Donovan Mitchell Scores 50 Points and Cavs Still Lose

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,086

Re: Donovan Mitchell Scores 50 Points and Cavs Still Lose 

Post#61 » by Wingy » Sat May 4, 2024 12:04 pm

Rishkar wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:He scored 50 points. How can you guys fault him for that? He had the hot hand and he was very efficient.

Because this is a pattern from Mitchell. He's a great individual talent, but he never elevated a teams offense or makes people around him better. Pretty awful as a passer, defender, rebounder, and leader. I always feel guilty about the haul Cleveland gave us for him

A well off man’s version of Zach Lavine that has been backed by defensive ace big men his whole career, and that don’t cry for the ball most of his career (Rudy finally did). So he can get away with his style of play and win some. In worse situations, I’d guess he’s closer to getting the ‘loser’ label that’s applied to a guy like Lavine.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,860

Post#62 » by DowJones » Sat May 4, 2024 12:09 pm

Rendei wrote:Garland was awful down the stretch in this game. Turning the ball over, missing shots, falling asleep on defense, not getting the ball across halfcourt in time. It was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play.

Which is crazy because he was very good for the first 3 quarters. I said this all playoffs--Darius Garland needs to be better. He can't just disappear. Mitchell is banged up. Allen is out. Mobley was limping around. The Cavs desperately needed 30+ from him--or at least a 30+ aggressive mindset. He just disappeared in that 4th quarter.

Garland committing an 8 second violation is maddening on so many levels for me. Anyone that has watched the Cavs this year knows how many times Darius has flirted with that call. I don't know what his thought process is on that. Not only are you flirting with a turnover when you slowly walk the ball up the court, you give the defense all the time in the world to get set and by the time you actually get into your offense there is only 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,865

Post#63 » by Roger Murdock » Sat May 4, 2024 12:13 pm

afarmenian wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:Cleveland signed shooters this past offseason, and none of them have contributed anything in this series.

Our Achilles heel vs. the Knicks last year was spacing..

This is simply not true and gets repeated ad nausem. It was a combo of shooting and being totally out physically challenged which is happening again. Outside of Mobley and Allen they are significantly undersized injury prone and generally weak at all other positions. They addressed half of the problem in theory and completely ignored arguably the bigger flaw

Ive posted several clips of last years Knicks series. We lost on scheme last year where bigs rotated away from the basket leaving Levert and Garland to contain Mitchell Robinson on the boards.

GIve this team Coach Bud and they are in the ECF
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#64 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:15 pm

Wingy wrote:
Rishkar wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:He scored 50 points. How can you guys fault him for that? He had the hot hand and he was very efficient.

Because this is a pattern from Mitchell. He's a great individual talent, but he never elevated a teams offense or makes people around him better. Pretty awful as a passer, defender, rebounder, and leader. I always feel guilty about the haul Cleveland gave us for him

A well off man’s version of Zach Lavine that has been backed by defensive ace big men his whole career, and that don’t cry for the ball most of his career (Rudy finally did). So he can get away with his style of play and win some. In worse situations, I’d guess he’s closer to getting the ‘loser’ label that’s applied to a guy like Lavine.

Lavine gets more s*** than his game warrants and he'd be an amazing 3rd option on a team like LAL, but Mitchell is a level above Zach. A higher level shot creator, a better defender, and more of a playmaker. Spida's closer to Booker than Lavine...and with that kind of a player how good they are is kind of pivotal in determining the kind of role that archetype should be given.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,337

Post#65 » by pilkoids » Sat May 4, 2024 12:16 pm

With less than 3 minutes left in the game Darius Garland had a backcourt violation. Don't think i've ever seen that in a game 6 playoff game
Wingy
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wingy » Sat May 4, 2024 12:19 pm

cgf wrote:Lavine gets more s*** than his game warrants and he'd be an amazing 3rd option on a team like LAL, but Mitchell is a level above Zach. A higher level shot creator, a better defender, and more of a playmaker. Spida's closer to Booker than Lavine...and with that kind of a player how good they are is kind of pivotal in determining the kind of role that archetype should be given.

Thus the “well off man’s version of” precursor.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,323

Post#67 » by Iwasawitness » Sat May 4, 2024 12:20 pm

Rishkar wrote:

Tell us you haven’t been watching Cleveland this year without telling us you haven’t been watching Cleveland this year. Mitchell is actually a very good passer and defensively he’s actually been very good.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,323

Post#68 » by Iwasawitness » Sat May 4, 2024 12:23 pm

Mobley is actually a big reason this game was close in the first place but people are going to blindly look at the stats and think he’s at fault.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
cgf
RealGM

Post#69 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:23 pm

Wingy wrote:
cgf wrote:Lavine gets more s*** than his game warrants and he'd be an amazing 3rd option on a team like LAL, but Mitchell is a level above Zach. A higher level shot creator, a better defender, and more of a playmaker. Spida's closer to Booker than Lavine...and with that kind of a player how good they are is kind of pivotal in determining the kind of role that archetype should be given.

