What happened to Chet Holmgren?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Kiss of Death
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Re: What happened to Chet Holmgren? 

Post#101 » by Kiss of Death » Sun May 12, 2024 3:26 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:He's getting outmanned and outplayed by the Mavs rookie backup center.
He has zero chance against Jokic or the twin towers in Minnesota. He will get destroyed.
He's a good player now and he will probably be a great center one day.
The people that are saying that he is a top 5 center in the NBA RIGHT NOW are the reason that this thread exists.

You would need to not be watching at all to think Lively is outplaying him. In game 1 he was elite protecting the rim, and has been great at times the other two games. He’s definitely a top 5 center already and he played 82 RS games already, we’ve seen him win those matchups already, and we’ve seen him lose some as happens with everyone.

But he’s a top 3 rim protector, and a top 5 C. It’s his offense that needs to get more consistent which is what he has to work on.

Yes. That’s why the OKC coach went to the ‘hack Lively’ strategy late in the game hoping that Kidd would take him out so that Chet could actually do something.

Chet isn’t even a top 5 center in the western conference. He’s barely a top 5 center in his division. He is a good player but you are overrating him by a million miles. That’s why this thread was made. People are finally seeing him.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,120

Post#102 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 3:28 pm

There's not many centers that can handle being a rim protector taking the beating you usually take doing that and be able to score 20 ppg. Chet is not thick enough it will wear on him as his career progresses and he will probably be injury prone. I'd be shocked if he wasn't. They should get another center IMO and let him play PF.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,513

Post#103 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 12, 2024 3:34 pm

Chet just needs s Draymond like PF beside him that can do all the dirty work in the paint where he can float around to block shots. Still a tremendous player and will be a top 5 C in like 4 years or so.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#104 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:37 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Kiss of Death wrote:He's getting outmanned and outplayed by the Mavs rookie backup center.
He has zero chance against Jokic or the twin towers in Minnesota. He will get destroyed.
The people that are saying that he is a top 5 center in the NBA RIGHT NOW are the reason that this thread exists.

You would need to not be watching at all to think Lively is outplaying him. In game 1 he was elite protecting the rim, and has been great at times the other two games. He’s definitely a top 5 center already and he played 82 RS games already, we’ve seen him win those matchups already, and we’ve seen him lose some as happens with everyone.

But he’s a top 3 rim protector, and a top 5 C. It’s his offense that needs to get more consistent which is what he has to work on.

Jokic
Anthony Davis
Embiid
Bam
Wemby

There are others too. Dont really see an argument for him being a top 5 Center.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ito
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#105 » by Ito » Sun May 12, 2024 3:39 pm

In the 2nd round playing the future champs
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Post#106 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:42 pm

sikma42 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Jokic
Anthony Davis
Embiid
Bam
Wemby

There are others too. Dont really see an argument for him being a top 5 Center.

Eh ok I’ll take top 5 back I agree the guys on that list are better than Chet at the moment.

I don’t think there are really more but maybe I’ll be wrong again…
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,626

Post#107 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 pm

Chet is not just going against Lively. Gafford is just as much of a problem. Both bigs are active and attack the glass too. It's a tough matchup since they don't really have to worry about fouls. The interesting thing I'm wondering if Daigneault doesn't at least try to up-size the team much with Jaylin Williams and then give Mike Muscala those Hayward cardio minutes.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
TJ_Ford_11
Rookie
And1: 915

Post#108 » by TJ_Ford_11 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:16 pm

He’ll be fine, he is the Michael Jordan of Bol Bols.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,170

Post#109 » by HMFFL » Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:They need a big and have him play PF. He really isn’t a center.

If it ends up that way, then Chet’s value drops tremendously.

How so? He can be more productive at the 4 and his value will be fine. I doubt OKC is concerned about his value anyways.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 pm

HMFFL wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:They need a big and have him play PF. He really isn’t a center.

How so? He can be more productive at the 4 and his value will be fine. I doubt OKC is concerned about his value anyways.

HMFFL wrote:
sikma42 wrote:

Unless they can find some other unique, rebounding defensively competent center with shooting ability…they will lose a lot of spacing. This will result in worse looks for Holmgren and worse spacing for all.

Holmgren is talented player, but seems a bit overrated as a shooter and creator. What he does bring is more valuable at the 5 bc they can run teams off the floor bc everyone can shoot. But if they play 2 bigs, then he’s just another pretty good shooter at the 4 on offense.

Just for comparison, he is nowhere near the class of Towns and is not in the class of Pozingis as a shooter. He also drastically benefits from the shot quality bc he’s bad off of the dribble shooting.

MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 pm

Chet’s a 5 and he’s going to play the 5. Despite being skinny he still hasn’t found a matchup that pushes him around enough for it to be a net negative. He’s tough and also rebounds well.

OKC needs a 4 who can rebound and defend with some size, but Chet’s going to stay at the 5 where the mismatch usually results in good results in the matchup.

Here’s what he was doing earlier this year in his first year playing. The bag has plenty of space to fill out.

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,741

Post#112 » by Michael Jackson » Sun May 12, 2024 9:08 pm

sikma42 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
sikma42 wrote:If it ends up that way, then Chet’s value drops tremendously.

HMFFL wrote:
sikma42 wrote:If it ends up that way, then Chet’s value drops tremendously.

Unless they can find some other unique, rebounding defensively competent center with shooting ability…they will lose a lot of spacing. This will result in worse looks for Holmgren and worse spacing for all.

Holmgren is talented player, but seems a bit overrated as a shooter and creator. What he does bring is more valuable at the 5 bc they can run teams off the floor bc everyone can shoot. But if they play 2 bigs, then he’s just another pretty good shooter at the 4 on offense.

