John Hollinger updated Jokic all-time ranking

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,407

John Hollinger updated Jokic all-time ranking 

Post#1 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:33 pm

https://theathletic.com/5477264/2024/05/08/nikola-jokic-mvp-nba-goat-debate/

Summary:

* Has his own all-time ranking system, which he admits has some flaws (overrates Harden and Karl Malone, underrates Jordan and others)

* Jokic currently #21 all time just behind Jerry West

* Jokic for sure is already top 30 all time

* Solid chance Jokic can finish around #12 all time

Jokic at 21 tracks with Simmons having Jokic at 25 before this current season (and new MVP, All NBA).

My guess is that Simmons will have Jokic in the teens now. But the key is that Hollinger and Simmons are both in the same ballpark when it comes to rating Jokic.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,152

Re: John Hollinger updated Jokic all-time ranking 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

When you talk about peak/prime he's already clearly a top 10 player of all time. His last four year stretch is as good as anyone out there. Skillset wise he's clearly a top 10 talent all-time as well but I'm not sure he has the same fire/competitive drive to crack most people's top ten lists because I just don't think he cares. I doubt he'll play til he's 37 or 38.

Right now I'd have a hard time putting him behind Giannis, Barkley, Malone, Dirk, David Robinson, etc... I think he's already cemented himself top 15 all-time with three MVPs and a championship that was a bit of a carry job without any other all-stars much like Dirk's 2011 championship.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,053

Post#3 » by Johnny Fontane » Fri May 10, 2024 12:49 pm

Seems he’s got a lot riding on these playoffs. A sweep with him and Nugs getting stifled would be a bad look for his legacy. That said overall body of work/accolades have him arguable top 20 and he’s still got years ahead
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,114

Post#4 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 10, 2024 12:53 pm

Weirdly enough I also have Jokic at #21 on my list, despite not using/knowing any of Holliger's metrics.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#5 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 10, 2024 1:00 pm

Johnny Fontane wrote:Seems he’s got a lot riding on these playoffs. A sweep with him and Nugs getting stifled would be a bad look for his legacy. That said overall body of work/accolades have him arguable top 20 and he’s still got years ahead

I don’t think one series will affect his legacy in the long run. All all time greats had bad series one time or another he is 29 for crying out loud lol. No one had perfect post season series. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, Kareem.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,053

Post#6 » by Johnny Fontane » Fri May 10, 2024 1:04 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Johnny Fontane wrote:Seems he’s got a lot riding on these playoffs. A sweep with him and Nugs getting stifled would be a bad look for his legacy. That said overall body of work/accolades have him arguable top 20 and he’s still got years ahead

I don’t think one series will affect his legacy in the long run. All all time greats had bad series one time or another he is 29 for crying out loud lol. No one had perfect post season series. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, Kareem.

You may have a point but yet it won’t stop the critics from having their say
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,407

Post#7 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm

bstein14 wrote:When you talk about peak/prime he's already clearly a top 10 player of all time.

Hollinger said this, that his current 4 year run is up at the top.

His list is a "measure the career accomplishments" list, it seems.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay

Return to The General Board