Murray is scoring on 46% TS in these playoffs

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,112

Re: Murray is scoring on 46% TS in these playoffs 

Post#61 » by Special_Puppy » Fri May 17, 2024 7:57 pm

binjumper wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Relax, guys. He's had two bad games this series, was solid to very good in the other 4.

Nuggets lost by almost 50, and the entire bench shot something like 4/27 (and 25% on FTs). Don't need to start making Murray the scapegoat here.

Murray has been horrible all post-season. He was horrible in the Lakers series too.

Murray literally took over in 2 games against the lakers in the 4th and buried them.

Murray averaged 23.6 points on 46.8% TS in that series.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,469

Post#62 » by PushDaRock » Fri May 17, 2024 8:22 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:I said the Nuggets would be a surefire dynasty if they had a better #2 option.

Sticking by it despite Murrary's prior playoff excellence. If he's not volume scoring with good efficiency, his value greatly diminishes. As is evident during this playoff run.

He's averaging 24pts 4.9reb and 6.2 ast with 50/40/90 splits in his playoff career. And he's ok defensively. That's a great 2nd option

Where is this 50/40/90? He's at 46/39/91.

Those splits aren't bad but you have to consider the mix of his shots - taken altogether, he's scoring on 57% TS for his playoffs career. Considering how he's playing in the most ideal situation possible for a guard (next to Jokic), this is fairly underwhelming when you match that up with the playoff reputation that he has.

He was 63% and 59% TS the previous 2 playoff years, which is where the reputation comes from. Definitely not underwhelming at all as he was easily the 2nd best player on the court during that Championship run.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,469

Post#63 » by PushDaRock » Fri May 17, 2024 8:25 pm

We can talk about consistency and he definitely has a lot of random 5 point games during the regular season but it's not a consistency issue when he's just been awful point blank the entire playoffs. Even his 32 point game took 28 shots to do it, so logic would say the injuries are most likely affecting him a lot his play a lot right now.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,204

Post#64 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:He's injured. It's pretty evident he doesn't have the pop or explosivness he had last year when he was dancing around pick & rolls and cutting out peoples throats.

He's making the occasional good play but night to night it's been pretty brutal. It doesn't help that he's playing against a murder of crow perimeter defensive group in Minnesota.

He's hurt but he's always hurt. Injury proneness is as much a part of a player's make-up just like height or weight is.

Beyond that, I've always been skeptical of his game. Now, I've had to eat crow a few times cause he can go on hot streaks because of his off-the-dribble and movement shooting during the playoffs but for the most part he's been a streaky shooter throughout his career. When his shot is off, what else is he bringing to the table? He doesn't get to the rim well at all and because he can't beat his man he can't get easy buckets for himself, stress the defense or get to the line. He has a tendency to overdribble into really difficult shots and often gets tunnel vision. He has nice synergy with Jokic but pretty much every player that plays with Jokic synergizes well with him. I'm not convinced that he's an all-star level guard that many like to paint him as.

No pushback on his injury prone-ness. I generally always hope a player with injury problems gets a good run of health and changes the narrative. Sometimes it happens! Sometimes it ruins a players career. I'm pointing out his injury right now because I think a lot of people are ignoring it and choosing to believe he's just playing bad because he's not that good.

I think healthy Jamal Murray is one of the most dynamic screen action guards in the NBA. Not only does he have the deep pull up range, but he knows how to leverage the threat of the pull up into driving and playmaking opportunities. He's a crafty finisher when he does get to the hoop, though he's not a prolific driver. He's one of the most active guard cutters in the league. Yes, this synergizes beautifully with Jokic, but I think Murray would maintain a surprising amount of value paired with a more mundane dribble hand off hub (think Hartenstein or Nurkic). He combines high motor scoring aggression with a lot of cleverness and timing. On top of that, I think his secondary skills are very solid in terms of playmaking and defense. He's not amazing in this areas but he's above average.

People want to call it a hot streak, but when you go on multiple 20-game hot streaks in the playoffs when it matters most, it's hard to discount that. On the flip side, he's never had a regular season where he's really had much of an argument to make the all-star game.

Murray just turned 27 and might have quite a bit of prime basketball. His injuries might continue, or his injury like could improve. I don't buy the argument that we should accept who he is at his worst and call that the more accurate version of Murray. I'm also fine with people pointing out his 2 playoff runs aren't the whole picture either.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 664

Post#65 » by PedroFlu » Fri May 17, 2024 11:39 pm

If he's really injured, no one is beating Boston this season. Shame
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,827

Post#66 » by Mos_Heat » Sat May 18, 2024 7:27 am

Peregrine01 wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:I said the Nuggets would be a surefire dynasty if they had a better #2 option.

