I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Franco
Veteran
And1: 3,195

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#81 » by Franco » Sun May 12, 2024 4:51 pm

FrodoFraggins wrote:I don't want to see coomers make posts about eras they never witnessed. :)

This might be the biggest amount of **** that comes out in basketball discussions.

The 80s and 90s aren't the 60s. We have plenty of publicly available games from those eras to watch and study, this idea that "people haven't watched" those games is just insulting.
About 2018 Cavs:

euroleague wrote:His team would be considered a super-team in other eras, and that's why commentators like Charles Barkley criticize LBJ for his complaining. He has talent on his team, he just doesn't try during the regular season
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,043

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#82 » by ScrantonBulls » Sun May 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.

Watch an All-star game from 30 years ago, then watch the joke that is the All-star game now.

Lmao really? Your proof is an exhibition game that means nothing? That's a poor example.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,787

Post#83 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:25 pm

What about Gen Xers. ?
Sign here
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,280

Post#84 » by Johnny Bball » Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 pm

OP doesn't even know who he's tired of or why they think what they think. Probably start with learning that.
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,988

Post#85 » by IG2 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Franco wrote:The 80s and 90s aren't the 60s. We have plenty of publicly available games from those eras to watch and study, this idea that "people haven't watched" those games is just insulting.

Let's be real though. Majority of the 20 and 30-somethings that gush about past eras in order to denigrate the current one clearly haven't watched those games.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,120

Post#86 » by Dominator83 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:36 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.

Watch an All-star game from 30 years ago, then watch the joke that is the All-star game now.

Lmao really? Your proof is an exhibition game that means nothing? That's a poor example.

Ok. You want playoff rugby? Bulls vs bad boy Pistons. Knicks vs heat. Now THATS rugby
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,886

Post#87 » by jkvonny » Sun May 12, 2024 6:52 pm

brackdan70 wrote:What about Gen Xers. ?

Leave up out of this argument! :lol:
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#88 » by ScrantonBulls » Sun May 12, 2024 6:58 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:Watch an All-star game from 30 years ago, then watch the joke that is the All-star game now.

Ok. You want playoff rugby? Bulls vs bad boy Pistons. Knicks vs heat. Now THATS rugby

so a few series from back then is proof that the NBA was very physical then? I guess the few series we have seen this year that have been ultra physical is proof of how physical the modern NBA is.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,120

Post#89 » by Dominator83 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:08 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:Lmao really? Your proof is an exhibition game that means nothing? That's a poor example.

so a few series from back then is proof that the NBA was very physical then? I guess the few series we have seen this year that have been ultra physical is proof of how physical the modern NBA is.

You brushed of the All-star game as non proof. So i gave you playoff proof. That stuff was routine. Roughing guys up to throw them off their game. Guys like Brunson would have eaten several hard fouls by now. They weren't called flagrants either. Those were just hard playoff common fouls.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Franco
Veteran
And1: 3,195

Post#90 » by Franco » Sun May 12, 2024 7:11 pm

IG2 wrote:
Franco wrote:The 80s and 90s aren't the 60s. We have plenty of publicly available games from those eras to watch and study, this idea that "people haven't watched" those games is just insulting.

Let's be real though. Majority of the 20 and 30-somethings that gush about past eras in order to denigrate the current one clearly haven't watched those games.

Majority of fans couldn't name you more than maybe 3 players on each team today.

I know it's very easy to make fun (and for good reason) of the people in RealGM, but if you're interested enough to even look for a basketball-focused forum, you're probably already in the 90th percentile for basketball fans.

My point wasn't really that every 20-30 years old has extensively watched old games, but that to act like because you're younger you can't possibly have done so (or the even [b]dumber[/] idea that you "had to be there") is just insulting.
About 2018 Cavs:

euroleague wrote:His team would be considered a super-team in other eras, and that's why commentators like Charles Barkley criticize LBJ for his complaining. He has talent on his team, he just doesn't try during the regular season
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,988

Post#91 » by IG2 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Franco wrote:
My point wasn't really that every 20-30 years old has extensively watched old games, but that to act like because you're younger you can't possibly have done so (or the even [b]dumber[/] idea that you "had to be there") is just insulting.

I find it more insulting when someone who clearly hasn't watched past games glorifies that era simply to denigrate the current one or thinks he looks cooler by playing the old>new card.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,052

Post#92 » by AleksandarN » Sun May 12, 2024 8:16 pm

IG2 wrote:

Shouldn’t diminish the people that actually watched the games in the 80s and 90s.
Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 617

Post#93 » by Showtime 80 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:08 pm

IG2 wrote:The NBA has basically reverted back to pre-2005 rules since the AS break and essentially pre-1995 rules in these playoffs. And guess what, ORTG is still higher than it's ever been pre-2019. Which is what I kept saying when people kept crying about the rules. Yes, ORTG will comparatively go down and more physicality will definitely lead to a better on-court product and viewing experience, but ORTG will still be higher than it's ever been pre-2019. And that's because offenses are just better today.

