2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,305

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#4161 » by Archx » Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 am

CodeBreaker wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:Luka needs to take his fitness seriously this offseason. Absolutely unacceptable to be overweigh as a professional.

He lost alot of weight when the season started this year. I don't know what happened

It's literally incredible how an athlete of his calibre and TALENT gains so much weight over the NBA season. You play literally non stop but can't stay in shape? This lazy MF will end up as one of the biggest "what if" stories if this continues. He's usually on vacation for like 2 months and works out for a week or two. It's so ridiculous how his body breaks down all the time....
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,606

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#4162 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:41 am

Read on Twitter
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 6,250

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#4163 » by Doranku » Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am

As someone heavily rooting for the Mavs, gotta tip the hat to SGA. Pretty much singlehandedly stole the game and probably the series from the Mavs. Ridiculous shotmaking and ISO scoring. He is easily the 2nd best player in the NBA.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4164 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:58 am

Can’t quite make out what Jalen’s saying

Read on Twitter
Handlez
Junior
And1: 655

Post#4165 » by Handlez » Tue May 14, 2024 11:14 am

Luka...just speechless.

Now I'm not convinced it's mostly injury.

He moves well defensively and looks fine physically at times.

He's just been abysmal.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#4166 » by MMyhre » Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 am

azcatz11 wrote:
zero rings wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Like what ?

Apparently he's a big beer drinker.

His face is all bloated. He needs to quit the booze and he’ll be good to go imo

He probably gets Cortisone shots or another corticosteroid for the pain and swelling in his knee - man made cortisol :

"To reduce inflammation, steroids suppress the immune system and alter the body’s natural chemistry. In the process, they change the electrolyte and water balance, and the way the body uses and stores carbohydrates, proteins, fats and glucose. These changes can result in fluid retention, increased appetite and increased fat deposits, especially in the face, neck and abdomen."

Other potential factors since he has probably been taking these corticosteroids for his knee for a while =
"Disruption of the workings of the pituitary and adrenal glands may occur where long periods of high-dose corticosteroids have severely decreased the body’s natural cortisol production". And when we dont produce it ourselves, it can increase ADH which causes heavy water retention :

"Hyponatremia is often seen in patients with adrenal insufficiency, which is caused by an inappropriate increase in vasopressin secretion/action due to cortisol deficiency [4] and inability to excrete free water. Cortisol deficiency results in increased hypothalamic secretion of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH), an ADH secretagogue. Cortisol feeds back negatively on CRH and ACTH, an inhibitory effect that is removed with adrenal insufficiency. In addition, cortisol appears to directly suppress ADH secretion. Thus, ADH levels increase when plasma cortisol levels are low."

"In hyponatremia, one or more factors — ranging from an underlying medical condition to drinking too much water — cause the sodium in your body to become diluted. When this happens, your body's water levels rise, and your cells begin to swell. This swelling can cause many health problems, from mild to life-threatening"

Likely to be one of these causes or some combinations + eating too much salt, sugar, I doubt he is so unprofessional as to drink in the playoffs, just general stress and inflammation blabla++ - but I dont know how fast the body stops producing cortisol itself, and if it still causes these ADH and fluid retention side effects if there is no natural production but synthetic cortisol in the bloodstream blabla ++ - interesting stuff regardless.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,544

Post#4167 » by CodeBreaker » Tue May 14, 2024 11:28 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude is a midrange god. Reminds me of 2021 Kawhi
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,339

Post#4168 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 am

My guy PJ needs some help out there
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#4169 » by MMyhre » Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

CodeBreaker wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude is a midrange god. Reminds me of 2021 Kawhi

Using those long arms well, high, consistent and very stable release. Tough.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#4170 » by sunsbg » Tue May 14, 2024 11:42 am

Archx wrote:
CodeBreaker wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:Luka needs to take his fitness seriously this offseason. Absolutely unacceptable to be overweigh as a professional.

