Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 18th

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,330

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 1 

Post#81 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
I completely agree but this has been a JB issue for years where he overplays guys, especially when starters are out leading to more injuries. It’s been a common criticism of him for 3 prior seasons and we’ve faded down the stretch every year

Then fire him. Or you talk to him. There is NO reason to do this that is valid, and this kind of thing does not get any kind of positive response.

They screwed up by not firing him but they will. Altman and JB were close and I think it was hard for him to fire him but it got really obvious

I would be *shocked* if this wasn’t a conversation that had happened many times leading up to this. It’s been a JB issue for a long time as mentioned and it would make sense if JB not listening caused the blowup

Koby seems pretty even keeled overall. I don’t think him exploding is in character

You can't say in the same breath that its hard for him to fire a friend but its ok to publically yell at him in front of staff.

I'm skeptical this did happen because I would literally fire any exec that did this because it would mean they just have no clue about leadership, and there's no way I would be in the minority about that.

I said it then and will say it again... the trade for Mitchell was rushing their process and it wasn't the right move.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,472

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes 

Post#82 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu May 16, 2024 7:43 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:If this is true, that is absolutely shameful. No Boss should ever berate an employee in front other people. That is a conversation you have behind closed doors in a respectful manner.

Strictly to play Devil’s advocate, maybe he did, even multiple times already.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 1 

Post#83 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 10:10 pm

toooskies wrote:This is why there were reports that JBB was on thin ice early in the season. This, and the 13-12 start.

Then he went 18-2 in the middle of winter, got the 4th seed despite the Cavs missing more games from players than any team that isn't Memphis, got a playoff series win, and ultimately lost to the title favorite team significantly because of injury.

This is a tidbit from a story that you'd have written if the Cavs pressed the self-destruct button when Mobley and Garland got hurt. That story wasn't published at the time because JBB re-earned his job. He may have done it again in the playoffs. (I'd fire JBB if better coaches were available like last summer, I just don't see any proven ones available right now.)
Shoot, I'll take the unknown/unproven at this point. jb stinks.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#84 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 10:18 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
djsunyc wrote:a possibility is that mins were discussed with jbb before and he ignored them this game.

Is that any excuse to lose your composure and yell at/berate an employee in front of this staff and piers? You already know that.

Before others of you say yes, the answer is no, that's not how good leaders operate and for a reason.
Koby is a literal drunk, dude was probably fully turnt when he stumbled into jb's office.

Most everyone realizes that jb is a terrible coach but his dad is in the front office and Gilbert has always been cheap when it comes to coaches and GMs.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes 

Post#85 » by Oscirus » Thu May 16, 2024 10:26 pm

DLoMor wrote:And yet no criticism to Thibs or Nurse for nonstop playing his players too many minutes???

Do either Thibs or Nurse works for the cavs or said cavs president? If not, don't see how that's relevant
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#86 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 16, 2024 10:33 pm

Man I would love to hear that the Pistons POBO was screaming at Monty during the season for having horrendous rotations.

Oh wait, they haven't had someone in that role since 2018.

*sigh*
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,179

Post#87 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:45 mins for an OT game isn't that bad. If that's too much for Spida, then you need to find yourself another franchise player

Or as Thibs would call it, an light, easy warmup

This is what Tibs would call a pleasant walk

Spoiler:
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,528

Post#88 » by JXL » Thu May 16, 2024 10:56 pm

Please. Thibs played DiVincenzo 53 minutes. No one bats an eye. That shows the softness in Cleveland.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#89 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:45 mins for an OT game isn't that bad. If that's too much for Spida, then you need to find yourself another franchise player

Spoiler:
Lol I doubt Thibs can even reach .5 km carrying his guntō before he'd fallen from heat exhaustion while his prisoners laugh as they go.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,051

Post#90 » by Nate505 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:19 pm

10DayContract wrote:
DLoMor wrote:Honestly JB is in a tough situation, he did the best he could do with the team, they were injured in the playoffs and still won a game against the Celtics, he may not be the best best best coach but he certainly isn't close to anywhere near the worst either.

But to be fair, Cleveland is kind of a crappy place and it seems like the GM is an ass, maybe he might be better off leaving Cleveland, Idk.

He could be good on Washington probably as well if he were to get fired.

We all must face facts. Young millionaires don't want to really live in places like Cleveland.

I've always found it funny that the reason these guys are millionaires is because franchises exist in Cleveland, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, OKC, etc. yet they all seem to hold a lot resentment to playing there.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,892

Post#91 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:39 pm

Nate505 wrote:
10DayContract wrote:
DLoMor wrote:Honestly JB is in a tough situation, he did the best he could do with the team, they were injured in the playoffs and still won a game against the Celtics, he may not be the best best best coach but he certainly isn't close to anywhere near the worst either.

But to be fair, Cleveland is kind of a crappy place and it seems like the GM is an ass, maybe he might be better off leaving Cleveland, Idk.

We all must face facts. Young millionaires don't want to really live in places like Cleveland.

I've always found it funny that the reason these guys are millionaires is because franchises exist in Cleveland, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, OKC, etc. yet they all seem to hold a lot resentment to playing there.

It's just one of those things fans and "pundits" throw around.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,871

Post#92 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:If this is true, that is absolutely shameful. No Boss should ever berate an employee in front other people. That is a conversation you have behind closed doors in a respectful manner.

Strictly to play Devil’s advocate, maybe he did, even multiple times already.

It could be done 100 times, but not in front of people. If you as a boss disrespect the coach, it gives other people permission to do the same thing. You do not set that precedent.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#93 » by toooskies » Fri May 17, 2024 12:14 am

Nate505 wrote:
10DayContract wrote:

Players that want to play in places where there's lots of things for young millionaires to do often get distracted by those very things. J.R. Smith knows the wisdom of playing somewhere where you won't get in too much trouble.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,521

Post#94 » by celtxman » Fri May 17, 2024 12:19 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Spoiler:

Shoot I remember Thibs when he got his first Head Coach position in Chicago, played Derrick Rose and John Salmons 60 minutes each out of 63 minutes in a 3OT game. Mitchell playing 45 minutes out of 53 was just about a DNP for Thibs.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,439

Post#95 » by Frank Dux » Fri May 17, 2024 12:19 am

Mavrelous wrote:Koby Altman is the one that should be fired, from his drunk driving incident to berating a coach in front of his staff...

Also giving his coach an awkward, unbalanced roster.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#96 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 am

Nate505 wrote:
10DayContract wrote:

Just cause one plays there doesn't mean they have to live there. I would play for the Cavs as a bench warmer for a cool 50k plus expenses.

Return to The General Board