JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams]

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who's going to be the new Lakers head coach?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

JJ Redick
33%
James Borrego
5%
Sam Cassell
39%
David Adelman
5%
Micah Nori
5%
Chris Quinn
5%
Other (mention in reply)
9%

Total votes: 64

PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,456

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#81 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 11:22 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Okay.

But the issues here are the same. Nash got that job because KD liked him for their time together at Golden State. Nash didn't get the job because he was qualified, he got it because KD wanted him to get it.

And then he clearly wasn't up for the job he got. Doesn't mean Nash can't ever be a good head coach or that JJ can't now or in the future, but I hate the process.

It's not like it had no precedent though. Jason Kidd and Steve Kerr got HC jobs without ever being Assistants. In Kerr's case, it worked out extremely well. Nash's Basketball IQ is off the charts and he was known as a connector and leader throughout his career, it wasn't a stretch to think those qualities would translate over well to coaching.

Kerr had worked in TV which was a real showcase for his basketball intellect. And he wasn't ever a star player which tends to help. Often times the stars can't relate to those who don't have their gifts.

And I think most would agree Kidd wasn't ready for the job. He's admitted as much himself and about how much he learned having to swallow his pride and be an assistant in LA. And frankly most still consider him one of the worst head coaches, right?

Again this isn't about whether or not Nash can be a good coach or not. Or about JJ. It's about a flawed process where you aren't evaluating candidates on their merits but simply hiring the guy the star wants. That might work of course. But there has to be a better way to choose a coach.

By saying Kerr wasn't a star and that he worked in TV as reasoning for his qualifications, you're making the case for Redick who was not a star either and has years of Podcast and TV experience.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,597

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#82 » by MrGoat » Wed May 15, 2024 2:43 am

Lakers should go with someone with prior experience dealing with huge egos. So... Steve Nash
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,972

Post#83 » by One_and_Done » Wed May 15, 2024 2:47 am

Borrego isn't a real candidate. He's being mentioned a favour to his agent.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,176

Post#84 » by HMFFL » Wed May 15, 2024 2:48 am

JJ Reddick is the perfect fit for the Lakers.
He's outspoken and provide us with some interesting takes.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#85 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 15, 2024 4:09 am

Texas Chuck wrote:LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.
Giggles?!? Sounds like you are a JJ lover cause of his hot looks. That's fine but it doesn't mean he can coach since he never done that before. Sorry.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,321

Post#86 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2024 4:15 am

Love to see so many Cassell proponents. I think he'll be really good. Back to his playing days he was always teaching and his teams were always good.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,696

Post#87 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:58 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:Sam Cassell is going to be an elite head coach some day. I wanted the Clippers to get him few years ago. He’s a strategic minded coach, no nonsense guy. He won’t hesitate to go after entitled stars.

Well that should work out great then.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,050

Post#88 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed May 15, 2024 5:15 am

Capn'O wrote:Love to see so many Cassell proponents. I think he'll be really good. Back to his playing days he was always teaching and his teams were always good.

He’s my favorite Clipper of all time after Blake. He wasn’t there long, but the confidence he brought to that young team and the composure was amazing. The 06 team is one of the most underrated teams ever man. They pushed the Suns to the limits and really sucks Cassell had that 8 second violation.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,552

Post#89 » by durden_tyler » Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 am

Hopefully it’s Reddick so that the Lakers get stuck in mediocrity for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,041

Post#90 » by Curmudgeon » Wed May 15, 2024 9:02 am

durden_tyler wrote:Hopefully it’s Reddick so that the Lakers get stuck in mediocrity for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will be stuck in mediocrity for years no matter who they hire, unless LeBron finds some magical youth serum.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 446

Post#91 » by Doug_12 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:11 am

It should be Budenholzer or Vogel, not that they are generational talent or anything, but they are way more accomplished and probably skilled also, than anyone mentioned above.

Sadly, they probably won't even pick up the phone for us

Edit: Bud was taken last week..
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,875

Post#92 » by Deivork » Wed May 15, 2024 10:37 am

Don't take Redick, Lakers. Also, Redick don't pick that. Your podcasts have been very refreshing and I don't wanna lose that.

Return to The General Board