2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
48%
Wolves
52%

Total votes: 178

nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,554

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6461 » by nbafan38 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:13 pm

This series is so confusing. Minnesota literally looked like the best team ever in games 1 and 2 and couldn't even compete at home. Maybe Murray got healthier or the Nuggets just found a second gear but I have no idea to read this series.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,821

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6462 » by MarcusBrody » Mon May 13, 2024 6:19 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:

It shouldn't have been a surprise for Minnesota in game 4. Denver did it a bit in game 3 already, with Braun too. I wonder how Minnesota counters. Just get back and set the defense at half court? Put McDaniels on the ball handler in the back court?

they need to stop screwing around, just put Gobert on Jokic. they're getting way too fancy for their own good

What would this accomplish? The Nuggets tend to thrive when the rim protector is on Jokic as he can drag him wherever and engage him while everyone else cuts. The Wolves do have more other bigs than other teams, but no one is nearly the help defender/rim deterrent that Gobert is. Plus, it's not like Jokic seems to have a particular difficult time with Gobert playing man on him historically. I'm not saying he's a bad option to guard Jokic - he'd likely do as well as anyone - but he isn't a major plus on him and you lose him as a major plus help defender.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#6463 » by jc23 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:23 pm

nbafan38 wrote:This series is so confusing. Minnesota literally looked like the best team ever in games 1 and 2 and couldn't even compete at home. Maybe Murray got healthier or the Nuggets just found a second gear but I have no idea to read this series.

it would help if tv had nba analyst's on to break down why the series has changed. Most of the people that get talking time are nothing but entertainers.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,136

Post#6464 » by Exp0sed » Mon May 13, 2024 6:37 pm

MarcusBrody wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
nomansland wrote:
It shouldn't have been a surprise for Minnesota in game 4. Denver did it a bit in game 3 already, with Braun too. I wonder how Minnesota counters. Just get back and set the defense at half court? Put McDaniels on the ball handler in the back court?

they need to stop screwing around, just put Gobert on Jokic. they're getting way too fancy for their own good

What would this accomplish? The Nuggets tend to thrive when the rim protector is on Jokic as he can drag him wherever and engage him while everyone else cuts. The Wolves do have more other bigs than other teams, but no one is nearly the help defender/rim deterrent that Gobert is. Plus, it's not like Jokic seems to have a particular difficult time with Gobert playing man on him historically. I'm not saying he's a bad option to guard Jokic - he'd likely do as well as anyone - but he isn't a major plus on him and you lose him as a major plus help defender.

I think it'll be better for them, let Jokic drag him out and let them play one on one, stay glued to the shooters and the cutters.
they are fixated on Jokic and trying to anticipate when to give help and they lose sight of their counterparts

yes, Jokic can score one on one vs. Gobert but he doesn't really like to play that way and everyone is cold and out of rhytm forcing the shots they do get when the Nuggets are forced to play this way. letting Jokic conduct the orchestra and feeding everyone is a mistake imo. they should let him go for 50, his stamina is superb but there will always be a tradeoff, if he's forced to dribble 7 times on each possesion, faking, taking alot of shots - that's less energy he has to expend on the defensive end too and it means he finishes most possesions close to the basket and needing to get down the length of the court

if that really proves futile they should probably just go with Naz in his place, at least they'll have decent spacing and Naz can put the ball on the floor too
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#6465 » by stoo » Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 pm

jc23 wrote:
nbafan38 wrote:This series is so confusing. Minnesota literally looked like the best team ever in games 1 and 2 and couldn't even compete at home. Maybe Murray got healthier or the Nuggets just found a second gear but I have no idea to read this series.

it would help if tv had nba analyst's on to break down why the series has changed. Most of the people that get talking time are nothing but entertainers.

there are a lot of good analysts, but you will not find them on popular tv shows and gils arena
NotSinceWilt
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#6466 » by jc23 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm

stoo wrote:
jc23 wrote:

there are a lot of good analysts, but you will not find them on popular tv shows and gils arena

Listening to a podcast with Legs right now.
Be curious, Not judgmental
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,821

Post#6467 » by MarcusBrody » Mon May 13, 2024 7:00 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:

