Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,275

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#461 » by CraftylikeaFox » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:25 am

BAMAFREAK wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
Do you think she'll get the same level of attention that Clark's gotten? Attention and hype is not always correlated 1:1 with talent, she could be a better baller but don't know if she'll get the ratings Clark has.
JuJu will be must see TV because she will break the scoring record.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

Juju barely shot 40% this year and 28 and 36% in the last two games. She’s inefficient and nowhere near the player Clark is. Very good athlete and player but Clark isn’t just media creation, she’s been transcendent in college.

I don't think people realize how crazy the logo 3 is in college. We are so used to it in the NBA because lots of players take them regularly, but in college it's not very common. Even on the mens side when theres a player that has it in their arsenal they garner a lot of media attention. There was a time a few years ago where Trae Young was the most massive name in college basketball bc of the logo 3's. So not only was Clark doing it, she was also the first woman doing it, and she was doing it at an even more frequent clip than Curry was in college. It didn't need to be Caitlin Clark. If any other womens player before her had done the same thing, assuming their team was a good one, they would've blown up the same way.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 813

Post#462 » by Ito » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:41 am

How are people suppose to even watch the wnba games when they don’t be on TV like that, they come on the local networks for their local teams.. you won’t catch many wnba games even on espn.. they should prolly push the games to the local TV channels like they do the college games.. that’s why those games are being watched kuz they on Fox and ABC.. I think if I’m remembering right back then when the wnba first started they used to show it on NBC like the NBA games
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#463 » by BAMAFREAK » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:26 pm

CraftylikeaFox wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:JuJu will be must see TV because she will break the scoring record.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

Juju barely shot 40% this year and 28 and 36% in the last two games. She’s inefficient and nowhere near the player Clark is. Very good athlete and player but Clark isn’t just media creation, she’s been transcendent in college.

I don't think people realize how crazy the logo 3 is in college. We are so used to it in the NBA because lots of players take them regularly, but in college it's not very common. Even on the mens side when theres a player that has it in their arsenal they garner a lot of media attention. There was a time a few years ago where Trae Young was the most massive name in college basketball bc of the logo 3's. So not only was Clark doing it, she was also the first woman doing it, and she was doing it at an even more frequent clip than Curry was in college. It didn't need to be Caitlin Clark. If any other womens player before her had done the same thing, assuming their team was a good one, they would've blown up the same way.

Exactly, and on top of the range….she can also get to the rack and finish. It’s pretty much prime Curry of the women’s game. Doesn’t matter white or black, it’s simply the level of her play.
Now, you can’t deny the fact she is white and plays on a perennial underdog doesn’t add to the narrative and viewership. But make no mistake, she is way different, and on another level than Juju, Reese, etc
GamecockFan1024
Junior
And1: 371

Post#464 » by GamecockFan1024 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:10 pm

24.7 million peak audience for South Carolina-Iowa. Just insane numbers quite honestly.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,810

Post#465 » by sikma42 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:14 pm

BAMAFREAK wrote:
CraftylikeaFox wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:

Exactly, and on top of the range….she can also get to the rack and finish. It’s pretty much prime Curry of the women’s game. Doesn’t matter white or black, it’s simply the level of her play.
Now, you can’t deny the fact she is white and plays on a perennial underdog doesn’t add to the narrative and viewership. But make no mistake, she is way different, and on another level than Juju, Reese, etc

I don’t think she is on another level than JuJu when you factor in age and experience. By the time JuJu is a senior she will be at least as good as Clark is now. Her size and shiftiness make her very unique.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,104

Post#466 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:37 pm

She actually got me to tune into a women's game.

She's a generational talent that changed the entire game of Women's basketball.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,463

Post#467 » by azcatz11 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:46 pm

Officially #1 overall pick
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#468 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 am

dc wrote:
boogiezen wrote:But the purist of the game will say that's not winning basketball.

Indiana Fever has good young core. If you want her to continue what she has done in college it will depend on the coach. Clark has the greenlight in Iowa.

Iowa gave Clark the green light because it gave them a better chance of winning, not because they didn't like "fundamental basketball" or they were going out of their way to promote her as some transcendent player. She was efficient even at her volume and usage rate. It's the same thing with Steph. A bad shot from him was still better than a good shot from his teammates. That's literally what they said about him in his highlight video the moment he was announced as the #7 pick.

Fever might have a good core, but they've been a bad team for several years in a row now. I mean, that's how they're getting Clark in the first place. If her game indeed translates, they're going to let her play the way she played in college.

Important basketball points here.

There have been many college basketball players, of both sexes, that have been given the greenlight, and traditionally we didn't have the ability to see the data on how that worked out for their teams. I firmly believe that on any level you'll sometimes get players who just are given the greenlight to score every time when they shouldn't. But Clark's Hawkeyes had a considerably stronger offensive effectiveness than any of their competitors by the metrics I've seen, so clearly, she earned that green light.

