Has Donovan Mitchell Played His Last Game In A Cavs Uniform?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Has Spida Played His Last Game In Cavs uniform?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 125

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,100

Re: Has Donovan Mitchell Played His Last Game In A Cavs Uniform? 

Post#101 » by dockingsched » Thu May 16, 2024 12:24 am

louc1970 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I wonder if this doesn't put Lakers in the driver's seat because Cavs are not getting a star back for an expiring contract unless he agrees to an extension, they might be able to give Cavs Austin Reaves + 2 first round picks for Mitchell. That's about as good of a player as Cavs would get I would think, but who knows, maybe they can do better but Lakers would do it because players stay with them more than any other team in the NBA nobody tries to leave them.

I believe Reaves + Hachimura + Vincent for Mitchell would work salary wise, and then add the two frps. They can't do D'lo unless he opts in. Not a fantastic package but if Mitchell said he would only re-sign with the Lakers I think the Cavs would have to take it. We'll have to see.

If that is all it takes, Lakers would be outbid by a dozen teams willing to go for gold for one year.

There is no way there’s “a dozen teams” lining up to trade much more than two top of the rotation players and 2-3 firsts for Mitchell. It would be too risky for most teams for the same reason Cleveland would be trading him in the first place.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#102 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 am

axeman23 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Meeksology wrote:I also feel a Mitchell and Wemby pairing would make a lot more sense that Trae and Wemby.
Mitchell plus #20 for #4, #8, and w.e players to salary match? I'd kick the tires on that, if I'm the Cavs.

That would be my dream scenario, then (for me), pick Risacher and Dalton Knecht. Run Knecht at the 2, Risacher at the 3, give the PG reins back to Garland.
louc1970 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Meeksology wrote:I also feel a Mitchell and Wemby pairing would make a lot more sense that Trae and Wemby.
Mitchell plus #20 for #4, #8, and w.e players to salary match? I'd kick the tires on that, if I'm the Cavs.

If the primary get us the picks, Johnson/Collins equals salary.
If the Cavs want decent players with youth, Johnson, Sochan, Graham.
Yeah, the only issue i see is the Cavs won't be able to have Mitchell sign the extension until after the draft, so they won't know if he will turn it down.

I wish the NBA did the off-season like the NFL, in terms of doing FA before the draft, just makes more sense.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 196

Post#103 » by louc1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 am

QingJames wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
QingJames wrote:I feel bad for Cleveland. That Mitchell deal was so horrible. Not only did they mortgage their future in picks, they traded Markkanen who is straight-up a better player than Mitchell.
Wrong hater. Da Spida is so much better but continue with your bias hate which is the only reason.

Wrong. Mitchell's archetype of player does not lead to wins. Inefficient combo guard chucker with fake defense. You just can't win with a guy like that as your best player, and his skillset is replicable by three dozen other players. Who contributes more to winning, D Mitchell or D Vincenzo? Casual ball-watchers will say Mitchell and be dead wrong. He's a losing player, like Beal, LaVine, and all the other overrated 2 guard """""stars""""" in this league.

Roger Murdock wrote:The Jazz started losing 20 games more each season with the better player while the Cavs took a massive leap forward. Interesting.

Bad post. Teammates obviously matter and so do the Jazz's pathetic, embarrassing attempts to be bad on purpose. On an individual level, Markkanen is clearly better and has a better skillset. I don't even think Markkanen is this amazing player, but Mitchell is one of the most overrated players in the league. He negatively impacts winning in the postseason. We've seen it for years. Cavs should try to trick some other dumb team into taking on his terrible contract.

Go and look at the record Mitchell lead Utah to prior to leaving, Look at the record Mitchell lead the Cavs to the last 2 years.
He doesn’t lead to wins?
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,051

Post#104 » by Nate505 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:42 am

louc1970 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:I don't think so, but if he does try to pout his way out behind the scenes I wouldn't be totally shocked.

That does not fit Mitchell’s personality at all.

Sure it does. It's literally how he got out of Utah.

What would not fit his personality is publicly demanding a trade.
louc1970
Senior

Post#105 » by louc1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:44 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I wonder if this doesn't put Lakers in the driver's seat because Cavs are not getting a star back for an expiring contract unless he agrees to an extension, they might be able to give Cavs Austin Reaves + 2 first round picks for Mitchell. That's about as good of a player as Cavs would get I would think, but who knows, maybe they can do better but Lakers would do it because players stay with them more than any other team in the NBA nobody tries to leave them.

I believe Reaves + Hachimura + Vincent for Mitchell would work salary wise, and then add the two frps. They can't do D'lo unless he opts in. Not a fantastic package but if Mitchell said he would only re-sign with the Lakers I think the Cavs would have to take it. We'll have to see.

If that is all it takes, Lakers would be outbid by a dozen teams willing to go for gold for one year.

Possibly but you're not considering that he can tell a team like the Nets or whoever he's not going to sign an extension to stay there then all the sudden that package drops to worse than what the Lakers were offering. A lot of times in these scenarios players like a small list of teams they'll re-sign with and then their team pretty much has to trade them there. Seen it so many times. Lakers though might be willing to risk it when other teams won't if they aren't on his list. So it's a little more complicated than just best package wins. If he had 3 years left it would be but he has 1.

Edit: oh you said teams willing to give better packages without an extension? Oh I disagree then.

