How Do Suns Fans Feel About the Vogel Firing?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 405

Re: How Do Suns Fans Feel About the Vogel Firing? 

Post#21 » by OhMyGodBecky » Sat May 11, 2024 1:53 am

If Bud led a team to 60 wins and a conference finals with his best player arguably Paul Millsap, anything's possible here if they can keep their core.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,866

Post#22 » by jkvonny » Sat May 11, 2024 8:57 am

They seem 50/50 about it.

But now they got Coach Bud. He's another goop one. Hopefully they don't screw this one up, also.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,164

Post#23 » by garrick » Sat May 11, 2024 9:25 am

He's a scapegoat.

The big 3 are spoiled and aren't open to coaching at all.
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,366

Post#24 » by Sane » Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 am

garrick wrote:He's a scapegoat.

To be honest it seems to be a culture thing. In his last 3 stops Durant has repeatedly said to the media he wants to simplify the offense, just throw it to him and let him work. At some point he was part of the most potent offense in history (Warriors) with a championship calibre system/teammates but his ego could not accept it. Same with Nash, Vogel.

This is like saying 3 coaches in a row didn't have a better idea than a Kevin Durant iso offense. Doesn't make sense.

When that kind of player is the best player on your team, that culture of downplaying the coach can spread. I suspect that's why he left the Warriors (not fitting in), while the culture of ignoring the coach has followed him everywhere since.

I'm not a Durant hater btw I think he's one of the greatest scorers ever but I've been surprised that he hasn't caught himself doing this.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,164

Post#25 » by garrick » Sat May 11, 2024 2:41 pm

Sane wrote:

To be honest it seems to be a culture thing. In his last 3 stops Durant has repeatedly said to the media he wants to simplify the offense, just throw it to him and let him work. At some point he was part of the most potent offense in history (Warriors) with a championship calibre system/teammates but his ego could not accept it. Same with Nash, Vogel.

This is like saying 3 coaches in a row didn't have a better idea than a Kevin Durant iso offense. Doesn't make sense.

When that kind of player is the best player on your team, that culture of downplaying the coach can spread. I suspect that's why he left the Warriors (not fitting in), while the culture of ignoring the coach has followed him everywhere since.

I'm not a Durant hater btw I think he's one of the greatest scorers ever but I've been surprised that he hasn't caught himself doing this.

I think KD ran out two coaches in Nash and Atkinson so he definitely isn't the easiest person to coach and definitely does want to play his way. At this point it's not so much about winning but more about playing the way he wants to play.
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,366

Post#26 » by Sane » Sat May 11, 2024 3:49 pm

garrick wrote:
Sane wrote:

I think KD ran out two coaches in Nash and Atkinson so he definitely isn't the easiest person to coach and definitely does want to play his way. At this point it's not so much about winning but more about playing the way he wants to play.

Wanting to play his style is fine all superstars want that and should get that, but the style he's insisting on is just to give him the ball. That's not a style it's just lazy and doesn't take into account you need other stars to win and the style of play has to suit them too.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,378

Post#27 » by canada_dry » Sat May 11, 2024 3:56 pm

Defensive hire for an offensive team. More mismanagement by james jones who idk how still has a job.

It reminds me of when the knicks replaced riley with don nelson.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,334

Post#28 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:11 pm

jkvonny wrote:They seem 50/50 about it.

But now they got Coach Bud. He's another goop one. Hopefully they don't screw this one up, also.

I wonder how much input will Bud get regarding roster construction.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,334

Post#29 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:14 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
I knew the team would fail because of that. They need to add any veteran PG that is available in free agency: Cam Payne, Kyle Lowry, maybe Aaron Holiday...

You see any of those guys as a needle mover?

Kyle Lowry is a winner. Cam Payne can get hot. The needle has to move ever so slightly in a positive direction just by simply getting a real NBA PG. It's an oversight of roster construction for that organization that shouldn't be repeated.

I think Lowry would be a really good addition directing their offense, at the same time play decent enough defense. Biggest question mark would be his ability to stay healthy given his age.
Then again, the Lakers might offer a great Playmaker/shooter in D'Angelo Russell..... for Booker. :D
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,887

Post#30 » by SkyBill40 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:36 pm

I'm fine with it. He wasn't the right hire from the start and it showed almost immediately. He'd lost the team by the the all star break if not before, and it was clear the players had no respect for him.

While I do often find coaching to be highly overrated, Vogel was the sacrificial lamb. It's unfortunate that players can't be taken to task for their lack of accountability in the outcome of the season as Booker, Beal, and Durant failed miserably. Neither they nor Vogel get blame as there's plenty to go around: James Jones put this dumpster fire together and he should have been fired a long time ago; Ishbia came in and tried to flex his wallet and effectively destroyed a team mired in mediocrity that finally began to turn things around practically overnight.

As long as the core of BBD are in place, this team is going nowhere. The only issue with trying to right some glaring wrongs is that we no longer charge any capital in terms of draft picks or even the remotest flexibility in general given we're solidly trapped by the second apron tax penalty bracket.

Sent from my [Samsung Z4 Fold] using RealGM mobile app
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,396

Post#31 » by Scalabrine » Sat May 11, 2024 9:55 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys, and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

I knew the team would fail because of that. They need to add any veteran PG that is available in free agency: Cam Payne, Kyle Lowry, maybe Aaron Holiday...

You see any of those guys as a needle mover?

They are all borderline rotation players, so not really. I think Lowry would be the best because he's still good at getting guys in their places and creating plays for others, but he's not getting any better. If he's smart he should just stay with his hometown team in Philly with Nurse.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board