2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (IND WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the ECFs?

Knicks
33%
Pacers
67%

Total votes: 110

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,388

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 3-2) 

Post#5581 » by DaGawd » Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:Call me crazy but I do think the winner of game 6 takes the series. I think it’s a toss up in game 6 but if the Pacers make the proper defensive adjustments there’s short rest again before 3:30 game 7 on Sunday … let’s not overreact to 1 blowout at MSG and say Pacers can’t win there. They were right there the 1st 2 games and I think they’ll break through at some point.

knicks in 6
BaF
Washington Wizards
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,806

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #2 New York Knicks vs #6 Indiana Pacers (NYK leads 3-2) 

Post#5582 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 pm

Wilfried wrote:Did the Knicks just win by a margin of 30 points and did Thibs played Brunson and Hart around 40 minutes each? :crazy:

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=tVloFuZHnRcV_n-C8CiW9Q
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,783

Post#5583 » by Lord Commander » Wed May 15, 2024 12:53 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:Call me crazy but I do think the winner of game 6 takes the series. I think it’s a toss up in game 6 but if the Pacers make the proper defensive adjustments there’s short rest again before 3:30 game 7 on Sunday … let’s not overreact to 1 blowout at MSG and say Pacers can’t win there. They were right there the 1st 2 games and I think they’ll break through at some point.

You're basically saying that you think the pacers will win game 6. Of course the Knicks will win the series if they take game 6. :lol:

… let’s not overreact to 1 blowout at MSG and say Pacers can’t win there.

Yet there was overreaction after game 4...hmmm. And just an FYI, the winner of a tiebreaking game 5 wins 85% of the time. It's probably higher if that winner holds home court advantage but don't let me get in the way of your irrational hate., Mr. I'mnota6ersfanfromphilly :lol:
CKB
Senior
And1: 1,260

Post#5584 » by CKB » Wed May 15, 2024 1:29 pm

Brunson with 2 day rest will do wonders. His basketball IQ is so high. He already dissected the Pacers defense. No matter how many players the Pacers throw at him, he can still score, draw fouls or find the open shooter. The only way Pacers can win game 6 is shoot lights out like game 4. Hali needs to get 30+ points.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,870

Post#5585 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 2:18 pm

Wilfried wrote:Did the Knicks just win by a margin of 30 points and did Thibs played Brunson and Hart around 40 minutes each? :crazy:

Yeah. Once the game was secure Thibs let both of them sit. That extra rest should help a lot for game 6.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#5586 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I have such a respect/admiration for the way the Knicks play. Just competitive and physical as can be. They play above their “talent ceiling” which is somewhat of a backhanded compliment, but I think it is the greatest compliment you could give a team. I admittedly had not seen them play a ton before this series, but have really enjoyed watching they way they play. It’s 90s basketball with a modern twist. Much respect.

This team has been so much fun to watch all season that I couldn't have even been mad if the injuries overwhelmed us in the playoffs. But the way they have continued to battle has been so on brand for the way they've played all year.

It sucks that we don't have Randle, because him going off at the start of games gives Jalen time to dial it in and creates a lot of space for Brunson, but this team has just been too much fun to watch all season...Knicks - Bulls games in particular were just crazy scrappy this year :lol:

Hopefully we see healthier and more mature versions of these teams going at it in coming years as well!
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

kaansunman
Freshman
And1: 54

Post#5587 » by kaansunman » Wed May 15, 2024 2:49 pm

I am still surprised how Alec Burks stayed ready since the trade without playing. Only positive thing about not playing is your legs are fresh. Other than that you loose your in-game condititioning and this is one of the hardest abilities to recover.

I was criticizing Thibs not putting him in rotatation 3 mins there, 5 mins there (especially after Bojan) but when he called his number he ready, scoring double figures consistently.

cgf wrote:This team has been so much fun to watch all season that I couldn't have even been mad if the injuries overwhelmed us in the playoffs. But the way they have continued to battle has been so on brand for the way they've played all year.

It sucks that we don't have Randle, because him going off at the start of games gives Jalen time to dial it in and creates a lot of space for Brunson, but this team has just been too much fun to watch all season...Knicks - Bulls games in particular were just crazy scrappy this year :lol:

Hopefully we see healthier and more mature versions of these teams going at it in coming years as well!

As a Laker fan, I grow up with Van Gundy half of "Blood in the Garden" Knicks so it is a very special franchise for me. Finally with good management, right coach and player group that sprit is back, my childhood is back, Garden is back.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,784

Post#5588 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed May 15, 2024 3:11 pm

Lord Commander wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:After the last two games, I don't know how anyone is confident in their prediction the rest of the series.