Sticking by it despite Murrary's prior playoff excellence. If he's not volume scoring with good efficiency, his value greatly diminishes. As is evident during this playoff run.

He's averaging 24pts 4.9reb and 6.2 ast with 50/40/90 splits in his playoff career. And he's ok defensively. That's a great 2nd option

Those splits aren't bad but you have to consider the mix of his shots - taken altogether, he's scoring on 57% TS for his playoffs career. Considering how he's playing in the most ideal situation possible for a guard (next to Jokic), this is fairly underwhelming when you match that up with the playoff reputation that he has.

My bad, I looked at the different column. But anyways it's still slightly better than Kyrie's averages. Who was and maybe still is a very solid 2nd option. And Murray is bigger and better defensively than him
:reporter:
ohmuri
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#67 » by ohmuri » Sat May 18, 2024 8:49 am

HotelVitale wrote:Gotta read the posts and points made within them, we're talking about something past where you all are at here. To repeat 1) he shot poorly against the Lakers but they didn't really need him to play well against them (hence he didn't 'tank' anything for them), and 2) he's only had two bad games vs the Wolves and those were the games the whole team got slapped silly in. Him playing decent in those 2 games wouldn't have mattered, and he's been okay to quite good in the other 4 games.

Doesn't mean he's actually been a-okay or there haven't been some concerning things, just saying that I fear people are going to quote this stat endlessly thinking they're showing that Murray was the cause of any DEN failure and showing that Murray can't do it when it matters most. Neither of those seems right, even though it is right that he's been off these PO overall.

Don't think you can cherry-pick like that. When he's shooting every shot in the first quarter at those abysmal percentages he does tank the team. Sometimes you can get out of that hole, but it makes life very difficult for everyone and the opposing team feeds off that, specially this Wolves team that seems to play much more relaxed when in the lead.
ohmuri
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#68 » by ohmuri » Sat May 18, 2024 8:54 am

I think he's hurt and that makes him less effective, my criticism then is why playing alongside the best player in the world does he shoot the most in the team. First quarter of game 6 for instance, he went like 1/10. Hasn't adjusted the slightest to this version of himself, maybe picking better his places and leveraging the defensive attention on him to distribute a little more.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#69 » by Alatan » Sat May 18, 2024 9:08 am

People who only watch stat spreadsheets and highlights dont have the full picture at all. Murray is a rhitham killer. He tends to overdribble, loves to chuck bad shots without much regard to shot clock or teammate position for rebounding or recovery. He ofthen goes on cold streaks and puts your whole team in a bad spot and then comes out hot when the game is alleeady under cobtrol. A horrible player to have as a second option. Defensively he is also a constant negative.
To be honest he was a major part of the championship and Denver would not have won it without him playing as good as he has, but even in those playoff runs where he was good he was not as goid as the stats would suggest. There were plenty of games where he would start awful and almost push the team to the brink of loss only to explode in quarter and make up for his dumb plays. The problem is when teams figure out that he cant be relied upon and overload on Jokic. Then the worst oh his tendencies come out.

A big reason Denver won those away games in Minny was because the took away the ball from Murray and forced him into a SG role without much decision making.
Id love to trade him for someone more reliable. Murray is not a good 2nd option but can be a great 3rd one.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,726

Post#70 » by dygaction » Sat May 18, 2024 9:11 am

Murray did not sign the $144M/3yr extension last October, hoping to get supermax $303M/5yr. With this season's performance, I am not sure Nuggets should offer the same amount. Would any other team want a $50M/yr Jamal?

https://www.givemesport.com/jamal-murray-supermax-contract-extension-setback-denver-nuggets/

Preparing for a supermax deal
Nuggets guard, Jamal Murray is currently only contracted with the team until the end of the 2024-25 season after he signed a five-year, $170 million maximum extension back in 2019. The Canadian is currently eligible to sign a three-year, $144 million extension but it is expected that he will choose to forgo signing that offer, likely because he is only one All-NBA or All-Star team nomination away from qualifying for an NBA supermax contract extension. If he were to receive either of these individual accolades this season, then he would instantly become eligible to sign a five-year, $303 million extension, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks.
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,965

