Anyone else find the Celtics boring to watch?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

guynumber45
Ballboy
And1: 76

Anyone else find the Celtics boring to watch? 

Post#1 » by guynumber45 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:26 am

Can't help but find myself falling asleep watching their games. Part of it might just be the fact they haven't really been challenged yet. But the 3-point chucking style of play just isn't very appealing. They will occasionally have flashes of great ball movement, but then revert back to dreadful isolation ball. They also lack that magical player that wows you every time they are on the screen. Their best players are pretty good at everything, but not elite at any one thing, making them kind of "meh" to watch.

Maybe I'm just being a hater, but I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same way.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,964

Re: Anyone else find the Celtics boring to watch? 

Post#2 » by Karate Diop » Thu May 16, 2024 1:29 am

Nope, I agree, and it's compounded by the fact that they complain A LOT and are constantly acting like victims despite getting some of the most friendly officiating in the league.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,915

Post#3 » by Kalela » Thu May 16, 2024 1:29 am

I find them boring too. I think it is because they are either ISOing or chucking threes.
Fire Mazzulla
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,179

Post#4 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 am

They're an ATG team that doesn't fit the profile of the ATG team. Most ATG teams have a player who is considered best in the NBA. Tatum is amazing but he's not quite that amazing. So I can see why you don't enjoy much.

But I disagree with the idea they are iso ball They have way more play varitey than a club like Dallas for instance.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,677

Post#5 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:32 am

I dont care for the times when they fall in love with the 3 ball because when they are moving the ball around their offense is unstoppable. Everybody in their starting lineup is a great passer. I dont find them boring to watch i just want to see them move the ball around and get good shots. Tatum settles for too many 3s i think. Its hard not to cheer for Horford too.
Above The Rim
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#6 » by Above The Rim » Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 am

Porzingis makes them more fun to watch imo.
Sikk_Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#7 » by Sikk_Handlez » Thu May 16, 2024 1:35 am

well they haven't faced any real competition yet, and likely won't until the finals. they just playin with their food right now and sleepwalking to wins. intensity will pick up in the finals.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,688

Post#8 » by Statlanta » Thu May 16, 2024 1:35 am

It's not hate they just don't have that one special quality that sets them apart from other teams historically.

Tatum is an MVP level player and is likeable but is he that much fun to watch than even 39 year old LeBron, as an athlete?

The rest of the team is quality on defense but they are not suffocating like the 2000s Pistons and they are definitely not a quality offense team like the 2000s Suns.

Their all-time great RS statistics feels like beating a wounded Eastern Conference rather than the greatness of their roster.
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,911

Post#9 » by Triple M » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 am

If Den makes the finals which is th assumption again, do people prefer waticing them vs. the Knicks/Pacers or the Celtics because while the Knicks/Pacers are more entertaining i doubt they have the talent to match who ever comes out the West
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 39,544

Post#10 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu May 16, 2024 1:36 am

They weren’t boring at all during the regular season. The playoffs aside from maybe a couple Heat games early, the Celtics energy just looks low and they play slow. So I don’t fault anyone finding them boring right now. Competition currently isn’t gonna excite anyone coming into the game lately.
guynumber45
Ballboy
And1: 76

Post#11 » by guynumber45 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:They're an ATG team that doesn't fit the profile of the ATG team. Most ATG teams have a player who is considered best in the NBA. Tatum is amazing but he's not quite that amazing. So I can see why you don't enjoy much.

But I disagree with the idea they are iso ball They have way more play varitey than a club like Dallas for instance.

I agree that Dallas lacks a lot of variety in their offense. But I still enjoy their games. It's probably cause Kyrie and Luka play with swagger and charisma on the court which makes them fun to watch. I don't feel the same watching Tatum/Jaylen
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,330

Post#12 » by TheSheriff » Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 am

guynumber45 wrote:Can't help but find myself falling asleep watching their games. Part of it might just be the fact they haven't really been challenged yet. But the 3-point chucking style of play just isn't very appealing. They will occasionally have flashes of great ball movement, but then revert back to dreadful isolation ball. They also lack that magical player that wows you every time they are on the screen. Their best players are pretty good at everything, but not elite at any one thing, making them kind of "meh" to watch.

Maybe I'm just being a hater, but I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same way.

Historic offense. Best offensive net rating of all time. You may not like the aesthetics of it, but they are objectively great.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,377

Post#13 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 am

It’s not the Celtics specifically it’s the dreadful eastern conference. These teams just fold and roll out the red carpet as soon as the playoffs start
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,883

Post#14 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 16, 2024 1:40 am

I’ve never had a fun time watching one of their games this year. Even their losses are just sort of sad, with an undercurrent of deep frustration and confusion. Joyless ball.
bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 767

Post#15 » by bballfan1three3 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:42 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:They're an ATG team that doesn't fit the profile of the ATG team. Most ATG teams have a player who is considered best in the NBA. Tatum is amazing but he's not quite that amazing. So I can see why you don't enjoy much.

Disagree, mavericks have fun ball handlers. Celtics play like a red lobster, fancy to look at, somehow popular/good, surprisingly bland
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,591

Post#16 » by DaPessimist » Thu May 16, 2024 1:49 am

They shoot a lot of 3's, which isn't always the most exciting offense to watch. Their defense is fun to watch though.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,662

Post#17 » by Tyakack » Thu May 16, 2024 1:54 am

I was pretty bored watching the game today. They are fun to watch when they move the ball and everyone is playing with the right energy. Which is how they played for the majority of the regular season.

I'm with you though. They often revert back to ISO ball while everyone else just stands there and does nothing. That is very boring and as a Celtics fan, frustrating.

I do think a huge part of the reason you are bored right now though is because the Celtics haven't faced a team that had any real chance of beating them yet. You will be alot less bored from here on out I think.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,573

Post#18 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 am

Tatum is an awful watch most of the time, and Brown is not much better.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#19 » by DarkAzcura » Thu May 16, 2024 1:56 am

Karate Diop wrote:Nope, I agree, and it's compounded by the fact that they complain A LOT and are constantly acting like victims despite getting some of the most friendly officiating in the league.

LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,082

Post#20 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:58 am

First playoffs I've fallen asleep watching them
Tatum and Brown have no entertainment factor
They truly need a exciting player with emotions to get the vibes going for them.

I've been saying they need to find a way to get Draymond green this off season. He would be the heart of that defense and offense
Bronny will become Murray 2.0

Return to The General Board