Just for comparison, he is nowhere near the class of Towns and is not in the class of Pozingis as a shooter. He also drastically benefits from the shot quality bc he’s bad off of the dribble shooting.

KAT was a .341 3p shooter his first season and Chet is .370. There is no reason to think that he can't improve on it either. Yes KAT is better for sure, but it was until his 3rd season he became a monster from 3.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#113 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:13 pm

And Chet is .370 and Porzingis was .375 this last year…
sikma42
Lead Assistant

What happened to Chet Holmgren? 

Post#114 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:31 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:And Chet is .370 and Porzingis was .375 this last year…

I made a long post about it comparing Wemby and Chet earlier this year. I’ll try to pull it up but it talked about their shot quality and splits (uncontested, contested, heavily contested, off the dribble). One thing that stood out was the amount of totally uncontested 3s that Chet gets. Another that stands out (from watching) is his slow shooting motion that I’ve seen blocked multiple times when he’s had ample space. I don’t know if he can currently shoot well in the space that guys like Towns and Porzingis operate. It’s just a slow motion.

Will try to check on bballindex but working for me rn

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,741

Post#115 » by Michael Jackson » Sun May 12, 2024 11:52 pm

sikma42 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:And Chet is .370 and Porzingis was .375 this last year…

I made a long post about it comparing Wemby and Chet earlier this year. I’ll try to pull it up but it talked about their shot quality and splits (uncontested, contested, heavily contested, off the dribble). One thing that stood out was the amount of totally uncontested 3s that Chet gets. Another that stands out (from watching) is his slow shooting motion that I’ve seen blocked multiple times when he’s had ample space. I don’t know if he can currently shoot well in the space that guys like Towns and Porzingis operate. It’s just a slow motion.

Will try to check on bballindex but working for me rn

I can see that for sure... but I think he can obviously improve that. Wemby and KAT are better than him, KP maybe... actually might be a fair ceiling comp for him. He doesn't need to play PF it is kinda postionless, but he would be better like KAT with a Gobert be it a PF or center. Depending on matchup one can roam and one can take the guy in the paint.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#116 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 4:56 am

JustBuzzin wrote:This dude was supposed to be the next big thing. Earlier in the season there was legit debate if he might be better than Wemby. Of course that ended when Wemby took off mid season, but still Chet was viewed as a guy who would challenge Wemby for the next great big.

He has looked pretty mid for the past 2 months. Did he hit a rookie wall or something?

It might be a strength issue. Those legs probably couldn't hold up for a full season + the playoffs. Hopefully the young guy gets stronger.

Am I the only one who noticed the dropoff with Chet's play?
Chet chokes in big games unlike Mobley and if OKC can swap them straight up, they do it like pronto!

It's why they even offered SGA for Mobley during the draft.

Now they are going to lose the series to the Mavs!
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#117 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 16, 2024 5:04 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:This dude was supposed to be the next big thing. Earlier in the season there was legit debate if he might be better than Wemby. Of course that ended when Wemby took off mid season, but still Chet was viewed as a guy who would challenge Wemby for the next great big.

He has looked pretty mid for the past 2 months. Did he hit a rookie wall or something?

It might be a strength issue. Those legs probably couldn't hold up for a full season + the playoffs. Hopefully the young guy gets stronger.

Chet chokes in big games unlike Mobley and if OKC can swap them straight up, they do it like pronto!

This site trashed Mobley in comparison to Chet just two weeks ago. If Mobley was in Chet's role, he would be struggling the same (especially as currently constituted). The Mavs are not playing small (and they don't even have Kleber out there) and are rolling out 48 minutes of elite length, size and leaping ability. Those guys will have their hands full against Denver/Minnesota because both teams have power bigs.

Even Jokic plays with a 6'9 Gordon and 6'10 Porter Jr on the frontline. Asking your skinny 2nd year big to grab every defensive rebound and block every shot with no additiional rebounding help isn't a recipe for winning in the playoffs.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,120

Post#118 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 5:06 am

He's going to constantly be suffering injuries with his skinny body if they keep him as their primary rim protector. They should get another big. He can't bang with Lively, Gafford, Jokic etc... If Zion was there he would have had a bad series against Pelicans too.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#119 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 5:14 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

This site trashed Mobley in comparison to Chet just two weeks ago. If Mobley was in Chet's role, he would be struggling the same (especially as currently constituted). The Mavs are not playing small (and they don't even have Kleber out there) and are rolling out 48 minutes of elite length, size and leaping ability. Those guys will have their hands full against Denver/Minnesota because both teams have power bigs.

Even Jokic plays with a 6'9 Gordon and 6'10 Porter Jr on the frontline. Asking your skinny 2nd year big to grab every defensive rebound and block every shot with no additiional rebounding help isn't a recipe for winning in the playoffs.
Fair enough but Mobley can push Chet around like a rag doll one on one.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gYA1aTLPjo8?si=7-65y5TaK4SPM2MM
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#120 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 16, 2024 5:23 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Chet chokes in big games unlike Mobley and if OKC can swap them straight up, they do it like pronto!

Fair enough but Mobley can push Chet around like a rag doll one on one.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gYA1aTLPjo8?si=7-65y5TaK4SPM2MM

Mobley still needs 15-20lbs of muscle himself. The Celtics (Jrue and Derrick White in particular) were able to get into his legs and knock him off of his base. He needs more functional core strength (not too much, you want to keep the athleticism) and upper body work, so he can be strong with the basketball. He's not that far from being 20+/10+/2+ with elite D.

Return to The General Board