Mat Ishbia doesn't sound very bright

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,697

Re: Mat Ishbia doesn't sound very bright 

Post#61 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:57 pm

TwitterFingers wrote:I think he’s making the point that fans overrate the value of draft picks, to which he’s right

Tell that to OKC, SA, Denver, Minnesota, Milwaukee, GS, Boston, Dallas, Cleveland and Orlando.

All of the teams the best teams recently were built through the draft. The ones that traded all their picks for stars haven't done so well (Lakers, Clippers, Suns) and even a team like the Nets who signed stars in FA and traded their draft picks like Jarrett Allen and some others to add Harden, failed.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,697

Post#62 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::falloff:

:rofl2:

He didn't even just say team, he said their draft picks for the Suns as well.. I think there might be a couple...teams in similar situations...maybe CA teams, but probably not even them..they have better role players and more picks I think. All the young bad teams that have all their picks, no way. There might be none.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,988

Post#63 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 3, 2024 11:20 pm

Ambrose wrote:
_jin wrote:They have draft picks but they'll probably lose them in 2 years considering their horrible cap situation so they'll be worth a 2nd round pick. And that's not even the worst quote from that article. He thinks they're in a great position. The delusion is off the charts.

"Let's be real -- ask the other 29 GMs [in the NBA], 26 of them would trade their whole team for our whole team and our draft picks as is," Ishbia said. "The house is not on fire. We're in a great position. It's not hard to fix. We have enough talent to win a championship."

I'm not sure 15 teams would trade situations. Let alone 26.

That 26 number jumped out at me too.

Teams that so obviously wouldn't that his claim is crazy:
-- Denver
-- Boston
-- Minnesota
-- OKC
-- San Antonio

As for which teams would -- I can't name any true playoff (as opposed to play-in) team that would actually want to swap, even the other aging ones like the Clippers or Milwaukee. So your view sounds a lot more sensible than his.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,171

Post#64 » by _jin » Fri May 3, 2024 11:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
_jin wrote:They have draft picks but they'll probably lose them in 2 years considering their horrible cap situation so they'll be worth a 2nd round pick. And that's not even the worst quote from that article. He thinks they're in a great position. The delusion is off the charts.

"Let's be real -- ask the other 29 GMs [in the NBA], 26 of them would trade their whole team for our whole team and our draft picks as is," Ishbia said. "The house is not on fire. We're in a great position. It's not hard to fix. We have enough talent to win a championship."

Yeah, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Starting with the KD trade he started to make me worried, and it's only gotten worse from there, and his comments after getting embarrassingly eliminated are absurd.

The Suns hadn't been swept in a 7 game series since 1989, and that was in the WCF to the championship Lakers with MVP Magic..in KJ's 2nd year.

They had never been swept in a 7 game series in the first round.

Just over a year at the helm and already making history 8-)
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,065

Post#65 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 4, 2024 12:58 am

I'm not surprised realgm is dead wrong about the Suns. They ARE in an enviable position. There are only a handful of teams in the NBA that have two legit stars. They still have first round picks coming to them in 24, 26, 28, and 30 and they have a first in this year's draft and 2031 they can use to help facilitate trades if they go that route. And they have an owner willing to spend. You people are acting like the cupboard is completely bare. I'd wait to bury them until we see how they conduct business this offseason.

If they keep this core together or make moves on the fringes this should remain a playoff team. And that's really all owners really care about since it brings in playoff money which helps keep the franchise in the black for the year while in the meantime the value of the franchise climbs year after year. There's only ever 3-5 championship caliber teams each season. Clutching pearls because the Suns aren't one of them while dismissing the other 25 teams that aren't either seems laughable. Where's all the consternation about all these other franchises? Why are the Suns held to a higher standard or expectation?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,219

Post#66 » by Calvin Klein » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 am

He is Kendall Roy.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#67 » by meekrab » Sat May 4, 2024 1:19 am

Do the Suns have fans? I don't really understand who's living in hellhole Phoenix and attending NBA games?
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,382

Post#68 » by CS707 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:32 am

“Fans think”.

18 months ago he was a fan.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,446

Post#69 » by brutalitops » Sat May 4, 2024 1:37 am

Does OP want him to come out and say "Yeah we ****, better go support another team!"
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,026

Post#70 » by Johnny Fontane » Sat May 4, 2024 1:43 am

This guys an idiot. Suns fans will get tired of this guy VERY quickly
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,298

Post#71 » by Dacost » Sat May 4, 2024 2:30 am

This is a interesting case study of a franchise that went years with the cheapest owner in all sports and now have a guy who is blindly expending every single asset avaliable.

A few years ago this was the right call but now with the new CBA in my opinion the house is on fire.

Return to The General Board