Garland to ask out if Mitchell extended

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Re: Garland to ask out if Mitchell extended 

Post#141 » by basketballRob » Thu May 16, 2024 6:41 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
eyriq wrote:Garland at 22 and 23 was a top 15 guard in the league. He's had injury issues this season and the fit with Mitchell isn't ideal, but if I'm another team I'm trying to acquire him.

Would you like the fit for the Magic?

I think the cost would be too high.
If Mitchell stays, Cleveland decides that Okoro is a 2G or a SF. Then the trade request for Garland becomes either Suggs and filler or F. Wagner and filler.
Not sure Magic would want to give up either.
The Magic wouldn't trade either one for Garland.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#142 » by louc1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Spurs should take a long look at Garland.

Offer the Collins, Sisko, #4 and 8, call it done.
Cavs pick up: Dillingham, Knecht.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 197

Post#143 » by louc1970 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Garland’s biggest issue (offensively) this year is the best player he can pass to is Mitchell.
Allen gets hurt.
Mobley has not progressed.
SF is a black hole.

Cleveland is a 2 person team on offense. LeVert, Strus show up every now and then.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#144 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 16, 2024 7:43 pm

Zeno wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Zeno wrote:I thought about that but it would only be ‘perfect’ if Franz could shoot. If not, I am not sure if that really solves that Cavs issues at all. And if Franz can shoot, then Orlando would be making a mistake.

Franz shot better in previous years, it wouldn't be crazy to bet on his shooting returning. Just like it wouldn't be crazy to bet on Garland playing a whole lot better if he ever gets back to 100%.

Yeah, I was arguing against the trade being perfect is all. Both teams would be making a bet.

If both players were playing great and fitting great with no issues, it would be very hard to pry either loose.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,732

Post#145 » by Sign5 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:46 pm

Cleveland's gotta be top 3 most unsuccessful franchises relative to their luck/success drafting and acquiring talent.

-Couldn't provide Lebron a legit star 2nd option in his first tenure.

-Suck until he comes back. Acquired multiple first overall picks from that sucking. Questionable 4th pick in TT, colossal bust with Anthony Bennett,.

-Win a ring of a literal once in a life time scenario off the back of the arguable GOAT and top 75 player ever in Kyrie (unofficially).

Acquire midget IT for disgruntled Kyrie and trade for pieces that ultimately don't fit. Lebron once again leaves essentially being a one man show.

Years past and after more years of sucking and stockpiling assets they find a seller for a star in Mitchell. After witnessing Dame Lillard/CJ continuing to fall short, Cavs view their budding small PG Garland and instead of doing what most non-GMs suggested. Which is trade Garland for a formidable wing but instead they go along and re-sign Garland knowing they both need the ball in their hands to be most effective.

Now Garland trade value is at its lowest and will now garner less in any package. That's if Mitchell doesn't decide to bolt.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,035

Post#146 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 pm

Sign5 wrote:Cleveland's gotta be top 3 most unsuccessful franchises relative to their luck/success drafting and acquiring talent.

-Suck until he comes back. Acquired multiple first overall picks from that sucking. Questionable 4th pick in TT, colossal bust with Anthony Bennett,.

-Win a ring of a literal once in a life time scenario off the back of the arguable GOAT and top 75 player ever in Kyrie (unofficially).

Acquire midget IT for disgruntled Kyrie and trade for pieces that ultimately don't fit. Lebron once again leaves essentially being a one man show.

Years past and after more years of sucking and stockpiling assets they find a seller for a star in Mitchell. After witnessing Dame Lillard/CJ continuing to fall short, Cavs view their budding small PG Garland and instead of doing what most non-GMs suggested. Which is trade Garland for a formidable wing but instead they go along and re-sign Garland knowing they both need the ball in their hands to be most effective.

Now Garland trade value is at its lowest and will now garner less in any package. That's if Mitchell doesn't decide to bolt.

Cleveland had young LeBron sidekick was Larry Hughes smh.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#147 » by phraoh » Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 pm

As a Cavs fan, I wanted them to trade Garland and Allen LAST offseason, but for some reason they thought the obvious mismatch in fit with no offensive big (with Allen and Mobley), and two ball dominate small guards would work???!! It was pretty obvious that the playoffs last year against the Knicks proved the lack of fit. Now, they are probably ready to trade Allen and Garland, even though Garland's value is down due to the fit, as well as Allen's sitting out 8 games in the playoffs, and being roasted by the Knicks last year.

I really think Mitchell wants to stay WITH changes promised, being coach and Garland gone, along with Allen. Should be an interesting offseason for Cavs.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,336

Post#148 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 8:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Zeno wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Franz shot better in previous years, it wouldn't be crazy to bet on his shooting returning. Just like it wouldn't be crazy to bet on Garland playing a whole lot better if he ever gets back to 100%.

Yeah, I was arguing against the trade being perfect is all. Both teams would be making a bet.

If both players were playing great and fitting great with no issues, it would be very hard to pry either loose.

That is true. It is a bet by each team on improvement but to me the Magic would have to believe that Franz will never shoot to do this whereas Cleveland is way more motivated to solve duplication given the current situation.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#149 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:12 pm

Before Mitchell came to town, I remember Garland being really really good. It's just not a great fit and Garland looks like he's lost his confidence.

I don't hold it against Garland wanting to get himself into a better situation, but I hate this style of reporting. Keep that **** in-house instead of publicly trying to push every damn player to the Lakers.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach

Post#150 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:18 pm

phraoh wrote:As a Cavs fan, I wanted them to trade Garland and Allen LAST offseason, but for some reason they thought the obvious mismatch in fit with no offensive big (with Allen and Mobley), and two ball dominate small guards would work???!! It was pretty obvious that the playoffs last year against the Knicks proved the lack of fit. Now, they are probably ready to trade Allen and Garland, even though Garland's value is down due to the fit, as well as Allen's sitting out 8 games in the playoffs, and being roasted by the Knicks last year.