Thus the “well off man’s version of” precursor.

Yeah, but that's kind of key with this type of player. Kobe & Wade were also "well off man's versions of" Lavine, as was Jordan...while on the other end of the spectrum you get your Dion Waiters & Ricky Davises. With this archetype how good you are at the scoring part is crucial to determining whether you're a winning or losing player.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,150

Post#70 » by axeman23 » Sat May 4, 2024 12:34 pm

Pointgod wrote:I’m not going to blame the guy who dropped 50 on high efficiency and had an all around game. You might want to look to the disappointment that’s Evan Mobley. My man scored 3 points in 30 plus minutes. This is why Mitchell is as good as gone.

Of course Mobley only got 3 points, he only got 5 shots mostly on contested 2nd shot attempts. Hard to get in any kind of rhythm when the only way to get the ball out of your guard's hands is to knock him out and take it... Mitchell wants his bigs to be garbagemen who defend, rebound and give him the ball, nothing more. :dontknow: He pissed Gobert off, just like he'll piss of Mobley and Allen, if he hasn't already. And no, neither Mobley or Allen are Hakeem with a thousand moves and counters, but they're more then they're allowed to be when the shutter come down over Mitchell's eyes.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,966

Post#71 » by Memories » Sat May 4, 2024 12:48 pm

The biggest question mark this team had when they got Mitchell was how would they fit?

Talent wise: Finals contenders. Fit and chemistry? A small backcourt with two guards who need the ball in their hands to be the most effective, and two big men who play close to the rim on offense, and a bunch of duds at the small forward position.

Even if the Cavs win game 7, they will in all likely hood get wrecked in the 2nd round. The front office needs to start asking and answering the hard questions: what kind of team are they trying to win with here? And how they can fix the lineup without a good small forward and questionable fitting pieces? And if they do decide to make trades, who's it gonna be? Garland? Mobley? Mitchell if they don't think he will re-sign?
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,966

Post#72 » by Memories » Sat May 4, 2024 12:52 pm

While it is difficult to put much blame on Mitchell considering his scoring output, my BIGGEST FEAR when the Cavs got Mitchell was that Mobley's development would get stunted due to Mitchell needing the ball in his hands all the time and Mobley getting less shots.

People are going to look at Mobley only having 3 points, but he only shot 5 times. How are you supposed to do much else when you don't get much chances to score? Mobley looked like a future superstar until Mitchell came over. He might be great, but it definitely hurt Mobley's development a lot, Mitchell wants to play with big men who just want to do the dirty work or space the floor. That's why Jarrett Allen is fine, but if the Cavs plan on trying to keep Mitchell around longer than next year, then Mobley has to go. For both his sake and the Cavs.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,441

Post#73 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 1:20 pm

Mad Guru wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
basketballRob wrote:That guy has been blaming the refs and injuries the whole series.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The reffing has been awful, take off the blue tinted glasses.

The Cavs had 66 points in the paint tonight and took a grand total of 10 free throws... Vs the Magic who could only muster a measly 38 points in the paint yet were awarded 26 free throws, it is honestly comical.

You are a complete homer bro, you are unable to analyze this series without extreme bias.

You spent half the game thread trying to justify playing Morris when he was a complete embarrassment on the court, and definitely should not have been out there.
The alternative is 6'4" Okoro, homie, as a Magic fan I'm sure you would love that.

But Okoro got tuned up for 39 one game prior and is scared to shoot on the other end.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,960

Re: Donovan Mitchell Scores 50 Points (Franchise Record) and Cavs Still Lose 

Post#74 » by RHODEY » Sat May 4, 2024 1:22 pm

chilluminati wrote:Trade one of Mobley or Allen and commit to a better offense. Go get a floor spacing big or a high volume SF.

Mobley has the physical presence of a twelve year old....I'd move him first.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,118

Re: Donovan Mitchell Scores 50 Points (Franchise Record) and Cavs Still Lose 

Post#75 » by Exp0sed » Sat May 4, 2024 1:29 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:
DowJones wrote:The team lacks coaching. The offense is terrible. Just 4 guys sitting around watching Donovan limp around. No movement and the 2 guards just wait until there is 10 seconds left before anything gets going.

The Cavs have talent, they just have no offensive structure at all. There is no urgency.

Seriously. Like great performance by Mitchell but watching great team offenses like say the Pacers or even Knicks (who spread the ball around) - and then watching the Cavs tonight is night & day. It's partly coaching, partly the front office. I mean they seriously are playing guys like Niang and Morris minutes in a playoff game. But it's coaching also - run screens with Mobley, post Mobley up and he can find cutters, diversify somehow.
Coaching is an issue for sure, Bickerstaff should have been fired after last season. Team construction is obviously an issue, as others have said but the part about Niang and Morris isn't it, both played more because of an injury to a starter and most playoff teams (even some contenders like the Nugget) have comparable players at the 8-10 range, on the bench and are also giving meaningful mins to such players.