I think it'll be better for them, let Jokic drag him out and let them play one on one, stay glued to the shooters and the cutters.
they are fixated on Jokic and trying to anticipate when to give help and they lose sight of their counterparts

yes, Jokic can score one on one vs. Gobert but he doesn't really like to play that way and everyone is cold and out of rhytm forcing the shots they do get when the Nuggets are forced to play this way. letting Jokic conduct the orchestra and feeding everyone is a mistake imo. they should let him go for 50, his stamina is superb but there will always be a tradeoff, if he's forced to dribble 7 times on each possesion, faking, taking alot of shots - that's less energy he has to expend on the defensive end too and it means he finishes most possesions close to the basket and needing to get down the length of the court

if that really proves futile they should probably just go with Naz in his place, at least they'll have decent spacing and Naz can put the ball on the floor too

I just don't see why putting Gobert on Jokic will lead to forcing Jokic to be a scorer. Jokic necessitating a double team/help defender in the low post is only one of the many ways that they get guys open. It's often a move they do in high leverage situations to get Jokic a bucket/lob for Gordon, but more often their offense starts with Jokic in the high post and he quickly receives and circulates the ball while often also being a screener. Having Gobert stick to Jokic there (and likely have to hedge those screens) is actually going to make it more space for the Nuggets cutters. That is - in my view - why the TWolves are so hesitant to do it.

Jokic will - every so often - try to post up and score on Gobert, as showing his ability to do so invites teams to double and so compromise their defense - but I don't see that as his first inclination if the Wolves put Rudy on him. Jokic will move up to the high post/top of the key and draw Rudy away from the basket then playmake from there.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,634

Post#6468 » by Mrakar » Mon May 13, 2024 7:09 pm

I rewatched game again and there is some things i noticed.
- Gordon was brining the ball and playmaking a lot in first half, and to be honest it looked far better then i would anticipate.
- When Jokic was posting up, shooter on his side was cutting under the basket to draw away the help defender which they didnt do a lot in first 3 games.
- great game by Nuggets bench, Braun is looking better and better and Holidays shooting is great. Didnt expect that in this series.

This is probably and hopefully going to game 7. Games are great, Wolves should still play with their heads up. IMO they should have played Reid more in this game, Towns was off and they couldnt stop the Nuggets anyway, so may as well put all the cards on offense and play him instead of Gobert at the end.
NAW is looking like Pelicans NAW, 0 on offense. If refs don't allow that extra contact in game 5, he shouldnt play a lot of minutes.

Its now BO3 series and i cant wait for the next game.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,722

Post#6469 » by shi-woo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:14 pm

stoo wrote:
jc23 wrote:

Maybe in the podcast space or something, but the majority of "analysts" calling games are really just commentators and hype men. I'm just curious to who these analysts are, and if they are in mainstream spaces? I'm genuinely interested.

I've been watching ball religiously since 2003, and still have never heart an analyst break a play down outside of a basic triangle principle, or the elevator screen when the Warriors were crushing teams with it.

You would think basketball was just a pick up game if you were a casual. Bball is by far the worst at this compared to every other major sport, from Soccer to Hockey, and Football makes it a joke in comparison.

You have JJ Redick shooting through his pants every game now for introducing the world to "The Gortat screen" and has brought it up like 5 times this playoffs just to sound like he knows what he's talking about :lol: Imagine how poorly educated your fanbase has to be for peoples minds to get blown with a variation of the most popular play in the history of the sport :lol:
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,040

Post#6470 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

MarcusBrody wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
nomansland wrote:

“I got 47 brother”
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#6471 » by stoo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:17 pm

shi-woo wrote:
stoo wrote:
jc23 wrote:

Maybe in the podcast space or something, but the majority of "analysts" calling games are really just commentators and hype men. I'm just curious to who these analysts are, and if they are in mainstream spaces? I'm genuinely interested.

I've been watching ball religiously since 2003, and still have never heart an analyst break a play down outside of a basic triangle principle, or the elevator screen when the Warriors were crushing teams with it.

You would think basketball was just a pick up game if you were a casual. Bball is by far the worst at this compared to every other major sport, from Soccer to Hockey, and Football makes it a joke in comparison.

