2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,296

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#4181 » by Calvin Klein » Tue May 14, 2024 1:15 pm

so much hate everywhere
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,124

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#4182 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 14, 2024 1:27 pm

I think if I'm Kidd I try to limit Luka to 35 minutes a game tops which will be difficult I admit, but he just can't give 40+. Let most of those minutes sitting be in the first half however you've got to do it. You'll probably give up some points during the time he's sitting but the way he's playing he's worn out in the second half so you're losing points at the end of games anyway.

I've been seeing it even during the regular season when he was healthy he would just toy with teams in the first half score 18 but Kyrie would be the closer in the 4th quarter not Luka because Luka had nothing left.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#4183 » by homecourtloss » Tue May 14, 2024 1:43 pm

jourdy wrote:Watching the game in the 3rd qtr, I already knew OKC would come back and win. Just a gut feel with how sloppy Dallas was playing after that great first quarter

At the half, Dallas was 9-21 on threes and OKC 1-11, yet it was only an 11 point game, so you knew OKC would start making a few and the game could likely turn. That lead should have been 16-18 with the type of defense the Mavs played, and the good luck they had in the open misses on corner threes by OKC’s shooters.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,784

Post#4184 » by Harry Garris » Tue May 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:so much hate everywhere

The playoffs this year are bringing out the worst in us
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,359

Post#4185 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 2:54 pm

As a Mavs fan I just don't know how to process playoff games where Luka simply isn't capable of riding to the rescue. But unlike those who are killing him for it, I respect him even more for getting out there and competing like crazy knowing his offensive numbers are going to look bad and people are going to criticize him.

This is what superstars should do. Play hurt(if they aren't risking worse injury) and give your team everything they have. They are clearly better with him on the court than off so kudos to him for gutting this out.

We've seen lots of stars who don't want the hit to their legacy or are embarrassed if their numbers don't look great and so they sit out of games they could help their team. Luka refuses to do that.

now why Kyrie didn't ride to the rescue last night..... I'm so used to Kyrie doing what SGA did--just no matter what the defense tries, getting to his spot and knocking down every shot.

What a great series though.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,485

Post#4186 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue May 14, 2024 3:04 pm

Maybe its just me, but are Mavs fans not frustrated by the lack of shot attempts from Kyrie? In no world should one of the most talented scorers in league history be taking fewer than 15 shots a game. Mavs need to lighten the load on the Luka and let Kyrie cook in game 5.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,359

Post#4187 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:Maybe its just me, but are Mavs fans not frustrated by the lack of shot attempts from Kyrie? In no world should one of the most talented scorers in league history be taking fewer than 15 shots a game. Mavs need to lighten the load on the Luka and let Kyrie cook in game 5.

I feel like Kyrie could score 40 any night he wanted.

And I wish he was just selfish in the 4th last night, but he was so good creating for others last night its hard to fault him for making the correct play over and over instead of hunting his own.

But yeah I want him to pull Luka aside and say this is your team, this will always be your team, I have deferred all year and will next year again, but you aren't right, let me do this for you for now. And then just cook.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,731

Post#4188 » by Bob8 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:29 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:As a Mavs fan I just don't know how to process playoff games where Luka simply isn't capable of riding to the rescue. But unlike those who are killing him for it, I respect him even more for getting out there and competing like crazy knowing his offensive numbers are going to look bad and people are going to criticize him.

This is what superstars should do. Play hurt(if they aren't risking worse injury) and give your team everything they have. They are clearly better with him on the court than off so kudos to him for gutting this out.

We've seen lots of stars who don't want the hit to their legacy or are embarrassed if their numbers don't look great and so they sit out of games they could help their team. Luka refuses to do that.

now why Kyrie didn't ride to the rescue last night..... I'm so used to Kyrie doing what SGA did--just no matter what the defense tries, getting to his spot and knocking down every shot.

What a great series though.

