2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

Pumpkin17
Junior
And1: 458

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2921 » by Pumpkin17 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:21 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:Luka's mindset is also his bodies worst enemy. There's no way he accepts to sit out

This. People point to poor conditioning but Luka actually has a standard physique being from his country/zone. Just like Jokic. You cannot expect these guys to look lean and defined like Shai but you can expect them to be strong as trees.

Also, you can expect them to play like injuries do not exist.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,696

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2922 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:42 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Luka's body is what it is, his father looked exactly the same, he has more football than basketball body and he plays with the biggest usage in Nba. The only realistic way is for Mavs to find a way to be good in RS without Luka playing playoffs minutes and effort the whole season. In that case he would be a lot fresher than now.
Problem in this season is not bad conditioning, but having too many injuries that just makes impossible for him to move well. You can see how down is his usage in this playoffs comparing to other years. He would for sure missed few weeks, if it was RS.

Very high usage since coming to the league is probably the main reason for his current form. At least I don't know of particular injury attributed to bad luck. Mavs are balanced team now so there is no reason for Luka to have 35+ USG% next season other than chasing scoring records. MVPs are won with 25+ USG too.

In theory, if Kyrie doesn't miss as many games as this year and they don't have multiple players missing 20+ games.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 6,216

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#2923 » by Doranku » Sun May 12, 2024 12:51 pm

Dirk wrote:Ethical basketball.

Man it's just so **** good. The lightning fast crossover -> between the legs -> behind the back triple combo move gets JDub to slightly bite right which is all Kyrie needs to get the step going left into the off-hand floater with multiple bumps along the way. The Socrates of basketball.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,597

Post#2924 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:33 pm

I really like Luka as a player but I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone try to use every possession to try to work the refs the way he does, even to the point where he’s talking to them instead of getting back, and even when they are getting the calls like they did yesterday. It’s just a weird part of his game. All star players get a favorable whistle, Luka as much as anybody.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2925 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:01 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I really like Luka as a player but I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone try to use every possession to try to work the refs the way he does, even to the point where he’s talking to them instead of getting back, and even when they are getting the calls like they did yesterday. It’s just a weird part of his game. All star players get a favorable whistle, Luka as much as anybody.

Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ and others are getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.
MFT5
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#2926 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:11 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Luka's body is what it is, his father looked exactly the same, he has more football than basketball body and he plays with the biggest usage in Nba. The only realistic way is for Mavs to find a way to be good in RS without Luka playing playoffs minutes and effort the whole season. In that case he would be a lot fresher than now.
Problem in this season is not bad conditioning, but having too many injuries that just makes impossible for him to move well. You can see how down is his usage in this playoffs comparing to other years. He would for sure missed few weeks, if it was RS.

Very high usage since coming to the league is probably the main reason for his current form. At least I don't know of particular injury attributed to bad luck. Mavs are balanced team now so there is no reason for Luka to have 35+ USG% next season other than chasing scoring records. MVPs are won with 25+ USG too.

injury started w the kings carrie over to rockets game flared up when clippers were acting like idiots fouling and playing reckless & now a continuation of the same nonsense from lu dirt as this series’ westbrook
MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2927 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:13 pm

Bob8 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I really like Luka as a player but I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone try to use every possession to try to work the refs the way he does, even to the point where he’s talking to them instead of getting back, and even when they are getting the calls like they did yesterday. It’s just a weird part of his game. All star players get a favorable whistle, Luka as much as anybody.

Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ is getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.

it’s like ppl dnt have common sense lol. oh fts are similar, yea one is being gifted them while the other is being assaulted lol
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#2928 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:14 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ and others is getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.

You and I are both biased, I don’t think the more objective folks see it like this at all.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,604

Post#2929 » by zshawn10 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nTTEj4pYTl_o_im2gtZyQg
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#2930 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm

zshawn10 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nTTEj4pYTl_o_im2gtZyQg

He’s at 54% from three in this series.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2931 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm

MFT5 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ is getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.

it’s like ppl dnt have common sense lol. oh fts are similar, yea one is being gifted them while the other is being assaulted lol

Exactly it's like watching different sports. Dort with his football body is doing wrestling more than anything else.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2932 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:19 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Tell me honestly, how many fouls would have Dort got, if he was that physically guarding Shai? Dort is holding Luka with both hands constantly. What Dort is doing is not D, it's foul in every possession, many times multiple fouls. He shouldn't last more than a half. The difference in D on Luka and Shai is enormous, there's 10x more contact on Luka. Luka avg. 7 FTs in the series and Shai 9. It doesn't matter that Luka is 230 and can absorb fouls easier, Dort is playing wrestling not basketball D. On the other hand DJJ and others is getting called for every contact on Shai, I would say that Luka's frustration is understandable.

