Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time)

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,766

Re: Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time) 

Post#41 » by toooskies » Wed May 15, 2024 1:14 am

jfs1000d wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:Official agility, speed, and power numbers:

Zach Edey

Lane agility time: 11.19 seconds
Shuttle run: 3.01 seconds
Three quarter sprint: 3.42 seconds
Standing vertical leap: 26"
Max vertical leap: 31.5"

Donovan Clingan

Lane agility time: 12.06 seconds
Shuttle run: 3.38 seconds
Three quarter sprint: 3.46 seconds
Standing vertical leap: 25.5"
Max vertical leap: 29"

Zach beat him in every category despite being two inches taller and weighing 17 pounds more. The lane agility and shuttle run weren't even close. Zach legitimately had the fourth and sixth-best times in those tests out of all the centers. Consider his size, stamina, and durability and he's a legitimate athletic freak.

His numbers were amazing last year and he just took it to another level this time around.

Clingan still going hire.

Edey’s instincts and reaction time aren’t there. Donovan also more mobile and a better passer.

We;ll see. I like Eddy. But if you think he is better for the NBA than Clingan then you are saying he should be the No. 1 pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, he did put up 37 points on Clingan on 25 shots in the title game.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#42 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 15, 2024 2:18 am

seanbig wrote:His read and react isn’t tested in that test

But if he can hit the three then that will be HUGE

This.

Not having to react to the player you are defending his huge. You can totally practice running this drill.

And I'm from Lafayette, IN. and a total Boilers fan.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,499

Post#43 » by D.Brasco » Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 am

Prince187 wrote:If he wasn’t some half Asian half white guy from Canada he’d be a lock for the lottery. He’s got range too. He came in 5th place during the 3 point shooting drill

Another example of institutional canadianophobia.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,951

Post#44 » by Perishable517 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 am

peZt wrote:That's why numbers dont mean anything. I really dont get americans obsession with the combine. What exactly do these numbers change? You've had 4 years to watch this dude, why would any numbers change what he has shown in those 4 years?

These numbers and the combine can be helpful for players who nobody has ever seen. To give you a hint about his game, if you dont have any other points to go by. But you've had a chance to watch all this guys play. You know if he is fast enough or not.

I really dont get it.

Why do people give a damn about someone's official wingspan in the combine? They believe wingspan measurements can give you a hint wether they can defend or not. But you have seen him play. You already know the answer. Why would an official measurement change anything about how that particular player defended the last 4 years?
Look at his tape of the last 4 years. Was he a good defender? Did his length give him struggles defending? That's your answer to the question, not some meaningless numbers from the combine. Or do you think he will suddenly be a different player because his measurements turned out good? It's not the measurements that matter, its the product on the court
C'maaan man, that makes way too much sense!

Sent from my CPH2417 using RealGM mobile app
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,254

Post#45 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed May 15, 2024 3:14 am

Edey should model his game after Brook Lopez. He was considered a slow lumbering big with a good post game who was about to phased out of the league, then he developed a 3 point shot and with a little bit of luck by playing with one of the most gifted specimen in Giannis, now he’s a vital piece for a contender.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,936

Post#46 » by giberish » Wed May 15, 2024 3:39 am

Defensive quickness is partly from basic physical abilities and partly due to how well you and read and anticipate opposing offenses. The combine marks show that Edey has the physical ability needed to be effective in the NBA. What is doesn't answer is how well he can read and react to opposing offenses. Being a half-second faster or slower in responding makes a huge difference in whether you get there in time.

Certainly Edey looked to be playing slow on defense at times which would be down to poor defensive anticipation (as he has the physical tools to play faster). This has to be a major concern.

One point in his favor is that he was Purdue's entire offense and expected to play close to 40 mpg. In many ways his top defensive responsibility was to stay out of foul trouble (I grew up in Corvallis in the late-80's. By he senior year Gary Payton's top defensive responsibility was staying out of foul trouble as he was the Beavers' entire offense). If he's expected to just play 24 mpg or something in the NBA as less than an extreme 1st option on offense then he could be much more aggressive and effective on defense.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,452

Post#47 » by Dr Aki » Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 am

Pelinka please

If you're not going to find a chunkster in free agency, at least consider one in the draft
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Post#48 » by RalphWiggum » Wed May 15, 2024 5:21 am

I don't think he'll be able to handle the pace of the NBA to dominate how he did in college but he's going to give some team a solid 15-20 minutes a night. A smart coach will make him an occasional situational nightmare.
dlughie
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#49 » by dlughie » Wed May 15, 2024 6:34 am

peZt wrote:That's why numbers dont mean anything. I really dont get americans obsession with the combine. What exactly do these numbers change? You've had 4 years to watch this dude, why would any numbers change what he has shown in those 4 years?