Further, Clark had the green light from Day 1 freshman year and it immediately made the team's offense better than before, which is a relevant thing to realize. I don't think there can be any doubt then that here high school impact as at least as dominant when she played with green light, and that means she's been doing this for 7 years now through one jump in competition.

This then to say that if you want Clark as your franchise player because of how you've seen her play, and you'd like to see her lead your team with similar excellence, why would you have her learn some other role at the start? It's a rare player that can succeed in doing this of course, but that's what you were betting on when you drafted her.

I would say that the Fever should plan on handing the offense over to Clark unless something specific causes them to hold off.

Something of a tangent:

The recent player who she surpassed in the record books who had a similar green light is Kelsey Plum. And Plum talked about her own struggles coming to the big leagues, which is a reasonable - and humble - thing for her to do.

The thing is though, while Plum was drafted #1 overall, the team felt like they already had a core of scorers that they were excited to build around, and they decided not to change up everything to fit around the rookie. While playing in a very different role than she did in college, Plum struggled - which left everyone feeling it was justified that the team still focus on their existing trio.

A couple things though:

1. They had the worst ORtg in the league both the year before they got Plum, and in her rookie year, so what they were doing wasn't working.

2. In addition to being more hyped than these other players, I would say that there's a pretty strong consensus that Plum has proven the best of the bunch by a good margin.

So yeah, I think they maybe should have just handed the reins over to Plum, and had they done so, the results might literally have been better than the worst-in-league offense the team actually ran. I'm sure there would have been struggles, but I'm real curious about what might have been here.

Of course the thing is, things couldn't have turned out better for the Aces in the long-term than they already did. They kept Plum, and gradually developed her into a secondary star with a green light on perhaps the greatest women's team ever assembled.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,360

Post#469 » by Jedi32 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:45 am

sikma42 wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:
CraftylikeaFox wrote:

I don’t think she is on another level than JuJu when you factor in age and experience. By the time JuJu is a senior she will be at least as good as Clark is now. Her size and shiftiness make her very unique.

She isn't on another level than juju. No current female college player is. That's total nonsense. Juju is the truth and the best female college player imo. She will make all naysayers believers soon enough
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#470 » by BAMAFREAK » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 am

Jedi32 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:

She isn't on another level than juju. No current female college player is. That's total nonsense. Juju is the truth and the best female college player imo. She will make all naysayers believers soon enough

She’s got a ways to go. Was 17-53 in their last two games.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,360

Post#471 » by Jedi32 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 am

BAMAFREAK wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:I don’t think she is on another level than JuJu when you factor in age and experience. By the time JuJu is a senior she will be at least as good as Clark is now. Her size and shiftiness make her very unique.

Clark was 17-46 in her last two games so what's the point?
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 428

Post#472 » by boogiezen » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

Jedi32 wrote:
BAMAFREAK wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:She isn't on another level than juju. No current female college player is. That's total nonsense. Juju is the truth and the best female college player imo. She will make all naysayers believers soon enough

Clark was 17-46 in her last two games so what's the point?

Clark was not only a scorer in college. Even in her first year, she was already leading in assist. So, she wasn't only relying on scoring/shooting to be effective. People will always forget that her PASSING is her best asset.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#473 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:24 am

She's bigger than other NBA stars, so that says a lot too.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 643

Post#474 » by Handlez » Fri May 10, 2024 1:49 am

https://people.com/indiana-reporter-suspended-after-controversial-caitlin-clark-exchange-8644914

This is an absolute joke. Reporter for Fever has been BANNED from watching her games in person and SUSPENDED for two weeks from work for silly awkward moment.

SOFT.

Oh and Clark is struggling on the court.

Can't just shoot threes with no in between game.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#476 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 12:42 pm

Constantly whining to the officials like this. Caitlin Clark really is the next Trae Young?!?

Read on Twitter
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,417

Post#477 » by Gusto1903 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:51 pm

What makes Caitlin Clark so special and THAT much better than for example Sabrina Ionescu? Is it the forced media attention?
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,388

Post#478 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:03 pm

The Fever suck big time and that's why she was the #1 pick.

They're clueless, not talented and don't seem well-coached. Also, CC's teammates have to get used to her passing. That's typical.

CC has to work on her own development but that squad is really not so good.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#479 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 1:23 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:The Fever suck big time and that's why she was the #1 pick.

They're clueless, not talented and don't seem well-coached. Also, CC's teammates have to get used to her passing. That's typical.

CC has to work on her own development but that squad is really not so good.

This is literally the story of every #1 pick on bad pro team.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#480 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 1:25 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:What makes Caitlin Clark so special and THAT much better than for example Sabrina Ionescu? Is it the forced media attention?

This was always the case. Caitlyn is great...but she ain't the greatest woman to ever pick up a ball.

Just the most prolific.

And the WNBA is such a top heavy league, CC may have to leave the Fever to ever find true team success.

Return to The General Board