ/Moe with less resistance, as long as we're blitzing Mitchell/Garland and not letting Strus get easy open looks. So our 1-4 are able to switch and play aggressive very freely in both lineups now with Isaac unleashed at the 4 and our rebounding being improved a bit too.

Return to The General Board