Brunson demonstrating that he's not hampered gives me confidence. He's the best player on the court and it's not even close.

Not even close to close.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,321

Post#5589 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2024 3:48 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I have such a respect/admiration for the way the Knicks play. Just competitive and physical as can be. They play above their “talent ceiling” which is somewhat of a backhanded compliment, but I think it is the greatest compliment you could give a team. I admittedly had not seen them play a ton before this series, but have really enjoyed watching they way they play. It’s 90s basketball with a modern twist. Much respect.

Appreciated. This has been a fun series with two teams who play converging styles that max out their abilities. I don't think most analysts had either of our squads above the play-in heading into the year :beer:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#5590 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm

kaansunman wrote:I am still surprised how Alec Burks stayed ready since the trade without playing. Only positive thing about not playing is your legs are fresh. Other than that you loose your in-game condititioning and this is one of the hardest abilities to recover.

I was criticizing Thibs not putting him in rotatation 3 mins there, 5 mins there (especially after Bojan) but when he called his number he ready, scoring double figures consistently.

He was a real net negative for us when he first got here. Kind of a chuck and just lost on defense so he fell out of the rotation. We were losing his minutes bigtime.

I'm not surprised that he's found himself now that his number is called. He's had more time with the team now but also the Pacers sort of lend to guys who can space and get hot because of their high pace style that sacrifices defense. I think Philly, for example, could have shut him down and exploited him on defense. Vs. the Pacers, you can't get away with bruiser ball because they're too quick but a guy like Burks can match shot for shot.

Another case in point would be how much more effective Precious was at the 5 last night than he had been as starting 4. Very specific to playing this Pacers team.
BAF Clippers

Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 340

Post#5591 » by Hans1984 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:03 pm

Oh look another blowout. Yawn...
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 823

Post#5592 » by BrianInPhilly » Wed May 15, 2024 4:06 pm

I don't follow the Pacers too closely but I feel like inserting Jalen Smith into the rotation the next game could be a very good adjustment to help with rebounding/defense ... Any Pacers fan want to chime in on this?

In terms of where the minutes would come from, basically I think he should get the 14 min behind Turner and perhaps even a little behind Siakim. I think they should explore going bigger in spurts with Siakim at the 3' ... So basically let me come up with the minute distribution I'd try out next game

Haliburton - 38, McConnel - 22
Nembhard - 26, Shepperd - 16
Nesmith - 32
Siakim - 36, Toppin - 20
Turner - 34, Smith - 18

Total minutes = 240 by my math.
cgf
RealGM

Post#5593 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 4:09 pm

kaansunman wrote:I am still surprised how Alec Burks stayed ready since the trade without playing. Only positive thing about not playing is your legs are fresh. Other than that you loose your in-game condititioning and this is one of the hardest abilities to recover.

cgf wrote:This team has been so much fun to watch all season that I couldn't have even been mad if the injuries overwhelmed us in the playoffs. But the way they have continued to battle has been so on brand for the way they've played all year.

As a Laker fan, I grow up with Van Gundy half of "Blood in the Garden" Knicks so it is a very special franchise for me. Finally with good management, right coach and player group that sprit is back, my childhood is back, Garden is back.

As someone who became a Knicks fan as a kid in large part because Patrick Ewing shared a scowl with Oliver Kahn, I feel that deeply. Watching this team play, I do sometimes half expect Spree to check in :lol:

And that’s just MJ Burks. If you’re born with ice water in your veins, you don’t even need to really pay attention to come through when you’re needed 8-)

cgf
RealGM

Post#5594 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Appreciated. This has been a fun series with two teams who play converging styles that max out their abilities. I don't think most analysts had either of our squads above the play-in heading into the year :beer:

Yeah. That’s what I don’t think people appreciated about either team before this series / the playoffs.

Both are very good at imposing their style on a game, even against more “talented” (read: established/well-known) opposition…which has made these head to head clashes a ton of fun to observe.

What’s really cool is that between health, youth, & further moves, both of these teams could be much much better if they rematch in the near future.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#5595 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2024 4:17 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Yeah. That’s what I don’t think people appreciated about either team before this series / the playoffs.

Both are very good at imposing their style on a game, even against more “talented” (read: established/well-known) opposition…which has made these head to head clashes a ton of fun to observe.

What’s really cool is that between health, youth, & further moves, both of these teams could be much much better if they rematch in the near future.

I'm particularly interested in how Walker develops.
BAF Clippers

cgf
RealGM

Post#5596 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 4:19 pm

Capn'O wrote:

He was a real net negative for us when he first got here. Kind of a chuck and just lost on defense so he fell out of the rotation. We were losing his minutes bigtime.

