2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 3-1) 

Post#2301 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 14, 2024 11:17 pm

Allen, Mitchell, and Levert questionable for game 5.

CPJ doubtful.

TJ out.

Wade on a minutes restriction.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,769

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 3-1) 

Post#2302 » by CoP » Wed May 15, 2024 12:45 am

Celtics win 64 games in the regular season with one of the best net ratings of all time of +11.7

"Doesn't matter, all that matters is the playoffs."

Celtics start the playoffs 7-2 with a net rating of +12.3

"That doesn't count either."
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,650

Post#2303 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 1:55 am

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
They couldn’t even beat a weak ass Warriors team with the corpse of Klay and Wiggins being a key star :lol:

I don’t know if anyone told you buddy but Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis weren’t on that team and Derrick White was a bench player.

Weak ass Warriors team as well? LMAO. Some basketball knowledge.

Same Warriors core that didn’t even make the playoffs this year or no? Same main star, same main role players, same coach…

Holiday and KP weren’t on the team but Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, and Timelord were

On paper there was no reason for them to lose that series to the Warriors

Again pal, don’t know if you realise that teams change from year to year.

The Warriors have declined since. What a stupid argument.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,899

Post#2304 » by Triple M » Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 am

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
KamikazeK wrote:
CoP wrote:Oh I see what you're saying. OK, yeah I guess we'll see. Celtics have to make it there first, and that's no guarantee.

Wait, I just realized this person actually said "The Bucks had to beat a real team to win a title."

The Bucks had to beat the Suns led by Booker, who will probably never sniff another finals before they blow it up. "Real team." Yeah right.

The Celtics that year would've swept those Suns. You can't compare the booker-led Suns to a 3-time-champion dynasty.

Instead the Celtics got swept by the Nets with Brown missing. Oh and the Suns came back the season after winning 64 games in the West...

Celtics didnt get swept. Tatum dropped 50 in game 3. Best Tristan Thomas game in a Celtics uniform
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,968

Post#2305 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 1:59 am

Halibutton should be investigated for making team USA.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,295

Post#2306 » by John Murdoch » Wed May 15, 2024 2:02 am

I mean if im Mitchell id want to test UFA , this group isnt good enough
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Post#2307 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 15, 2024 2:54 am

John Murdoch wrote:I mean if im Mitchell id want to test UFA , this group isnt good enough
If he doesn't extend for the 2nd summer in a row the Cavs have to trade him this summer. There's no 2 ways about it. I know some Cavs are saying run it back but that's insanity.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,786

Post#2308 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:23 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:I mean if im Mitchell id want to test UFA , this group isnt good enough
If he doesn't extend for the 2nd summer in a row the Cavs have to trade him this summer. There's no 2 ways about it. I know some Cavs are saying run it back but that's insanity.

I agree with you. Cavs have a solid young team when Healthy, they can’t let Mitchell walk for nothing.
If I was Mitchell, I’d extend…I mean maybe he can find a better opportunity to win in free agency, but this Cleveland team has a good young core with or without him. I am not sure he will find a better situation.
Sign here
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 164

Post#2309 » by Astaluego » Wed May 15, 2024 12:30 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I agree with you. Cavs have a solid young team when Healthy, they can’t let Mitchell walk for nothing.
If I was Mitchell, I’d extend…I mean maybe he can find a better opportunity to win in free agency, but this Cleveland team has a good young core with or without him. I am not sure he will find a better situation.

Unfounded opinion of course but I think he has gone to a bigger market, if I had to bet I would say Brooklyn...Nets desperately need star talent,...although I agree that if he extends in Cleveland and they make adjustments, They could form a very competitive team
Old Mike Lorenzo
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,786

Post#2310 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:33 pm

Astaluego wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:If he doesn't extend for the 2nd summer in a row the Cavs have to trade him this summer. There's no 2 ways about it. I know some Cavs are saying run it back but that's insanity.