You have JJ Redick shooting through his pants every game now for introducing the world to "The Gortat screen" and has brought it up like 5 times this playoffs just to sound like he knows what he's talking about :lol: Imagine how poorly educated your fanbase has to be for peoples minds to get blown with a variation of the most popular play in the history of the sport :lol:

yes. mostly podcasts. JJ redick is ok tho. Legler iis good. he also has an All NBA podcast with Adam Mares (nuggets guy), which is no bull podcast. Guy from hoops tonight is fine and nerd sesh guys that work with him
NotSinceWilt
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,040

Post#6472 » by AleksandarN » Mon May 13, 2024 7:20 pm

AleksandarN wrote:This is pretty sick coming from Twolves media. I mean it is sick. I get some people don’t like Murray but this is reaching the bottom of barrel type.

Read on Twitter

No one commenting on wolves fan/media wanting Jamal to be laid out in the next game. Purposely trying to injury him. That’s pretty low
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,676

Post#6473 » by nomansland » Mon May 13, 2024 7:20 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:

I wish they would. Jokic will chew him up and he'll be in foul trouble.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#6474 » by nomansland » Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 pm

jc23 wrote:

Absolutely. Even a lot of the former players can't be counted on for good analysis.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#6475 » by nomansland » Mon May 13, 2024 7:25 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:This is pretty sick coming from Twolves media. I mean it is sick. I get some people don’t like Murray but this is reaching the bottom of barrel type.

Read on Twitter

No one commenting on wolves fan/media wanting Jamal to be laid out in the next game. Purposely trying to injury him. That’s pretty low

Thing is, if Minnesota tries to do that and foul the F out of Murray, it's not going to be for their benefit unless they really hurt him. Murray's tough.

If they tried to do that it'd just result in lots of FT's for Murray and minutes for SloMo and McLaughlin. Minnesota definitely doesn't want that.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,968

Post#6476 » by nikster » Mon May 13, 2024 7:34 pm

One big adjustment that likely helped Murray is having someone else bring up the ball. They were hounding him full court, so having AG or KCP bring up the ball makes it much easier on him. That plus some improvements in health is likely part of the reason he is looking better
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,155

Post#6477 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 13, 2024 8:51 pm

I love series that end up 2-2 where neither team has won at home.
It always means all the knee-jerk reactions were clueless, and we have no idea what to expect going into the final stage of this series.

We've seen both teams punch each other in the mouth and have each other look "figured out". Coaches have already made their big swing adjustments and now need to scrape for little edges and hope for random blips of shooting luck.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,155

Post#6478 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm

nikster wrote:

One big adjustment that likely helped Murray is having someone else bring up the ball. They were hounding him full court, so having AG or KCP bring up the ball makes it much easier on him. That plus some improvements in health is likely part of the reason he is looking better

Aaron Gordon bringing up the ball was simple but genius. He has an underrated functional handle, and Minnesota's defense was set up to deal with him as a finisher rather than an initiator. Denver basically found the spot our defense was putting the least pressure, and reconfigured around it to stop us from gaining immediate advantage with our ball pressure.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Inspektor1312
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,363

Post#6479 » by Inspektor1312 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:22 pm

What a series so far... That Game 2 was the most embarrassing game by Denver since Nikola got into MVP mode like 5 years ago, Minny absolutely dismantled them, but what a comeback by the champs!

Great adjustments by Coach Malone, and great execution by the "other guys".
AG was the MVP of Game 4. It's incredible to see just how much that dude improved in every facet of his game since coming to Denver. Seems like the antithesis of someone like Lavine.

I was convinced the Nuggs had them in 6, even after the first game, but no way this Minny team is losing 4 straight, so I guess it's Denver in 7 now :lol:

And I just wanna say, It's so awesome not having one or two superteams that have a guaranteed a spot in the finals unless they get injured.
Hopefully that trend keeps dying out as Lebron, KD and the rest of the "ship-jumping" generation retires.

Cheers friends, we're witnessing great basketball.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#6480 » by bb22 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:55 pm

Minny doesn’t have to make adjustments on D. They just have to bring back their intensity on both ends and play like the underdogs again. You’re not stopping Jokic no matter who brings the ball up or who you stick on him. You just gotta hope AG and the bench doesn’t go off again and get average games from Jamal and MPJ.

Return to The General Board