These numbers and the combine can be helpful for players who nobody has ever seen. To give you a hint about his game, if you dont have any other points to go by. But you've had a chance to watch all this guys play. You know if he is fast enough or not.

I really dont get it.

Why do people give a damn about someone's official wingspan in the combine? They believe wingspan measurements can give you a hint wether they can defend or not. But you have seen him play. You already know the answer. Why would an official measurement change anything about how that particular player defended the last 4 years?
Look at his tape of the last 4 years. Was he a good defender? Did his length give him struggles defending? That's your answer to the question, not some meaningless numbers from the combine. Or do you think he will suddenly be a different player because his measurements turned out good? It's not the measurements that matter, its the product on the court

Jalen Williams is one example why NBA Draft Combine is important. 3 years of college performance not enough to get him a lottery selection in mock drafts. Only after his NBA Combine that his draft stocks shoot up and he got selected in the lottery. And it paid dividend for OKC. NBA Draft Combine, measurements, etc are all important tools to evaluate prospects.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,426

Post#50 » by ItsDanger » Wed May 15, 2024 6:36 am

The intangibles are overlooked often. He plays physical and seeks out contact. I'm looking forward to him actually using his fouls finally. Might be one of the best screeners immediately.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,651

Post#51 » by peZt » Wed May 15, 2024 7:33 am

FrodoBaggins wrote:

I really dont get it.

This is terrible logic.

Terrible logic is watching somebody play for 4 years and then say "Oh his measurements turned out great, guess I should throw overboard my observations about him. He was terrible on defense and obviously not quick enough to guard anybody, but his agility numbers are great and that's what counts"
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,271

Post#52 » by FrodoBaggins » Wed May 15, 2024 7:48 am

peZt wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:

I really dont get it.

This is terrible logic.

Terrible logic is watching somebody play for 4 years and then say "Oh his measurements turned out great, guess I should throw overboard my observations about him. He was terrible on defense and obviously not quick enough to guard anybody, but his agility numbers are great and that's what counts"

Your analysis is very simplistic. You're not doing yourself any favors here.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#53 » by zero rings » Wed May 15, 2024 8:04 am

Is he really going to fall out of the lottery in this garbage draft? Like I get he's a bit of a relic, but the man flat out dominated college ball. NBA teams aren't going to have an answer for him, either.

He should be a solid pro as long as he isn't Boban level bad on defense.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,066

Post#54 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 am

His per36 numbers blow everyone away as far as scoring and boards. He really should be more highly regarded. I would love to have him on the Hawks
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,185

Post#55 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed May 15, 2024 12:13 pm

Wembenyama stopper.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#56 » by Devilanche » Wed May 15, 2024 12:19 pm

I mean ,
(I) if the draft is really so bad you still have to draft someone
(II) not a bad move to draft 6 fouls against wemby.

Is that worth 11-20 pick in this draft ? Or end of first ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,031

Post#57 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed May 15, 2024 12:28 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
seanbig wrote:His read and react isn’t tested in that test

But if he can hit the three then that will be HUGE

This.

Not having to react to the player you are defending his huge. You can totally practice running this drill.

And I'm from Lafayette, IN. and a total Boilers fan.

You can also learn to read and react, though.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,238

Post#58 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 15, 2024 12:52 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Myth wrote:I’m ready for Portland to draft Clingan and Edey at 7 and 14, then let them fight for playing time. Then trade the worse of the 2.
That makes sense. They can compete with Ayton and Robert Williams.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Green font?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,238

Post#59 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 pm

FrodoBaggins wrote:
peZt wrote:
FrodoBaggins wrote:This is terrible logic.

Your analysis is very simplistic. You're not doing yourself any favors here.

How is it wrong? We have seen the guy play and he isn't considered much of a prospect. Why would the drills change what we've seen on the floor?
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,970

Post#60 » by Anticon » Wed May 15, 2024 12:59 pm

Bigger story here, as Edey has been so scrutinized, is that Clingam seems to have escaped any similar scrutiny. A very risky top pick imo.

Return to The General Board