Unfounded opinion of course but I think he has gone to a bigger market, if I had to bet I would say Brooklyn...Nets desperately need star talent,...although I agree that if he extends in Cleveland and they make adjustments, They could form a very competitive team

Yeah he may want to be in a bigger market, sure. I am thinking about best chance for success on the court.
Sign here
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,078

Post#2311 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed May 15, 2024 1:09 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Well, let’s just agree and say that Cleveland has a young core without or without him
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,555

Post#2312 » by durden_tyler » Wed May 15, 2024 2:20 pm

Celtics -14.5

They played with their food already last game. Not going to happen back to back; Boston via a 28 pt blowout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#2313 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 15, 2024 3:06 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

^ This Bill Simmons tweet you guys are talking about... some fans on the Celtics board saw that and agreed with it too but I thought the poster BK_2020 made a series of good posts showing that it's a nonsense narrative.

The posts/photos are here if you want to check it out but basically the Celtics got 6 straight wide open looks to end the game and just missed them until Jaylen hit the dagger. Apparently Bill Simmons has no idea what a high pick and roll is.

viewtopic.php?p=113146217#p113146217

Not to put words in Simmon's mouth, but it's likely he doesn't consider running a simple high P&R to be "running the offense" but rather just a part of basic ISO ball.

We used to complain a lot about "LeISO" or LeBron ISO's which technically included a ton of high P&R and not because it didn't create open shots but rather how it had most of the team disengaged and passively watching rather than active and in rhythm.

On the other hand, when defensive pressure is at it's highest, sometimes it's beneficial to cut down on the passing because if the defenders are catching on to the patterns of the offense it can lead to turnovers and easy transition scores without much time coming off the clock.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#2314 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 15, 2024 3:15 pm

In this day and age he has another option, which is to take the extension, get the max, get the security and then ask for a trade as soon as he becomes eligible for one.

He may actually have more control over his destination that way then by going the UFA route. Even if a team he'd like to play for could free up the cap space to sign him outright and he knew this a year in advance, they may still be able to hold on to more assets if they acquire him via a trade.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#2315 » by Jadoogar » Wed May 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Mitchell out for game 5. Good night cleveland, see you next year.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,386

Post#2316 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 15, 2024 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#2317 » by KodiakBear » Wed May 15, 2024 3:51 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I don’t know if anyone told you buddy but Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis weren’t on that team and Derrick White was a bench player.

Weak ass Warriors team as well? LMAO. Some basketball knowledge.

Same Warriors core that didn’t even make the playoffs this year or no? Same main star, same main role players, same coach…

Holiday and KP weren’t on the team but Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, and Timelord were

On paper there was no reason for them to lose that series to the Warriors

Again pal, don’t know if you realise that teams change from year to year.

The Warriors have declined since. What a stupid argument.

Yeah, do people actually think like him? "A championship from years ago is discredited because in the present the team isn't as good!"
Weird logic that you could of course reverse to make anything more impressive by bringing up the past success if people really believe teams are stagnant and never change.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,650

Post#2318 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed May 15, 2024 3:54 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sucks big time.

While it’s nice to have the path cleared to the ECF like it has been, the competitor in me does miss watching my team actually face some proper challengers before getting there.

That Milwaukee series two years ago was stressful as hell at the time but memorable now looking back.

So far we’ve been subjected to complete snorefests this playoffs.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,386

Post#2319 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 15, 2024 3:58 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sucks big time.

While it’s nice to have the path cleared to the ECF like it has been, the competitor in me does miss watching my team actually face some proper challengers before getting there.

That Milwaukee series two years ago was stressful as hell at the time but memorable now looking back.

So far we’ve been subjected to complete snorefests this playoffs.

Give me 9 more snorefests and I'm fine.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,723

Post#2320 » by shi-woo » Wed May 15, 2024 4:03 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Astaluego wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:I agree with you. Cavs have a solid young team when Healthy, they can’t let Mitchell walk for nothing.

Yeah he may want to be in a bigger market, sure. I am thinking about best chance for success on the court.

Donovan just screams MIA to me.

Butler+ Highsmith and picks for Mitchel and Niang, who says no?

Return to The General Board