Still not as physical and the intimidation factor for players going down the lane and getting their head caved in is non existent. Couple that with legal moving screens, lax dribbling rules, every team playing fast templo while chucking 40 3’s and they should have the highest offensive ratings.

Play an entire 82 game season with ALL of the 1990 rules and then come and comment.

Heck I would really enjoy seeing offenses crater to their lowest point if you went back to 1979 rules and took away that gimmick 3 point line which I’m certain the 80’s/90’s players would have no problem succeeding under while 80% of the modern players would be out of a job :lol:
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#94 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun May 12, 2024 10:00 pm

Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:Ok. You want playoff rugby? Bulls vs bad boy Pistons. Knicks vs heat. Now THATS rugby

You brushed of the All-star game as non proof. So i gave you playoff proof. That stuff was routine. Roughing guys up to throw them off their game. Guys like Brunson would have eaten several hard fouls by now. They weren't called flagrants either. Those were just hard playoff common fouls.
You.do realise ratings cratered for those series.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,167

Post#95 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 12, 2024 11:37 pm

RB34 wrote:The refs have been good at allowing a certain level of physicality, they just have to make sure it’s consistent across the board.

You can’t have a game like g2 of Denver v Wolves then have a game where you’re calling touch fouls.

The late Tommy Heinsohn had an apt phrase: "Sneeze fouls".
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#96 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 12, 2024 11:40 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:Most of the people grumbling about physicality have no idea what they're talking about. Their memories of the past are fogged by 30-40 years of passing time, and they haven't really paid attention to the modern game. It's a critique based highlights not real games, and it's a praise of a fictitious nostalgic past. There is also a lot of failure to understand the physical challenges of the modern game. Needing to defend the entire half court instead of just the paint is a huge change, that requires much more effort and it's just ignored when people start crying about the modern game being too soft.

This guy gets it. Aside from the fouls from from the Bad Boys, the 80s was softer than what we're seeing during these playoffs IMO.

Overstated.

Battling for post position and also rebound position was a lot more intense (and in the case of post position also a lot more common) than it is now.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#97 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 12, 2024 11:42 pm

And while it's fair to be skeptical of outlier plays, I can't resist posting:

Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#98 » by Johnny Bball » Sun May 12, 2024 11:53 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:Lmao really? Your proof is an exhibition game that means nothing? That's a poor example.

Rule changes to make the NBA less physical, eliminate fights, decrease post play and make players smaller and more readily available/larger pool, increase perimeter scoring...they were all made decades ago. Speeches from the commissioner and committee reps to decrease the physicality were made decades ago. Players in the early 2000s said the game had gotten soft in comparison, not only just yesterday.

Nobody wants a rugby match, but that's a straw man. The NBA is less physical than it used to be. If someone is calling your generation soft, stop taking it personal and stop trying to denigrate previous and retired players because you think that solves it.

But what you are watching now is not "ultra physical", by any comparison, and it isn't any proof at all.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#99 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon May 13, 2024 12:59 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:Ok. You want playoff rugby? Bulls vs bad boy Pistons. Knicks vs heat. Now THATS rugby

Rule changes to make the NBA less physical, eliminate fights, decrease post play and make players smaller and more readily available/larger pool, increase perimeter scoring...they were all made decades ago. Speeches from the commissioner and committee reps to decrease the physicality were made decades ago. Players in the early 2000s said the game had gotten soft in comparison, not only just yesterday.

Nobody wants a rugby match, but that's a straw man. The NBA is less physical than it used to be. If someone is calling your generation soft, stop taking it personal and stop trying to denigrate previous and retired players because you think that solves it.

But what you are watching now is not "ultra physical", by any comparison, and it isn't any proof at all.

Yes it is.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#100 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 13, 2024 1:07 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:so a few series from back then is proof that the NBA was very physical then? I guess the few series we have seen this year that have been ultra physical is proof of how physical the modern NBA is.

Yes it is.

So what were they changing decades prior? You see smaller players at PF, C. The word tweener isn't even used anymore. You see more perimeter scoring. You see a restricted area instead of none, you have a flagrant foul rule. You get longer and less contested rebounds because of all the threes being shot. But none of these matter, because, "you got proof", but nothing of substance to back it up, except, yes it is. Okay then.

Like I said, get over thinking you are personally reflective of generational changes. Or trying to just stir up ****.

Return to The General Board