Is Derrick White a max player?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Is Derrick White a max player?

Yes.
22%
No.
78%

Total votes: 140

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Re: Is Derrick White a max player? 

Post#81 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 am

DrModesty wrote:Even if Suggs just treads water next year, Orlando isn't keeping him at $20m. Suggs is looking at 30m plus.
He's going to get an extension before next season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,576

Post#82 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri May 10, 2024 1:16 am

brackdan70 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:What does that have to do with anything? Are you comparing Reeves to White?

Reaves 15.9 PPG, 4.3 Reb, 5.5 Ast, 48.6 FG%
White 15.2 PPG, 4.2 Reb, 5.2 Ast, 46.1 FG%

They are exactly the same player besides obvious playstyle tendencies.

You can argue all you want that White is better but the reality is White is not a Max player because he's identical to Austin Reaves

There is much more to the game than those 5 statistics lol.
Win shares, BPM, defensive stats. Adjusted +\-, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, Reeves is a good player…just not close to the impact White has.

It's like saying Jonas Valanciunas is basically Rudy Gobert because their scoring and rebounding per 36 are similar :lol: :crazy: :lol:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,467

Post#83 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:32 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:I'd take him over Jrue or Jaylen right now, he's been THAT good.
And he's exactly the kind of guy you want in your locker room.

Jalen Brown? He's the Celtics best player since the ASB

what?
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,576

Post#84 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri May 10, 2024 1:41 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:I'd take him over Jrue or Jaylen right now, he's been THAT good.
And he's exactly the kind of guy you want in your locker room.

Jalen Brown? He's the Celtics best player since the ASB

what?

Not too impressed with his 1.5:1 A:TO ratio or his negative DBPM, personally, but I respect your opinion.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 541

Post#85 » by DrModesty » Fri May 10, 2024 1:55 am

basketballRob wrote:
DrModesty wrote:Even if Suggs just treads water next year, Orlando isn't keeping him at $20m. Suggs is looking at 30m plus.
He's going to get an extension before next season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

In that case Suggs gets paid off of this year which is a better situation than a year where he treadmills. If I am Suggs, I am not signing an extension that is less than 30m per year.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,814

Post#86 » by AussieBuck » Fri May 10, 2024 2:19 am

He's better and younger than Holiday so he'd be pretty charitable if he's looking at being paid less.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,196

Post#87 » by Shaka_Zulu » Fri May 10, 2024 2:56 am

LaLover11 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:Is Austin Reaves a max player

What does that have to do with anything? Are you comparing Reeves to White?

You can argue all you want that White is better but the reality is White is not a Max player because he's identical to Austin Reaves

Except you know, Reaves is an absolute traffic cone on defence, while White is DPOY level for the guards and best blocker. All around perfect Swiss army knife. Exactly kind of player that leads you to championships.

Reaves is more like 6man type who lacks true aggression to hunt for himself.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#88 » by dk1115 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:It’s all a bit awkward as he’s a better player than Brown who will soon be making 50-60% less money. He’s the glue that holds the team together.

Curious, and this is a real question:

Is Brown not an impactful player? I don't get to watch him, so I don't know if it's true.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 913

Post#89 » by JimmyFromNz » Fri May 10, 2024 3:22 am

Derrick White is my favourite current Celtic, but you aren't going to see teams offer him the max, because he's not a max player. Also let's be clear on what 'max' means, it isn't the same for every player... a maximum available extension is a completely different conversation.

We can compare him to what Jaylen is earning sure, but all that is actually saying is how overpaid JB is rather than making a positive argument for Derrick. In the same way I'd prefer White over Bradley Beal and his contract. Its not like for like.

Some might say, that's the salary market for players at that stage of their career. No that's the market for teams who have very little other choice, or alternatively are the Washington Wizards. No team is sitting there saying let's commit 5 years of 200+ million to an unrestricted Derrick White.

That said, the Austin Reaves comparisons are amazing... tell us you don't watch basketball in a few short words!
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,782

Post#90 » by Harry Garris » Fri May 10, 2024 3:27 am

I believe the maximum the Celtics can offer him is 35m a year so that’s what he’ll get
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,633

Post#91 » by Mrakar » Fri May 10, 2024 4:12 am

I would rather give him 40 mils then Ingram or Mccollum, he would be perfect for the pelicans. Sadly its not happening...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,744

Post#92 » by srhcan » Fri May 10, 2024 4:18 am

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:What does that have to do with anything? Are you comparing Reeves to White?

Except you know, Reaves is an absolute traffic cone on defence, while White is DPOY level for the guards and best blocker. All around perfect Swiss army knife. Exactly kind of player that leads you to championships.

so much disrespect of White in this thread :nonono: Suggs, Reaves are all in below tier than White
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 991

Post#93 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:23 am

srhcan wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

so much disrespect of White in this thread :nonono: Suggs, Reaves are all in below tier than White

In your opinion lol

White tonight 10pts/5ast/4reb -27 plus/minus
He's a glue guy and this ridiculous thread is asking if he's a Max player in the NBA :lol:
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
bushybrah_
Sixth Man
And1: 1,390

Post#94 » by bushybrah_ » Fri May 10, 2024 4:35 am

Yes. And I hope a team overpays for him so he leaves the Celtics.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,093

Post#95 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 10, 2024 4:57 am

Harry Garris wrote:I believe the maximum the Celtics can offer him is 35m a year so that’s what he’ll get

If he accepts it.

But yeah -- I think he'll take the max feasible extension rather than trying to be, for example, a true max player.

A borderline all-star who age-wise is fully in his prime probably can't command 1/3 of any team's salary cap, except sometimes in cases where a guy used to be better than that and is already in his decline.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,912

Post#96 » by One_and_Done » Fri May 10, 2024 5:12 am

bushybrah_ wrote:Yes. And I hope a team overpays for him so he leaves the Celtics.

Spurs could be interested.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#97 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 10:52 am

PierceFan4ever wrote:Yes. But he can’t be your best player obviously can definitely be a perfect number 3 option on a championship level team. If Jrue/OG can get a max, so can White who is better than both players.
He's only a max player to the Celtics. For other teams, nope. Similarly, no other team would make Brown the highest paid player in the league but the C's.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,053

Post#98 » by hauntedcomputer » Fri May 10, 2024 12:42 pm

Derrick White at 13 percent of team salary cap is a bargain. Derrick White at 30 percent is a disaster. As the Celtics will find out in a few years when they're paying Jaylen Brown twice as much for the same thing they're getting now.

It's hard to hold cores together these days. Rookie contracts and true superstars are the only real production bargains and when you get a bargain vet you need to capitalize, but as stated before it does not matter unless you already have the right team and the right pieces in place. White on probably 25 other teams wouldn't even matter.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

Return to The General Board