You and I are both biased, I don’t think the more objective folks see it like this at all.

Sure we're. But just look at how Dort is defending Luka and how Mavs are defending Shai. Dort is in constant contact with Luka all the time. Look 1 Q without prejudice and then tell me that Dort is not playing extremely more physical D on Luka than Mavs on Shai. It's not even close and Shai is having 30% more FTs.

What I have read is clearly showing that everyone except OKC fans are saying that Dort is not playing clean D on Luka.

And I didn't even bring Dort D in conversations before your claimed how Luka is in constant complaints, while getting favourable whistle. Favourable whistle means Dort is having 6 fouls in Q1.
MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2933 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:25 pm

Bob8 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Sure we're. But just look at how Dort is defending Luka and how Mavs are defending Shai. Dort is in constant contact with Luka all the time. Look 1 Q without prejudice and then tell me that Dort is not playing extremely more physical D on Luka than Mavs on Shai. It's not even close and Shai is having 30% more FTs.

What I have read is clearly showing that everyone except OKC fans are saying that Dort is not playing clean D on Luka.

lu dirt be holding on for dear life … lol reminiscent of thunder seasons 2 games to go til thunder is settled
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,098

Post#2934 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 2:26 pm

sunsbg wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
No you're just taking my response to you too personal I'm talking about the general perception that OKC is so young give them a pass if they lose because they're new at this, SGA is not new at this. He just missed the playoffs every year except this year.

I'm just pointing out your reading comprehension issue, nothing personal.

And I'm reporting you for it for saying it multiple times when it wasn't a reading comprehension issue, and because I got a strike for calling someone a clown. It was totally uncalled for and you did it twice. Making personal insults is against the rules and if they're going to apply it to me it applies to you have a nice day.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,607

Post#2935 » by rockmanslim » Sun May 12, 2024 2:27 pm

Luka questionable for next game. If they were down 1-2, he'd obviously have to play, but since they're up 2-1, should they rest him? Interesting dilemma.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,098

Post#2936 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 2:28 pm

rockmanslim wrote:Luka questionable for next game. If they were down 1-2, he'd obviously have to play, but since they're up 2-1, should they rest him? Interesting dilemma.

He's been questionable every game, he said if he can walk he'll play.

If Dallas wins game 4 historically the chance of winning the series is 95% by being up 3-1, if they lose it's 48%. It's still a very important game you also don't want to just give OKC homecourt advantage back.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2937 » by Bob8 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:36 pm

rockmanslim wrote:Luka questionable for next game. If they were down 1-2, he'd obviously have to play, but since they're up 2-1, should they rest him? Interesting dilemma.

No, game 4 is crucial. He's playing with a lot less usage in last games anyway, but if he's not playing, Dort is on Kyrie and there aren't open shots for others anymore. The best possible option for resting Luka is winning in 5 and hoping Minnesota:Denver goes to 7.
MFT5
Sophomore

Post#2938 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:39 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

He's been questionable every game, he said if he can walk he'll play.

If Dallas wins game 5 historically the chance of winning the series is 95%, if they lose it's 48%.

i think ppls brains are more questionable than lukas health at this point. so uninformed i can’t even comprehend theses ppls thought processes lol
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,933

Post#2939 » by dirkules_41 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:46 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Sure call it bias. Most objective folks would call it playing outside linebacker in the wrong sport. With more flopping than a Michael Scott improv class.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,200

Post#2940 » by sunsbg » Sun May 12, 2024 2:52 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
And I'm reporting you for it for saying it multiple times when it wasn't a reading comprehension issue, and because I got a strike for calling someone a clown. It was totally uncalled for and you did it twice. Making personal insults is against the rules and if they're going to apply it to me it applies to you have a nice day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: OK. I'll take the strike for telling you the truth that you should read and think before replying.

Return to The General Board