Will Anthony Edwards overtake Kevin Garnett as the GOAT Timberwolves player with a Championship?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,751

Will Anthony Edwards overtake Kevin Garnett as the GOAT Timberwolves player with a Championship? 

Post#1 » by Drygon » Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 am

Obviously, I'm well-aware of how amazing Kevin Garnett was in the 2000s. However, there are some legitimate criticism during KG's during time at the franchise

- KG didn't elevate his game come playoffs time, especially compared to Ant
- KG wasn't good enough as a true #1 option on a Championship contender.

Career PER regular season:

KG: 23.7
Ant: 17

Career PER play offs:

KG: 23.3
Ant: 26.1

Career BPM regular season:

KG: 6.2
Ant: 0.9

Career BPM play offs:

KG: 6.2
Ant: 8.1

----

As the title says: Will Anthony "Ant" Edwards overtake Kevin Garnett as the GOAT Timberwolves player with a Championship?
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,601

Re: Will Anthony Edwards overtake Kevin Garnett as the GOAT Timberwolves player with a Championship? 

Post#2 » by CodeBreaker » Mon May 20, 2024 3:14 am

Obviously yes.

This is like Wade overtaking Alonzo Mourning
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,841

Re: Will Anthony Edwards overtake Kevin Garnett as the GOAT Timberwolves player with a Championship? 

Post#3 » by rapstarter » Mon May 20, 2024 3:15 am

Yes. Not better than KG, but easy GOAT if he continues to play like he has.
badpotato
Sophomore
And1: 461

Post#5 » by badpotato » Mon May 20, 2024 3:16 am

He already did in my eyes.
When the individual feels, the community reels.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,102

Post#6 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2024 3:16 am

Depends if Ant gets finals mvp. What if KAT wins finals mvp?

Wouldn’t he get a claim with all numbers he’s already put up for them? I mean at least for the time being til Ant gets his own accolades.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,144

Post#7 » by Effigy » Mon May 20, 2024 3:19 am

dockingsched wrote:Depends if Ant gets finals mvp. What if KAT wins finals mvp?

Wouldn’t he get a claim with all numbers he’s already put up for them? I mean at least for the time being til Ant gets his own accolades.

Why would that matter? KG didn’t even get to the finals with the TWolves. KG’s Boston title is not a factor here.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,701

Post#8 » by Statlanta » Mon May 20, 2024 3:20 am

No because his career coincides with KAT who first broke the playoff curse(obviously with help)
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,609

Post#9 » by jokeboy86 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:21 am

Hell no and this is a ridiculous question. Anybody who was alive during KG’s career knows he was playing for an incompetent franchise who really only got him serious help for one season (‘04). The amount of brain dead things the T-Wolves did during KG’s time there was embarrassing(ex Joe Smith).
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,246

Post#10 » by firedavidkahn » Mon May 20, 2024 3:21 am

That's actually a tough one

But ya if Ant gets a ring in Minny he will eclipse KG

:o I never thought a player would actually have a legitimate shot of that but Ant really does
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,102

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 am

Effigy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Depends if Ant gets finals mvp. What if KAT wins finals mvp?

Why would that matter? KG didn’t even get to the finals with the TWolves. KG’s Boston title is not a factor here.

I have no idea what you’re talking about regarding KG Boston stuff.

I’m saying that if wolves win the title, and KAT wins finals mvp, he’d have a claim as wolves GOAT player over Ant for now.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dmakk
Sophomore
And1: 185

Post#12 » by dmakk » Mon May 20, 2024 3:25 am

As the Timberwolves GOAT, absolutely. As good as KG was in Minny, he only got out of the first round once.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,911

Post#13 » by jkvonny » Mon May 20, 2024 3:26 am

These TWolves teams of the past few seasons are better and younger than those 'late '90s - mid '00s TWolves KG/Wally/ Cassell teams, I think.

This one has a higher ceiling and potential for years to come.

IF IF they do win a championship. Yes, Obv Edwards would probably be the GOAT of TWolves.
multo
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#14 » by multo » Mon May 20, 2024 3:28 am

KG didn't have this much help when he was in Minny. But if Ant wins the chip this year, yeah probably.

Return to The General Board