Edit:
The Nba is just stacked rn, some really great teams at the top and in the middle. Ppl have not been paying attention to the Magic this season. Yes,theyre young but that's a heck of a team and it's a team whose strengths line up very well with playoff basketball

This Magic team would be competetive vs. anyone in a 7 game series

Cavs have a very good team with alot of very good players but they don't have enough top end talent so it is what it is..
RealGM mobile app
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,222

Post#76 » by kenwood3333 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:34 pm

The Magic did a good job of shutting down the other Cavs players and dare Mitchell to beat them by himself.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wingy » Sat May 4, 2024 1:52 pm

cgf wrote:Yeah, but that's kind of key with this type of player. Kobe & Wade were also "well off man's versions of" Lavine, as was Jordan...while on the other end of the spectrum you get your Dion Waiters & Ricky Davises. With this archetype how good you are at the scoring part is crucial to determining whether you're a winning or losing player.

Nah, now Kobe, Wade, and obviously Jordan are on completely different levels compared to Lavine. “Well off” doesn’t do it enough justice. Jordan would be the Jeff Bezos version of Lavine, Kobe/Wade like the Musk. :lol:

I think there’s definitely clear daylight between Mitchell and Lavine, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think it’s this massive gap people proclaim it to be. Give Don a “rim protector” like Vucebrick, and a ball dominant, mid-range clogging non-3pt shooter like DeRozan, an “PF” like Javonte Green, and let’s see how it works in terms of playoff success. Or a young KAT/young Wiggins. A young Wendell Carter/young Lauri (who doesn’t have everything built around him). I don’t think he’s carrying these guys much farther than Lavine. Teammates and situation play A LOT into players’ career narratives.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#78 » by tooler » Sat May 4, 2024 1:55 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:The Magic did a good job of shutting down the other Cavs players and dare Mitchell to beat them by himself.

In prior games they had been getting killed by rotating to help and setting up an easy pass for a dunk by one of the bigs. It was a classic defensive gameplan to let one guy score and stay home on everyone else so they can't get in rhythm.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,441

Post#79 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 2:04 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:Now... What do they need to do?

Similar to what i said last night in the team forum.

I would hit the soft reset.

Fire jb, fire Koby Altman and get a new voice and direction in there.

I would trade Allen (value at an all-time high), if Mitchell declines to extend, trade him.

From there trade LeVert, Niang (if possible, i doubt it) and trade Ty Jerome.

If i could sign and trade Okoro i would, otherwise let him get an offer sheet and walk.

TT, Morris, and Jones can all retire.

I'm up in the air on Wade and Merrill but think i would trade em as sweeteners for Niang. Wade could also help match salary in bigger deals.

That would leave Garland, Mobley, and Strus. I would probably move Strus to the bench. Then at pick #20 take the best big wing on the board.
cgf
RealGM

Post#80 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 2:05 pm

Wingy wrote:
cgf wrote:Yeah, but that's kind of key with this type of player. Kobe & Wade were also "well off man's versions of" Lavine, as was Jordan...while on the other end of the spectrum you get your Dion Waiters & Ricky Davises. With this archetype how good you are at the scoring part is crucial to determining whether you're a winning or losing player.

Nah, now Kobe, Wade, and obviously Jordan are on completely different levels compared to Lavine. “Well off” doesn’t do it enough justice. Jordan would be the Jeff Bezos version of Lavine, Kobe/Wade like the Musk. :lol:

I think there’s definitely clear daylight between Mitchell and Lavine, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think it’s this massive gap people proclaim it to be. Give Don a rim protector like Vucebrick, and a ball dominant, mid-range clogging non-3pt shooter like DeRozan, an PF like Javonte Green, and let’s see how it works in terms of playoff success. Or a young KAT/young Wiggins. A young Wendell Carter/young Lauri (who doesn’t have everything built around him). I don’t think he’s carrying these guys much farther than Lavine. Teammates and situation play A LOT into players’ career narratives.

I definitely agree that supporting casts are important and Lavine would be perceived very differently if he hadn't spent most of his career as his team's best player / not having a starter-level PG. Before his injury this season, I was terrified that the Lakers would pick him up for pennies and Zach would just give their offense exactly what it's lacking alongside LeBron & AD.

But I also think Mitchell is on a completely different level from Zach, especially in crunch time. Lavine's under-rated but he makes awful decisions if you give him the ball late in games. Spida OTOH can be your closer, and that makes a huge difference. It's why last season I suggested a multi team deal that would've sent the Cavs Lavine + Anunoby for Mitchell and I still think that the gap between the two is an elite supporting piece like OG.

Return to The General Board