He lost alot of weight when the season started this year. I don't know what happened

It's literally incredible how an athlete of his calibre and TALENT gains so much weight over the NBA season. You play literally non stop but can't stay in shape? This lazy MF will end up as one of the biggest "what if" stories if this continues. He's usually on vacation for like 2 months and works out for a week or two. It's so ridiculous how his body breaks down all the time....

The insane usage rate at such young age was always going to be a problem later in his career. Having a great start of your career coming in the league with advanced skills and 27yo looking body, doesn't mean one can sustain it. It takes a toll on the body especially with his play style. Going forward he should trust his teammates more and try to improve off ball skills. GOAT expectations were never realistic, but he can still win MVPs and titles without dominating the ball so much.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#4171 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 11:51 am

Mavs threw that one away with ft shooting
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#4172 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 am

sunsbg wrote:
Archx wrote:
CodeBreaker wrote:He lost alot of weight when the season started this year. I don't know what happened

The insane usage rate at such young age was always going to be a problem later in his career. Having a great start of your career coming in the league with advanced skills and 27yo looking body, doesn't mean one can sustain it. It takes a toll on the body especially with his play style. Going forward he should trust his teammates more and try to improve off ball skills. GOAT expectations were never realistic, but he can still win MVPs and titles without dominating the ball so much.

He’s nowhere near as fit as he might be

That’s not a 27 yo looking body

It’s a lack of discipline
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,756

Post#4173 » by srhcan » Tue May 14, 2024 11:56 am

Even if Mavs somehow beat OKC in this series, they are mental midget and do not stand a chance against Nuggets
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,209

Post#4174 » by sunsbg » Tue May 14, 2024 12:05 pm

Decipher wrote:

He had 27yo looking body when he came into the league. Back then I said he'll probably look 30+ in his mid 20s.

I was warned by a doctor about a medicine that has effect on the face. Don't remember what type as I didn't have to take it in the end, but like others I guess that's the case with Luka at the moment. That said he has undoubtedly diet problems too.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,544

Post#4175 » by CodeBreaker » Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm

Decipher wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Archx wrote:

thought he had GOAT potential, maybe I was wrong.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,545

Post#4176 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 14, 2024 12:35 pm

With all the talk (and overreaction) i think we can expect Fat Luka to drop 50 points in Game 5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,278

Post#4177 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 12:40 pm

Major props to SGA for getting to his spot and knocking down every shot down the stretch. Incredible. And to the two defensive guards Dort and Wallace making big 3's late.

OKC made the plays and Dallas didn't. Hurts to have let that one get away, but full credit to OKC for taking that game.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4178 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:50 pm

I’m trusting you all to be able to handle this

Read on Twitter
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,768

Post#4179 » by Bergmaniac » Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm

Pretty amazing that the Thunder managed to pull this one off with JDub being horrendous all game and everyone on the team bricking their 3s their first 3 quarters. SGA is an incredible tough shot maker, he maintains a high efficiency even in games like this one where he has to resort to tough midrange shots over and over again due to the lack of spacing.
jourdy
Starter
And1: 970

Post#4180 » by jourdy » Tue May 14, 2024 1:03 pm

Watching the game in the 3rd qtr, I already knew OKC would come back and win. Just a gut feel with how sloppy Dallas was playing after that great first quarter.

Big props to Shai in that 4th quarter, I had Kawhi flashbacks from 2021.

Watching this Dallas team miss half the FTs is so disappointing. During the whole Dirk era, FTs were something I never had doubts over. But when Luka was at the line and had an opportunity to tie, I just knew he was going to miss at least 1.

I know Luka is injured and doesn't have the moves he usually does getting separation from his defender or blowing by them with his change of pace - but he shouldn't demand the ball in terrible positioning. He was a turnover machine in this game. That last turnover by Hardaway that led to the JDub layup was the stupidest TO I've seen in this playoffs. No space by the sideline and he demands the ball from Hardaway which was easily stolen!

Dallas lost this game with their terrible FTs but also lost the rebounding edge that made them win games 2 and 3. OKC was just quicker to the ball, and seeing Luka limp his way to close out on one of those OKC threes in a close game. He had no chance. Maybe someday he will start taking his conditioning better.

Return to The General Board