Post#71 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 18, 2024 9:30 am

dygaction wrote:Murray did not sign the $144M/3yr extension last October, hoping to get supermax $303M/5yr. With this season's performance, I am not sure Nuggets should offer the same amount. Would any other team want a $50M/yr Jamal?

https://www.givemesport.com/jamal-murray-supermax-contract-extension-setback-denver-nuggets/

Nuggets guard, Jamal Murray is currently only contracted with the team until the end of the 2024-25 season after he signed a five-year, $170 million maximum extension back in 2019. The Canadian is currently eligible to sign a three-year, $144 million extension but it is expected that he will choose to forgo signing that offer, likely because he is only one All-NBA or All-Star team nomination away from qualifying for an NBA supermax contract extension. If he were to receive either of these individual accolades this season, then he would instantly become eligible to sign a five-year, $303 million extension, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks.

They already won a ring, Nuggets will give the max money they can offer next season to Murray as long as Jokic is onboard and there's no way Nikola will say no that. All this breaking up this championship core is nonsense, they waited 56 years to win a championship and they will restart again incase they don't suceed to defend their NBA title knowing Jamal is hobbled? That's kinda stupid. They will retool with their starting 5, maybe they trade for Bruce Brown again and grab a decent back-up center along the way but their starting line-up will remain intact.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#72 » by dygaction » Sat May 18, 2024 9:38 am

One Last Shot wrote:
dygaction wrote:Murray did not sign the $144M/3yr extension last October, hoping to get supermax $303M/5yr. With this season's performance, I am not sure Nuggets should offer the same amount. Would any other team want a $50M/yr Jamal?

They already won a ring, Nuggets will give the max money they can offer next season to Murray as long as Jokic is onboard and there's no way Nikola will say no that. All this breaking up this championship core is nonsense, they waited 56 years to win a championship and they will restart again incase they don't suceed to defend their NBA title knowing Jamal is hobbled? That's kinda stupid. They will retool with their starting 5, maybe they trade for Bruce Brown again and grab a decent back-up center along the way but their starting line-up will remain intact.

If Nuggets were to lose game 7 to TWolves, what makes you think Jokic would want to hurt the team's salary cap and flexibility just to get his buddy a huge contract? Will any team offer more than $35M/yr to Murrayafter this season with concerns over no all star, no all-nba, health, and performance?
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,965

Post#73 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 18, 2024 9:49 am

dygaction wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

If Nuggets were to lose game 7 to TWolves, what makes you think Jokic would want to hurt the team's salary cap and flexibility just to get his buddy a huge contract? Will any team offer more than $35M/yr to Murrayafter this season with concerns over no all star, no all-nba, health, and performance?

They are together for almost a decade and they geniunely like each other and grow together as NBA stars. As long as he's onboard and I'm sure that he will be, Murray will get the max that he deserves. Jokic knows what he's capable of when he's healthy, we all do. I still think the Nuggets will win it all this season and Murray will be better moving forward. Let's wait until the Game 7 and the Wolves somehow eliminated them before we can seriously speculate about Jamal's future with the Nuggets, it could be moot point for all we know if they successfully defend their NBA title, don't you think? Win or lose, in my opinion he will get the max contract in the offseason the same way Klay got his max contract after he tore his ACL in 2019 Finals.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#74 » by nikster » Sat May 18, 2024 10:10 am

Mos_Heat wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:He's averaging 24pts 4.9reb and 6.2 ast with 50/40/90 splits in his playoff career. And he's ok defensively. That's a great 2nd option

My bad, I looked at the different column. But anyways it's still slightly better than Kyrie's averages. Who was and maybe still is a very solid 2nd option. And Murray is bigger and better defensively than him

Might be better defensively than Cavs Kyrie but this year's Kyrie I think is playing much better defensively
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#75 » by dygaction » Sat May 18, 2024 10:18 am

One Last Shot wrote:
dygaction wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

They are together for almost a decade and they geniunely like each other and grow together as NBA stars. As long as he's onboard and I'm sure that he will be, Murray will get the max that he deserves. Jokic knows what he's capable of when he's healthy, we all do. I still think the Nuggets will win it all this season and Murray will be better moving forward. Let's wait until the Game 7 and the Wolves somehow eliminated them before we can seriously speculate about Jamal's future with the Nuggets, it could be moot point for all we know if they successfully defend their NBA title, don't you think? Win or lose, in my opinion he will get the max contract in the offseason the same way Klay got his max contract after he tore his ACL in 2019 Finals.

