Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,587

Re: Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension 

Post#81 » by DaPessimist » Tue May 7, 2024 12:44 am

Kidd might be my favorite player of all-time... but I don't think he's a great coach.

That said, the Mavs defense has improved dramatically over the course of the year, and that should probably be attributed to Kidd. Also, the offense is essentially Luka just running the show, so I'm not sure the Mavs really need a great offensive coach.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#82 » by HMFFL » Tue May 7, 2024 12:50 am

Mavrelous wrote:He was a foot and half out of the door in January, even team media were criticizing him, just bad management all around...
Sadly, our options are limited, and they're not many Coaches that are that good. Starting fresh right now doesn't make the most sense to me even if Jason Kids hasn't been great.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,899

Post#83 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 7, 2024 12:53 am

DaPessimist wrote:Kidd might be my favorite player of all-time... but I don't think he's a great coach.

That said, the Mavs defense has improved dramatically over the course of the year, and that should probably be attributed to Kidd. Also, the offense is essentially Luka just running the show, so I'm not sure the Mavs really need a great offensive coach.

That would be fine but, and I'm beating a dead horse here, that Game 4 decision in the 4th quarter that I believe cost his team a win by making Maxi the center benching the other two centers and Harden scored the most points in his career in the paint in a quarter. I would like to think most coaches would have made an adjustment but from Kidd he stuck to it and did nothing the entire quarter. He also started Maxi during the season after we got Gafford and we lost 6 of 7, then Gafford started and we won I think 16 of 18, and I believe the only reason he made the change was due to a Maxi injury. He tried to go small in other games and we got cooked every time I remember watching it, like when we had a 13 point lead on Denver in the 4th quarer and it evaporated very quickly. Sometimes I feel like a random realgm poster could make better decisions than him as far as rotation.

I'm not trying to say Maxi didn't have a role, but it should be as a PF not a center. He's out now this series so he can't go there right now.
xb3at band1tx
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#84 » by xb3at band1tx » Tue May 7, 2024 12:57 am

Did not like Ham but would've hated the Lakers replacing him with Kidd.

Good news for Lakers fans
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 7, 2024 12:58 am

xb3at band1tx wrote:Did not like Ham but would've hated the Lakers replacing him with Kidd.

Good news for Lakers fans

His rotations would make Lebron lose his mind about a week into the season. He would be an awful fit there.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,448

Post#86 » by robbie84 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:12 am

UcanUwill wrote:
CoP wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.

You can't compare the perimeter defense of the Celtics to the Mavs. Personnel matters. The Mavs have Luka and Kyrie. They are ok when they put in effort. The Celtics have two of the best perimeter D guards in the league.

I dont think there is a coach who can turn any Mavs guard into Jrue Holiday, its a pretty ridiculous expectation. I am not necessarily defend Kidd, but it seems like players under him play up to their strengths, Luka and Irving doing what they know best, and there were thousands of scenarios were that fit fails completely, Gafford making 20 field goals in a row, NCAA roleplayer from last year looks great, even Exum found a place. For what it has, I am not sure you can blame coaching for not at least utilizing the talent.

I replied to another similar comment so I'll copy paste because it's the same idea...

It's not just about the caliber of defender, it's about the effort and the basic coaching to get these guys to understand what to do on the weak side when you send a trap or a double at the Clippers ball handlers. It's about giving Gafford basic fundamental guidelines for cutting off the baseline and forcing Zubac to come back into the help defender. There is simply ZERO defensive urgency on Kidd's part- and even with these guys who are average/below average defenders, they could be making opponents work much harder for buckets and take harder, contested shots with some slight adjustments.
There is really poor effort on the defensive end and that comes from a lack of discipline from Kidd- the dude is simply an AWFUL defensive coach and his offense is carried by two absolutely elite offensive players. What does the guy do as a coach that makes these guys better? An AAU coach could teach these guys better defense in all seriousness.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,985

Post#87 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 7, 2024 1:14 am

Stability is a real thing, that doesn't get talked about enough.

Can't keep changing coaches.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#88 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 8, 2024 10:40 am

No idea why they didn't wait ten days. It's not like he would've got crazy expensive because he won a series against the thunder.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 8, 2024 3:21 pm

There's heavy ties in the Mavs organization. Nico Harrison the GM has known Kyrie since he was a teenager because they were together at Nike, Nico also has been friends with Kidd for a very long time. This is how the Mavs run on friendships, it's not about winning first. Carlisle was friends with Donnie Nelson the former GM since they were kids. The only time they fired a coach under Cuban was Avery Johnson because they had Carlisle sitting there to replace him. The reason Carlisle left was not so much Luka like many think but they fired his friend Donnie for reporting that his nephew got sexually assaulted by Cuban's friend.

As a lifetime Mavs fan I have no qualms in saying they're a bottom tier organization that cares more about relationships than winning. Dwight Powell has been a Mav longer than anyone this century except Dirk because him and Cuban are movie buddies, he was a throw in when they traded for Rondo 10 years ago. He's a player that should be on his 8th team or out of the NBA by now. Cuban also had his buddy gambling addict making decisions over the GM. Luckily Cuban is no longer the majority owner, but with this move I'm not sure what has changed with the new ownership.

Return to The General Board