I'm not surprised that he's found himself now that his number is called. He's had more time with the team now but also the Pacers sort of lend to guys who can space and get hot because of their high pace style that sacrifices defense. I think Philly, for example, could have shut him down and exploited him on defense. Vs. the Pacers, you can't get away with bruiser ball because they're too quick but a guy like Burks can match shot for shot.

Another case in point would be how much more effective Precious was at the 5 last night than he had been as starting 4. Very specific to playing this Pacers team.

While I hear what you’re saying, MJ has been making some genuinely good defensive plays and impressive reads. When he’s locked in like that he’s just a solid defender in most matchups.

He was hot garbage for us post-trade, but was very solid in his first Knicks stint when not being asked to be our PG, and there was a reason I expected him to make more of a playoff impact for us than Bogey…who, even at his best, is just hideous defensively.

Obviously Burks is playing over his head right now, but the man can give you solid defense with some self-creation and zero fear (or shame) as a shooter.

Edit:
I can see Precious at the 5 actually being huge for us against Boston…if we finish the job here. Sure KP is way bigger, but I wouldn’t bank on Kristaps beating Precious up on the glass & Achiuwa has the skillset to both defend KP on the perimeter & protect the rim.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#5597 » by Capn'O » Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

While I hear what you’re saying, MJ has been making some genuinely good defensive plays and impressive reads. When he’s locked in like that he’s just a solid defender in most matchups.

He was hot garbage for us post-trade, but was very solid in his first Knicks stint when not being asked to be our PG, and there was a reason I expected him to make more of a playoff impact for us than Bogey…who, even at his best, is just hideous defensively.

Obviously Burks is playing over his head right now, but the man can give you solid defense with some self-creation and zero fear (or shame) as a shooter.

Edit:
I can see Precious at the 5 actually being huge for us against Boston…if we finish the job here. Sure KP is way bigger, but I wouldn’t bank on Kristaps beating Precious up on the glass & Achiuwa has the skillset to both defend KP on the perimeter & protect the rim.

Absolutely agree on a potential Celts matchup. Burks can help there too.
BAF Clippers

cgf
RealGM

Post#5598 » by cgf » Wed May 15, 2024 4:32 pm

Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Edit:

Absolutely agree on a potential Celts matchup. Burks can help there too.

Yeah. IF KP is no healthier than OG for that potential series, we might just have the depth advantage…as I don’t think it’s crazy to argue for Jericho, Precious, MJ, & Deuce over Kornet, Horford, Hauser, & Pritchard

davidfr94
Senior
And1: 520

Post#5599 » by davidfr94 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:40 pm

Even if we win this series (something we wouldn't deserve), you cannot be pleased with what you are seeing from this pacers team.

You struggled a lot against the bucks without giannis in a series you could have easily lost without that game winning shot by haliburton.

Then you face this Knicks team that is playing without two starters and their backup center and their best player off the bench and you are getting blown out while being pretty much at full strenght ?

You are supposed to have two max player (counting siakam) and you cannot dominate this Knicks team playing without FOUR IMPORTANT PLAYERS ?

I am not sure we really have a choice giving siakam that max contrat but man that guy is such a weird player. i don't know if this New version of him, going from that Athletic, Quick do it all forward to this kind of slow/smooth post UP player, IS really what we needed to take that next Step.
He lacks strengh so he has trouble getting to his spot and doesn't dominate at all out there on both end of the floor. He can't even take advantage of being guarded by hart. That is not a max player at all for me.

At some point it is important not confusing inexperience and just not being very good.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 520

Post#5600 » by davidfr94 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:41 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:I don't follow the Pacers too closely but I feel like inserting Jalen Smith into the rotation the next game could be a very good adjustment to help with rebounding/defense ... Any Pacers fan want to chime in on this?

In terms of where the minutes would come from, basically I think he should get the 14 min behind Turner and perhaps even a little behind Siakim. I think they should explore going bigger in spurts with Siakim at the 3' ... So basically let me come up with the minute distribution I'd try out next game

Haliburton - 38, McConnel - 22
Nembhard - 26, Shepperd - 16
Nesmith - 32
Siakim - 36, Toppin - 20
Turner - 34, Smith - 18

Total minutes = 240 by my math.
I dont know what happened with Smith tbh. He began the year as a starter then became the first (and only) big off the bench with Jackson only playing when either Smith or turner was injured.

Then out of nowhere Carlisle just decided not to play him at all anymore against Milwaukee. He doesn't look injured or anything, just weird maybe something happened that we don't know of. He did have a pretty good year also so really weird

Sent from my 22011119UY using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board