I was talking about losing game 7 senario. Of course everyone gets paid if they win again this year.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Post#76 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 18, 2024 12:04 pm

He's beat up and facing tough defenses. Much ado about nothing
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 570

Post#77 » by TheShow2021 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:07 pm

One Last Shot wrote:
They are together for almost a decade and they geniunely like each other and grow together as NBA stars. As long as he's onboard and I'm sure that he will be, Murray will get the max that he deserves.

I'll never understand this level of cuckery and why so many here are living vicariously through NBA players and their salaries.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Post#78 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 18, 2024 1:54 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:
They are together for almost a decade and they geniunely like each other and grow together as NBA stars. As long as he's onboard and I'm sure that he will be, Murray will get the max that he deserves.

I'll never understand this level of cuckery and why so many here are living vicariously through NBA players and their salaries.

Yeah, i deserves that. 8-) :lift: thanks, jamal.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Quentin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,286

Post#79 » by Quentin » Sat May 18, 2024 2:06 pm

A lot of players are playing injured. Ant sprained his ankle a couple of times already. Then had that hard fall Thursday. KAT has that surgically repaired knee that caused him to miss the last month of the season. Jamal seems like a pussy to me.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,908

Post#80 » by Peregrine01 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:46 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:He's injured. It's pretty evident he doesn't have the pop or explosivness he had last year when he was dancing around pick & rolls and cutting out peoples throats.

He's making the occasional good play but night to night it's been pretty brutal. It doesn't help that he's playing against a murder of crow perimeter defensive group in Minnesota.

He's hurt but he's always hurt. Injury proneness is as much a part of a player's make-up just like height or weight is.

Beyond that, I've always been skeptical of his game. Now, I've had to eat crow a few times cause he can go on hot streaks because of his off-the-dribble and movement shooting during the playoffs but for the most part he's been a streaky shooter throughout his career. When his shot is off, what else is he bringing to the table? He doesn't get to the rim well at all and because he can't beat his man he can't get easy buckets for himself, stress the defense or get to the line. He has a tendency to overdribble into really difficult shots and often gets tunnel vision. He has nice synergy with Jokic but pretty much every player that plays with Jokic synergizes well with him. I'm not convinced that he's an all-star level guard that many like to paint him as.

No pushback on his injury prone-ness. I generally always hope a player with injury problems gets a good run of health and changes the narrative. Sometimes it happens! Sometimes it ruins a players career. I'm pointing out his injury right now because I think a lot of people are ignoring it and choosing to believe he's just playing bad because he's not that good.

I think healthy Jamal Murray is one of the most dynamic screen action guards in the NBA. Not only does he have the deep pull up range, but he knows how to leverage the threat of the pull up into driving and playmaking opportunities. He's a crafty finisher when he does get to the hoop, though he's not a prolific driver. He's one of the most active guard cutters in the league. Yes, this synergizes beautifully with Jokic, but I think Murray would maintain a surprising amount of value paired with a more mundane dribble hand off hub (think Hartenstein or Nurkic). He combines high motor scoring aggression with a lot of cleverness and timing. On top of that, I think his secondary skills are very solid in terms of playmaking and defense. He's not amazing in this areas but he's above average.

People want to call it a hot streak, but when you go on multiple 20-game hot streaks in the playoffs when it matters most, it's hard to discount that. On the flip side, he's never had a regular season where he's really had much of an argument to make the all-star game.

Murray just turned 27 and might have quite a bit of prime basketball. His injuries might continue, or his injury like could improve. I don't buy the argument that we should accept who he is at his worst and call that the more accurate version of Murray. I'm also fine with people pointing out his 2 playoff runs aren't the whole picture either.

I think these are fair assessments. The thing with him that can be confounding is that he can look like an All-NBA guard because of his shot-making. When he's on, the value that he brings to a team's offense can be like that of Steph's - which is to say, enormous. The issue is that he doesn't have the consistency of Steph's shooting nor his ability to get to the rim or his motor to cause havoc off-ball. So when he's off, he doesn't have a lot else to go to stress defenses.

I have a hard time imagining that he'd retain a lot of his value when paired with big men who aren't offensive threats. Without a big who can draw bigs out of the paint there won't be open lanes for him to attack and he's just not a guy who gets downhill very well.

Return to The General Board