Yet I could see t plainly. OKC could give some young players - Giddey, Wallace, Dieng - and a couple picks to Cleveland for Mitchell. The hope of OKC would be winning changes his mind.
If it doesn’t work out, S&T to his preference.
OKC risks little due to the number of picks they would still have, the return from the S&T, and still being a young team.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,631

Post#106 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 16, 2024 12:51 am

Lakers are no chance to trade for Spida. Zilch, Zippo, Zero.
He'll end up at Miami. Lock it in.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#107 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 am

doogie_hauser wrote:Lakers are no chance to trade for Spida. Zilch, Zippo, Zero.

If MIami is not trading Butler or Bam then who? I'd rather have Reaves than Herro.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,631

Post#108 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 16, 2024 12:58 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:Lakers are no chance to trade for Spida. Zilch, Zippo, Zero.

If MIami is not trading Butler or Bam then who? I'd rather have Reaves than Herro.

I think they will offer up JJJ tbh
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#109 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 1:01 am

louc1970 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
louc1970 wrote:If that is all it takes, Lakers would be outbid by a dozen teams willing to go for gold for one year.

Possibly but you're not considering that he can tell a team like the Nets or whoever he's not going to sign an extension to stay there then all the sudden that package drops to worse than what the Lakers were offering. A lot of times in these scenarios players like a small list of teams they'll re-sign with and then their team pretty much has to trade them there. Seen it so many times. Lakers though might be willing to risk it when other teams won't if they aren't on his list. So it's a little more complicated than just best package wins. If he had 3 years left it would be but he has 1.

Edit: oh you said teams willing to give better packages without an extension? Oh I disagree then.

Yet I could see t plainly. OKC could give some young players - Giddey, Wallace, Dieng - and a couple picks to Cleveland for Mitchell. The hope of OKC would be winning changes his mind.
OKC risks little due to the number of picks they would still have, the return from the S&T, and still being a young team.

Presti doesn't trade for stars he tries to build through the draft. Doesn't seem like his MO to do that without an extension.

But who knows, I'm not saying you're wrong about other teams offering better packages, I don't know about a dozen of them. But most of the time the player with 1 year left gives a list of teams he wants and they end up there with an extension. AD for example wanted the Lakers and guess where he went?
louc1970
Senior

Post#110 » by louc1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:11 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Presti doesn't trade for stars he tries to build through the draft. Doesn't seem like his MO to do that without an extension.

But who knows, I'm not saying you're wrong about other teams offering better packages, I don't know about a dozen of them. But most of the time the player with 1 year left gives a list of teams he wants and they end up there with an extension. AD for example wanted the Lakers and guess where he went?

You may not say I am wrong but I will say it. I’m wrong about a lot of things.
Presto likes to build through the draft is right. But at some point, you trade to get that last piece that puts the team over the top.
OKC needs a defensive center to play against Jokic/Wemby. Holmgren can guard Wemby but is too light to play against Jokic. So going for Mitchell may not be the best move. It might be to gamble early and draft Edey just for that matchup.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#111 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:35 am

QingJames wrote:I feel bad for Cleveland. That Mitchell deal was so horrible. Not only did they mortgage their future in picks, they traded Markkanen who is straight-up a better player than Mitchell.

Laurie is not a better player. He's really good but he is a #2 and Mitchell is a #1.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#112 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 2:18 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:

Laurie is not a better player. He's really good but he is a #2 and Mitchell is a #1.
Lol not even. Mobley is number 2 and is an untouchable! I would use Markkanen as trade bait to bring in another superstar if they value him that much.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 20,004

Post#113 » by RHODEY » Sat May 18, 2024 6:48 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

Yeah Reaves gets the nod.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,082

Post#114 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:19 pm

Delusional :lol:
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,082

Post#115 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:20 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I think they will offer up JJJ tbh

Reaves is better
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,614

Post#116 » by Tor_Raps » Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 pm

Mitchell, Allen and filler to the Pelicans for Ingram, McCollum and picks.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#117 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 18, 2024 9:34 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Mitchell, Allen and filler to the Pelicans for Ingram, McCollum and picks.
That is an absolutely terrible trade for the Cavs.

They're gonna wanna nickel and dime this retool.

Get as much as ya can for 1 of Garland/Mitchell, get as much as ya can for Allen, then hopefully get as much as ya can for LeVert. If you can tag Niang into one of those deals, even better. Maybe sign and trade Okoro if he gives ya a chance without signing an offer sheet.

There should be a lot of individual trades, not lumping guys together, makes no sense.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,614

Post#118 » by Tor_Raps » Sat May 18, 2024 9:49 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Mitchell, Allen and filler to the Pelicans for Ingram, McCollum and picks.

Get as much as ya can for 1 of Garland/Mitchell, get as much as ya can for Allen, then hopefully get as much as ya can for LeVert. If you can tag Niang into one of those deals, even better. Maybe sign and trade Okoro if he gives ya a chance without signing an offer sheet.

There should be a lot of individual trades, not lumping guys together, makes no sense.

I did mention filler so the Cavs can trade any bad contract they want while the Pelicans would have to add a couple of 1st rounders.
xb3at band1tx
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#119 » by xb3at band1tx » Sat May 18, 2024 9:53 pm

I think Pelicans are in the driver seat if they include Ingram, Cavs goal rn is probably maintaining their young core and keeping one of the guards is paramount for that.

Otherwise I can see a sneaky team like the Lakers giving up AR for him since Mitch is in FA or like someone else said, the Heat or OKC
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#120 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 18, 2024 10:53 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I did mention filler so the Cavs can trade any bad contract they want while the Pelicans would have to add a couple of 1st rounders.
The larger point is the Cavs can't afford to lump Allen and Mitchell together in a trade, terrible use of assets. Especially for an expiring Ingram and another terrible back court fit in CJ, for Garland.

Return to The General Board