Kyrie explained after the game, that they have forced him to make the pass. They're guarding him extremely well, pack the paint and then you have Chet for rim protection. He just can't get shots he normally does, not only in last game.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,355

Post#4189 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 14, 2024 3:30 pm

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,622

Post#4190 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Cason did a nice job at Kyrie towards the end when Kyrie has been doing his best work, though those penetration moves to dump it off to the big were also deadly throughout. I think that’s one reason though that you don’t want Kyrie to wait to start going for it.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,016

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#4191 » by Dirk » Tue May 14, 2024 3:45 pm

This was like a reverse version of that THJr 3pointer in G2, where you knew that was that team's day.

60/21/10
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#4192 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:55 pm

Dirk wrote:This was like a reverse version of that THJr 3pointer in G2, where you knew that was that team's day.

Hardaway missed one I think late in the fourth that I was positive was going in as a mini dagger and that’s when I started feeling good about the game.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#4193 » by slick_watts » Tue May 14, 2024 4:06 pm

imo this series would be 3-1, at worst, if the thunder had replaced josh giddey in the starting lineup from the beginning. there are some teams that are just keyed into him and dallas is one of those teams. the thunder starters were -5pp100 during the regular season against dallas, and that's despite the mavs missing luka one game and kyrie in another. it was known what the mavs would do defensively, and that has manifested every time. josh giddey leads the thunder in usage rate when he's on the court with the starters- by a significant amount. replacing him with any of aaron wiggins, isaiah joe, cason wallace, even kenrich williams would alleviate so much defensive pressure from shai- dallas has been eviscerated in this series by all other thunder lineups besides the starting one. even other ones that josh giddey has been present for!
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4194 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 pm

slick_watts wrote:imo this series would be 3-1, at worst, if the thunder had replaced josh giddey in the starting lineup from the beginning. there are some teams that are just keyed into him and dallas is one of those teams. the thunder starters were -5pp100 during the regular season against dallas, and that's despite the mavs missing luka one game and kyrie in another. it was known what the mavs would do defensively, and that has manifested every time. josh giddey leads the thunder in usage rate when he's on the court with the starters- by a significant amount. replacing him with any of aaron wiggins, isaiah joe, cason wallace, even kenrich williams would alleviate so much defensive pressure from shai- dallas has been eviscerated in this series by all other thunder lineups besides the starting one. even other ones that josh giddey has been present for!

I am happy Kenrich got some burn because even if he doesn't show up in the box score this is a good series for him.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,436

Post#4195 » by Lunartic » Tue May 14, 2024 5:47 pm

What if Luka isn't injured and he's just a horrible, horrible NBA player with no redeeming qualities or basketball skills?

We need to consider all reasonable possiblities
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#4196 » by Devilanche » Tue May 14, 2024 5:49 pm

Lunartic wrote:What if Luka isn't injured and he's just a horrible, horrible NBA player with no redeeming qualities or basketball skills?

That’s a lunatic take!

Sorry - just had to do that based on your username.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,355

Post#4197 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 14, 2024 5:56 pm

Lunartic wrote:What if Luka isn't injured and he's just a horrible, horrible NBA player with no redeeming qualities or basketball skills?

I wouldn't stop there. What if he has no redeeming qualities or skills not only as a basketball player but as a human being on this planet?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,436

Post#4198 » by Lunartic » Tue May 14, 2024 6:07 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

I wouldn't stop there. What if he has no redeeming qualities or skills not only as a basketball player but as a human being on this planet?

What if...it's actually unfair that Dallas be able to host games due to the elevation of 420ft? That's insane that we allow these people play in the clouds whilst the rest of us have to play on the ground like plebs.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#4199 » by slick_watts » Tue May 14, 2024 6:17 pm

here's a list of every playoff season with > 50 rim contests and < 50% fg allowed since 2024. three of these players are in this series.

The Servant
Senior
And1: 717

Post#4200 » by The Servant » Tue May 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:so much hate everywhere

The playoffs this year are bringing out the worst in us

I dont remember it ever being this bad. The Wolves were crowned Champs, Mavs were going to steam roll as well and both series were over.

Now it's 2-2 and they're both best of 3s.

Return to The General Board