I really think Mitchell wants to stay WITH changes promised, being coach and Garland gone, along with Allen. Should be an interesting offseason for Cavs.

It's easy to say they needed to find a better fit, but what was the trade to make where they actually get better on the floor, not just bringing in mid-round draft capital? How often do straight-up player for player swaps actually happen?

They definitely waited too long to get max value for their players, but that's the risk teams have to take when they're trying to contend. You don't get to the Championship by hemorrhaging talent; you just try to make it work.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach

Post#151 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm

Sign5 wrote:Cleveland's gotta be top 3 most unsuccessful franchises relative to their luck/success drafting and acquiring talent.

Again, what wing player was available at the time that would have made the Cavaliers a better team overall?
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,144

Post#152 » by Effigy » Thu May 16, 2024 8:23 pm

Too bad the Cavs weren't eliminated in Game 4 instead of Game 5. If Garland's game 4 was his last game, that would have really helped his value. But then game 5 happened and people were like 'oh yeah, that's who he is'
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 548

Post#153 » by Bloodbather » Thu May 16, 2024 8:28 pm

Can definitely see a trade with the Spurs here. Spurs could offer picks and Keldon Johnson.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach

Post#154 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:44 pm

louc1970 wrote:Garland’s biggest issue (offensively) this year is the best player he can pass to is Mitchell.
Allen gets hurt.
Mobley has not progressed.
SF is a black hole.

Cleveland is a 2 person team on offense. LeVert, Strus show up every now and then.

I'm curious what Mobley's progression would have looked like on another team. Coming out of his first year, we all thought he had the skills to make a big leap on offense. Then he just never got anymore touches.

It's like watching Domas when he was on the Thunder, they just didn't utilize him at all and turned him into a catch and shoot guy. Oladipo, kind of like Mitchell, just wasn't the type of guard that fits well next to a dynamic big man. The same thing happened to Porzingis in his short Dallas stint.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,274

Post#155 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 16, 2024 8:46 pm

With this Play-off run, Garland surely earned the right to dictate such a thing.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,591

Post#156 » by DaPessimist » Thu May 16, 2024 9:49 pm

I don't think Mitchell stays in Cleveland. Can they offer him significantly more money than other teams?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#157 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 16, 2024 10:02 pm

Zeno wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Zeno wrote:

That is true. It is a bet by each team on improvement but to me the Magic would have to believe that Franz will never shoot to do this whereas Cleveland is way more motivated to solve duplication given the current situation.

If you want to count on Anthony Black or Jalen Suggs improving their play-making ability or just work with whatever you can get with your cap space, sure, but that's a bet too. :D
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,336

Post#158 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Zeno wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If you want to count on Anthony Black or Jalen Suggs improving their play-making ability or just work with whatever you can get with your cap space, sure, but that's a bet too. :D

I'm not a fan of the Magic but I think Franz as a shooter given position is more valuable than Garland as a guard regaining his pre-Mitchell form. So I would only trade Franz for Garland if I lost hope he can shoot, otherwise I try to get him cheaper or a cheaper alternative asset-wise.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#159 » by ogmagicfan » Thu May 16, 2024 10:22 pm

louc1970 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
eyriq wrote:Garland at 22 and 23 was a top 15 guard in the league. He's had injury issues this season and the fit with Mitchell isn't ideal, but if I'm another team I'm trying to acquire him.

If Mitchell stays, Cleveland decides that Okoro is a 2G or a SF. Then the trade request for Garland becomes either Suggs and filler or F. Wagner and filler.

Franz is a 2 way young star, wouldnt make sense to trade him for Garland

Same with Suggs, the whole point of getting Garland is we could place Suggs next to him so he can cover his defensive weaknesses as much as possible

Anthony Black, Mo Wagner, Gary Harris (S&T), future 1st round pick unprotected, & 2025 Den 1st round makes sense

Anthony Black to compliment Mitchell defensively and shot well from 3 specifically C&S

Gary Harris shoots well from 3

Mo Wagner provides depth at the Center position for the inevitable Jarrett Allen trade

and a couple 1st rounders for yall to move for more pieces/depth

Lets assume that Jarrett Allen gets traded for Ingram

Mitchell
Black
Ingram
Wade
Mobley

is alot better as a starting five specifically complimentary than what yall had this past season

if yall move a 1st rounder for Dorian Finney or Royce O Neal, the depth off the bench is gonna be nice too.

Craig Porter, Gary Harris, Dorian Finney, Mo Wagner
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,396

Post#160 » by Capn'O » Thu May 16, 2024 10:24 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Franz is a 2 way young star, wouldnt make sense to trade him for Garland

Same with Suggs, the whole point of getting Garland is we could place Suggs next to him so he can cover his defensive weaknesses as much as possible

Anthony Black, Mo Wagner, Gary Harris (S&T), future 1st round pick unprotected, & 2025 Den 1st round makes sense

Anthony Black to compliment Mitchell defensively and shot well from 3 specifically C&S

Gary Harris shoots well from 3

Mo Wagner provides depth at the Center position for the inevitable Jarrett Allen trade

and a couple 1st rounders for yall to move for more pieces/depth

Lets assume that Jarrett Allen gets traded for Ingram

Mitchell
Black
Ingram
Wade
Mobley

is alot better as a starting five specifically complimentary than what yall had this past season

Don't love that deal on the Cavs side but if I were the Cavs, I would covet Black next to Mitchell.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to The General Board